Hard Rock Geology for Dummies?

barrelroll

Dec 14, 2016
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Years ago I took a geology class back in college but have 0 clue how I passed and retained nothing. Now that I live in an area with a ton of gold and work in a mine (not a gold mine) I'd like to learn about what I'm looking at. When we are out 4 wheeling we'll poke around old mines but I have 0 clue if the rock I just tripped over is ore or waste rock.

Any suggestions on some decent geology for dummies books or stuff to watch on you tube?

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey barrelroll, Youtube has a ton of guys explaining and showing what your are looking at and why. Believe it or not there are other things other than gold and silver to look for when you are out exploring. Punch in geology and off you go watching and listening to hours of information that you heard once but forgot. Some of the ladies and gentlemen here actually post on youtube just to let you know.

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Handbook for Prospectors by Richard Pearl or older editions by VonBernewitz..google it for various internet prices....also google rock,gem or mineral forums on the web.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im no were near gold country but i do like watching "Ask Jeff Williams" on you tube, he has quit a few videos on what to look for....

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My suggestion is to also talk to geologists. Where I live (Maine) they have so much information online that the geologists told me tons of people go to their website, but no one actually takes the time to call them.

I am sure they are busy, but the ones I have talked to said they love talking with the public because it reaffirms that their work has meaning.

I am not saying do not go on YouTube (I do), or laugh along with Jeff Williams antics (I do), but State Geologists have a wealth of information to give out as well.

OP
OP
B

barrelroll

Dec 14, 2016
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thanks for the ideas. I'll have to order a couple books and waste some more time on Youtube.

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just keep in mind in finding gold there is more than just geology. That is part of it, but topography is another huge aspect. There basically is geology that tells where the gold came from in rock form, but topography tells you where the gold is migrating too.

My fortunate finds have not just come from bedrock mapping, nor surficial mapping, but combining the two. How did the melting glaciers change the topography? And when they melted, where did all that volume of water flow too? I have spent hundreds of hours staring at bedrock and surficial maps trying to envision; when the plug got taken out of the bathtub, where did the water flow? Where were the eddies? Where did the gold drop out, etc.

CGC Miner

Nov 18, 2010
High Rockies
Detector(s) used
GB2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Barrel.
You've got the interest now that will fuel the learning! It's tough going at first. So much to confuse you....

My best advice is: train your eyes to look for and notice the peculiarities. The differences. The rock or ore that is different than the mass of others.

Once you have found a curious sample, do what you can to research that. Google the heck out of it. Then you will know and your knowledge will grow from there!

OP
OP
B

barrelroll

Dec 14, 2016
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the ideas. I'll have to see what the state has out. We spend most of our time in Colorado 4 wheeling so learning Colorado specific geology would be nice.

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Read the mining reports for your area of interest and they comtain all the local rock types.State and Fed Gov't reports available at local main libraries and universities and online.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions