Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
image5.JPG

Found this guy while out on an unsuccessful deer hunt. Was chasing a small creek when I found an old trash pile, old cans pieces of old shoes, in the trash I found the lid from a carbide can, well I thought where there is smoke there might be fire and quickly lost interest in deer lol. It looks like someone started dismantling the mill as the parts for the other half were piled up under a nearby tree. Its a mystery mine, I looked in the mines and mineral resources book for the county (three editions actually) couldn't find anything, it isn't on the old topo maps, it isn't listed on MRDS. It is obviously a bigger operation than other more documented mines in the area. Its the biggest mill I know of in the area and there are pretty extensive piles of crushed quartz. I normally carry a small pan in my pack when I'm out hunting but that day I forgot.

OP
OP
N

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As I understand it those two sites get their mine information from USGS MRDS

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice find keep us updated. Thank you.

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's that you say? You need someone to go explore the area with? Why of course I'll drive. :D

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting a few samples to run would tell you a lot about what that mine was after and talking to Older Locals in the area have helped me in these type searches, don't forget Historical societies.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is there any crushed ore around the old stamp mill? A good place to start panning if there is some crushed ore laying around.

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I understand it those two sites get their mine information from USGS MRDS
There's BLM and MRDS. I have even seen some pulled off the diggings I'm pretty sure. I can try to locate info for you, I have no intentions on going out there lol. I've had pretty good luck flipping between minecache, the diggins, mindat, and old historic topo maps. Just let me know man, I'd be happy to help. Mindat and diggins might be the best bet because it shows more than just gold. It lists every mine ever registered (since registry).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The State may have a updated listings of all the "Mineral surveys" that could be of help.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Try the California Claims Map N-. Those maps not only have mining claims but you can turn on the complete MRDS too.

This is the same MRDS information that diggins, mindat, minecache and all the others use but there is another new layer that pulls that all together. The "Topo Mineral Features" layer has information on all the mining locations from all the old topo maps. Just click on a feature and you will get information about the mine, prospect, shaft, adit or tunnel. Between the MRDS layer and the Topo Features you have more mine information available with a couple of clicks than any other source. I see a bunch of mining features around Arcata that are not on the MRDS.

The Topo Features layer is an ongoing project of the USGS. Their intention is to eventually merge the MRDS information with the Topo Features so the mines will be properly located and documented. The MRDS alone is locationally very inaccurate and has a lot of duplicates. The Topo Features are accurate within 40 foot. Putting those two layers together on the same map is unique to Land Matters and is just a taste of what's to come. The USGS is doing the Topo Features project state by state. Most of the west is done so you will find the Topo Features and MRDS layers on every Land Matters Mining Claims Map.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, the MRDS is inaccurate, but only to a certain degree. Most of the time you can have a pretty good idea of the claim location. As far as duplicates, it is duplicated a crap ton...but only because they list every claim name for that area. I will click on an icon, and 11 different names show up, which I think is pretty cool because it shows the history of the claim, a list of names to date back, and just goes to show that the original owners missed some, the owners after that missed some, etc., etc. Which makes me more confident when thinking that all the gold hasn't been mined out :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was there a shaft there or just the mill? I'm wondering if maybe it was located there as a center point for other mines in the areas and was only a stamp mill.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Was there a shaft there or just the mill? I'm wondering if maybe it was located there as a center point for other mines in the areas and was only a stamp mill.
May be listed as a "Mill site".

OP
OP
N

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have not found a shaft yet but found what I think was an adit, the forest circus caved all the adits in the area as far as I know and it looks just like what I have seen at other area mines. I checked out your map page first actually, which made for such a nice surprise. I'll go to the historical society when I get back in town.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
image2 (1).JPG image1 (4).JPG image3 (1).JPG image4 (2).JPG

The flat area pictured I believe is all tailings like shown with my fingers.

How the heck do you get the pictures to show right side up?

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wonder what the base cast iron weights? Would be a interesting rebuild.

OP
OP
N

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am guessing a lot lol.

anyone ever try sluicing stamp mill tailings? Depending on how they processed the crush it could have a lot of mercury in it?

I was thinking maybe a recirculating beach box would be good.

Last edited:

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I am guessing a lot lol.

anyone ever try sluicing stamp mill tailings? Depending on how they processed the crush it could have a lot of mercury in it?

I was thinking maybe a recirculating beach box would be good.

If the tailings are white, those are usually post-cyanide tails. You won't find much of anything in them.

OP
OP
N

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They are pretty light colored dang. I'll do a little sampling next time I am out that direction, can't hurt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread