Really cool Mica mine.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just a little friendly advice in your search for gold. I assume that is your main interest (?).

Have you made yourself familiar with this site? Welcome to Land Matters. When you open the link, click on maps at the top of the page, then click on mining claims on the right side, then click on New Mexico mining claims on the right side of the page. Existing mining claims are highlighted and your best chance to find gold is to search for it close to those claims. There are numerous claims in the north central part of the state above Albuquerque to just south of the Colorado line as well as south and east of there. If your search area is not very near by those claims then the likelihood of you finding gold is greatly diminished....just saying. That said, I love exploring old mine sites and if you find their camps then the detector may yield some interesting results.

Have fun.

OP
OP
S

Smokehouse_83

Jan 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No gold claims on this side of the mountain, but there are some over the ridge on the Pecos side. Makes no sense, I think miners lied about claims around here. This is outlaw country. Most of the mines on this side aren’t even mapped cause they are old Spanish mines.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Open land matters and click on historical mining claims activity. I see that there is a large cluster of CLOSED claims east of the Espanola (and other parts of the Rio Grande drainage area including placer. As far as making no sense.....The view from my house is a mountain range with virtually no mineralization on my side of the mountain but gold (said to be first exploited by the spaniards) and a major copper deposit on the opposite side. Hoodathunkit?

Have fun.

OP
OP
S

Smokehouse_83

Jan 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mineralization here is crazy, about every mineral you can think of within 12 miles of here. That is why I think there has to be gold and silver, but there are zero Gold or silver claims. The geologist told us of a creek that she found large flakes of gold in and we plan on going up there to sluice and explore this summer

StreamlineGold

Apr 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on a lot of factors.. we have one particular mountain that has lots of veins full of muscovite and iron staining but are bareen. In the same mountain veins deposited in a different time period carry values... and have a totally different look

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread