Anyone here hard rock mining in northeast Oregon?

Zsloff

Aug 15, 2019
Knoxville, TN
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a mining claim in northeast Oregon and have been driving a shaft for two years now with my partners. Lots of hard work and problem solving. I wanted to see if anyone on here was also hard rocking in Oregon. I live in Tennessee and work the claim during the spring and fall. We started with running the tailings from the previous mining and moved on to having the claim surveyed by a geologist. And driving a shaft on one of the targets that was mapped out. Lots of sulfides, pyrites, manganese, chrome galena, and gold. This is my first time posting and just joined recently. Have been using TreasureNet.com as a guest until now.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to treasurenet! I can't help you with your questions, but I'm subscribing to the thread because I'm interested in the subject.
Good luck with your claim and your mine!

People like me would be interested in learning more about your experience - how you found the claim, how you worked the tailings to start, how you found a geologist, what that person told you (and what you asked first). I think I'm like a lot of readers: we live vicariously through those who post stories here (because we can't do these things ourselves, whether it be because of health, age, or - for me - location and family. No gold in New Jersey....).
Pictures are appreciated too!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only thing I ever recall was an underground gold mine west of Jordan Valley, OR a good 8 or 9 years ago now?. The developing mining contractor I was dealing with was out of Baker City, OR. I think the mine ran out of funding, as so many do, but I got a few beans out of it rebuilding that contractors hydraulic rockdills and providing some drilling accessories and don't recall any unpaid invoices out of that deal, so I guess we can say that was a good little prospect for the short time it lasted in what we do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

Zsloff

Aug 15, 2019
Knoxville, TN
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It is hard to keep a mine going for sure. Funding is always an issue, usually the biggest one. We are only marginally in the black and a fight to get it there. Thank you for the reply’s and I will post what got me started in this fun insanity and everything that has occurred to date soon.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is hard to keep a mine going for sure. Funding is always an issue, usually the biggest one. We are only marginally in the black and a fight to get it there. Thank you for the reply’s and I will post what got me started in this fun insanity and everything that has occurred to date soon.
Funding isn't really problem, as long as more of it isn't put in the hole than what comes out of it.

Mountaineer2020

Jul 5, 2020
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab gs3000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Zsloff, just moved to Northeast Oregon and am getting into hard rock mining. So far I've only sampled some tailings piles and explored a few adits. If I do find a mine with some good ore I need to figure out how to separate the gange from the gold and sulfides. From what I've read historically floatation was used on the bigger mines in the area. Pine oils etc. I was thinking about a wave table or shaker as I have no idea how floatation works. Found a decent nugget in the area just panning but I'd like to get underground on a vein. Working in the Susanville and Granite districts.

Moesia

Oct 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Lots of sulfides, pyrites, manganese, chrome galena, and gold.

chrome galena? Is that misspelling? Is it chrome and galena? If so, that would be highly unusual. The rest is common to occur together, but chrome (chromite?)...

Mountaineer2020

Jul 5, 2020
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab gs3000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
chrome galena? Is that misspelling? Is it chrome and galena? If so, that would be highly unusual. The rest is common to occur together, but chrome (chromite?)...

Northeast Oregon is a big area. I'm assuming he's giving a general overview of the geology. There's alot of Chromite in Quartzville district, the Granite and Susanville district have alot of Galena. There's actually a town of Galena in the Susanville district. Most of the chromite area has been claimed up which boggles my mind as the price per ton is so low. I was wondering if it was just held in reserve in case south america decides to quit exporting.

Moesia

Oct 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Republic of South Africa is the biggest producer, South America is a negligible producer of chromium. I think he was referring to the shaft he described in his first post. That kind of combination would only be possible if the sulfides were localized in a chrome bearing rock. Anyway, it would be interesting to hear his remarks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread