Ledge vs Vein?

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Previously I was always under the impression that "ledge" was just a common way for the old-timers to say a mineralized vein. Yesterday I was reading Mining in the Pacific Northwest (Hodges) and he mentioned both ledges and veins as if there was some distinction. I wonder if a ledge us actually a different type of deposit, outcrop, environment or orientation from a ledge?

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure. I've seen in history book the term ledge used, but I think I'll just stick with vein. Here in mining terminology 101 they call a ledge and vein one in the same with the term lode. I guess it's like the hood of your car in the US is a hood, but in Canada it's a bonnet https://www.legendsofamerica.com/we-miningterms/3/#i

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Maybe it has something to do with the angle at which the vein lies....close to horizontal could be termed a ledge?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always thought that "ledge" referred to an exposed load vein on the face of a cliff or wall.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah once long ago the placer miners could follow the source of the gold to the mother load, which probably was an outcrop on the side of a mountain that would be described as a ledge. Today most, if not all of the untappd free gold outcroppings have been found and mined out extensively. Those sure where the days you really wanted to be a prospector.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IIRC Mark Twain discusses ledges, veins and blind leads in reference to his experiences of Virginia City in Roughing It.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The General Mining Act mentions "ledge" 5 times when describing mineral deposits. Clearly the law sees ledges as distinct from lodes or veins.
SEC. 3. That the locators of all mining locations heretofore made, or which shall hereafter be made, on any mineral vein, lode, or ledge , situated on the public domain, their heirs and assigns, where no adverse claim exists at the passage of this act, so long as they comply with the laws of the United States, and with State, territorial, and local regulations not in conflict with said laws of the United States governing their possessory title, shall have the exclusive right of possession and enjoyment of all the surface included within the lines of their locations, and of all veins, lodes, and ledges throughout their entire depth, the top or apex of which lies inside of such surface-lines extended downward vertically, although such veins, lodes, or ledges may so far depart from a perpendicular in their course downward as to extend outside the vertical side-lines of said surface locations: Provided, That their right of possession to such outside parts of said veins or ledges shall be confined to such portions thereof as lie between vertical planes drawn downward as aforesaid, through the endlines of their locations. so continued in their own direction that such planes will intersect such exterior parts of said veins or ledges : And provided further, That nothing in this section shall authorize the locator or possessor of a vein or lode which extends in its downward course beyond the vertical lines of his claim to enter upon the surface of a claim owned or possessed by another.

The legal definition of a ledge is:
A narrow shelf or projection of rock, much longer than wide, formed on a rock wall or cliff face.

M. W. von Bernewitz in his book Handbook for prospectors and operators of small mines probably gives the least confusing definition:
The only true ledges are deposits of oil-shale, slate, or the like. A ledge is a horizontal layer, therefore a vein or lode is not a ledge.
(By the way if you ever see this book get a copy if you can. It was the main guide for small miners during the depression. Good stuff.)

The fact that Congress and miners found the distinction so important should be a big tip off that it's not the same as veins or lodes. Does anybody care to take a shot at why that would be?

Think mineral rights. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Handbook for prospectors and operators of small mines is a neat book, I have a copy bound in aligator skin with a 4 leaf clover pasted in the title page, its safe away in storage, I had two other copies one tragically destroyed the other stolen.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fact that Congress and miners found the distinction so important should be a big tip off that it's not the same as veins or lodes. Does anybody care to take a shot at why that would be?

I guess it'll be better to call an attorney to clarify what exactly defines a ledge.

Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While out Scouting an area all this black-sand caught my eye 2008_1123Mttohuntdeer4th0501.JPG 2008_1123Mttohuntdeer4th0493.JPG I returned a month later during a Major drought
to find this exposed (that was underwater on my 1st trip there) 2008_1123Mttohuntdeer4th0496.JPG And tons of quarts :) And yes 'old yeller' was hiding in the 'veins' ,on a 'ledge' that was 5 ft underwater a month ago:)

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The General Mining Act mentions "ledge"5 times when describing mineral deposits. Clearly the law sees ledges as distinct from lodes or veins.

The legal definition of a ledge is:
A narrow shelf or projection of rock, much longer than wide, formed on a rock wall or cliff face.

M. W. von Bernewitz in his book Handbook for prospectors and operators of small mines probably gives the least confusing definition:

(By the way if you ever see this book get a copy if you can. It was the main guide for small miners during the depression. Good stuff.)

Think mineral rights. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Extra lateral rights? An exposed ledge being the exposure of what could be the foot or hanging wall or mineralized vein of the lode in an adjacent working?? Something something...??

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I guess it'll be better to call an attorney to clarify what exactly defines a ledge.

Probably not a good idea. :laughing7:

California mining lawyers arguing about the definition of "ledge" in relation to the Comstock lode claims sunk the chances of Nevada becoming a state.

Better to go with what miners (who wrote the law) have considered a ledge for hundreds of years. A horizontal mineral exposure. Get lawyers involved and a multi year discussion of whether a bicycle could be considered a ledge could occur. There's all kinds of ways to waste good money and time that would be more fun than that. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Extra lateral rights? An exposed ledge being the exposure of what could be the foot or hanging wall or mineralized vein of the lode in an adjacent working?? Something something...??
Think of the different types of minerals deposited. Silver and galena (lead) are often ledge deposits. Uranium is almost always deposited as a ledge.

It's not always about gold. Although gold has sometimes been discovered as a ledge deposit. Think Australia's rich gold reefs. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

StreamlineGold

Apr 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see that definition getting sticky when it comes to extra lateral rights..who owns the apex.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread