Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We have a need to tunnel hard-rock on BLM land in Nevada. We have the lode claim in place and will be looking at filing for a Tunnel Site with the BLM.

Our big concern is how to work with the State of Nevada to get this project started. Our guess is it won't be that easy lol.

There is a lot to do of course before the first pick hits the rock. Although the internet is full of info I'd like to hear from some of you about the process of getting a mine tunnel approved. I see other tunnels being started elsewhere and others being reopened.

Would like to hear any ideas/suggestions on the process.

Thanks.

Chuck

BlasterJ

Apr 2, 2020
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm working on an article in the ICMJ newsletter on this. It's going to be some time in the next 3 months. What I have seen so far is that the biggest hurdle is going to be getting an approved POO (Plan of Operation). Aside from preparing and submitting documents, you'll have to go through the environmental review process, which can take from weeks to months. Once approved, you're going to need to post a cleanup bond in cash before you can start on the work. From my initial conversations, the biggest things they are concerned about are:

1. The amount of surface disturbance. If you can keep everything on trailers and not do a lot of excavating, grading, etc. then you will have a much easier time. If you disturb a lot of acreage, expect that you will be responsible for stockpiling 6-12" of topsoil, grading it back to profile and spreading the saved dirt over it to repopulate the plants that were torn up. Every cubic yard you disturb is going to cost you more money and increase your up-front cleanup bond amount.

The bond amount is based on what BLM would have to a pay a licensed contractor from Reno or somewhere to do all of the work should you go out of business and not YOUR costs to do it yourself. So 5 days of loader and dump truck work might mean a $25K bond, even though your brother-in-law would do it for $1,500 cash.

2. Water issues. If there is water that will come out of the mine, then you will have a lot of issues around treatment, preventing acid mine drainage, etc. If it's bone dry then it's going to be hard to process ore on-site but much easier to get permitted.

You may want to spend some money on a mine consultant before you go a lot further. They can give you some better estimates on the time and costs involved, and that could cause you to make major changes now before you've sunk a lot of money into what you think needs to be done. Transportation and milling can really eat into profits too. PM if you need a contact. Nevada is considered one of the most mining-friendly jurisdictions in the US, so that's a plus.

I'm sure other folks like MAD Machinist have more details than I do on this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rail Dawg

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm working on an article in the ICMJ newsletter on this. It's going to be some time in the next 3 months. What I have seen so far is that the biggest hurdle is going to be getting an approved POO (Plan of Operation). Aside from preparing and submitting documents, you'll have to go through the environmental review process, which can take from weeks to months. Once approved, you're going to need to post a cleanup bond in cash before you can start on the work. From my initial conversations, the biggest things they are concerned about are:

1. The amount of surface disturbance. If you can keep everything on trailers and not do a lot of excavating, grading, etc. then you will have a much easier time. If you disturb a lot of acreage, expect that you will be responsible for stockpiling 6-12" of topsoil, grading it back to profile and spreading the saved dirt over it to repopulate the plants that were torn up. Every cubic yard you disturb is going to cost you more money and increase your up-front cleanup bond amount.

The bond amount is based on what BLM would have to a pay a licensed contractor from Reno or somewhere to do all of the work should you go out of business and not YOUR costs to do it yourself. So 5 days of loader and dump truck work might mean a $25K bond, even though your brother-in-law would do it for $1,500 cash.

2. Water issues. If there is water that will come out of the mine, then you will have a lot of issues around treatment, preventing acid mine drainage, etc. If it's bone dry then it's going to be hard to process ore on-site but much easier to get permitted.

You may want to spend some money on a mine consultant before you go a lot further. They can give you some better estimates on the time and costs involved, and that could cause you to make major changes now before you've sunk a lot of money into what you think needs to be done. Transportation and milling can really eat into profits too. PM if you need a contact. Nevada is considered one of the most mining-friendly jurisdictions in the US, so that's a plus.

I'm sure other folks like MAD Machinist have more details than I do on this.

Been reading a lot of your posts Blaster. Your information is awesome!

Is a POO always needed for a tunnel? If we disturb less than 5 acres can we go with an NOI? Good idea on a mine consultant... smart money up front. There is good information here too.

We're pretty serious about things. Lots to learn about tunnels but it looks like a blast... pun intended!

Chuck

BlasterJ

Apr 2, 2020
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Been reading a lot of your posts Blaster. Your information is awesome!

Is a POO always needed for a tunnel? If we disturb less than 5 acres can we go with an NOI? Good idea on a mine consultant... smart money up front. There is good information here too.

We're pretty serious about things. Lots to learn about tunnels but it looks like a blast... pun intended!

Chuck

I don't actually know where they draw the line, but I'll ask when I'm talking to my contact in a week or so.

OP
OP
Rail Dawg

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't actually know where they draw the line, but I'll ask when I'm talking to my contact in a week or so.

Please do that Blaster. I've been searching for good answers and this forum has fellow miners who have a wealth of knowledge including yourself.

Not a boast but we are well-versed in most things claims (still learning from Clay though lol). Our question is specifically about starting a tunnel operation. We know this is not going to be easy but it sure will be fun to try.

Thanks!

Chuck

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm confused about your use of the term "tunnel" Dawg. Tunnels are usually dug for haulage or drainage - not for mineral exploration. Tunnel site claims are not mineral claims and don't come with any mineral rights.

Do you have an active hard rock mine? Have you sunk a shaft and need drainage or a way to more efficiently haul gangue from your existing operation? If not I doubt you have any need of a tunnel. Perhaps you mean shaft or adit?

The BLM is concerned with disturbance of surface resources. A Notice is just that - an informational filing that you will be disturbing some surface resources. For exploration work the normal process is to file a notice and wait the 15 days for a response. If there is no response to the Notice or the BLM determines your use is de minimis you are good to go. If the BLM determines your notice requires restoration you pay the bond and start work. If the BLM determines that your intended activity will create a significant disturbance of surface resources they will notify you to develop and submit a plan of operation (POO).

In all this the BLM does not control or permit mining. They have the single duty to ensure the significant disturbance of surface resources is mitigated to align with best mining practices. If you can do that at every step of your development and mining process it's really just a matter of posting bonds and doing the reclamation work as agreed.

Although the BLM does not control mining there are several agencies besides the BLM that control mining safety. There will be state approvals, fees, permits and inspections whenever you put miners underground. The BLM will not approve a POO until you have satisfied all the state requirements.

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Rail Dawg

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dang Clay leave it to you to nail the issues right to the wall. Your help over the years has made a world of difference for us.

You are right it will initially be an adit. Maybe a tunnel later for drainage lol.

Your explanation of what the BLM does and does not enforce was very helpful. Dealing with the Nevada mining folks will be a lot of effort. Luckily Nevada seems to be a very mine-friendly State although we'll find out how it is at the next level of mining.

Have you ever considered writing a book on what you know? I have several pages of notes on things you have taught us.

Spent some time in the mylandmatters.com library. That place is an incredible source of information. Thanks for what you do there.

OK time to put what you wrote above into my notes.

Chuck

AnnaMountain

Dec 10, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Main agency to expect to have fun with is MSHA. They will get you a federal mine number going...and then want you to comply with a book of rules :). At least 6 employees, your own fire truck and equipment, dedicated storage for gasoline, all safety equipment, and will put you through education classes and inspections like it was goin’ out of style!

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
AWWWWW Why did you have to go and say that???? You just took the "fun" out of it and put in that 4 letter word that start's with a "W" Reality is a real bummer sometimes :BangHead::dontknow:

BlasterJ

Apr 2, 2020
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You will want to look into the "Small and Remote Mines" exemption if it's a small operation. Also, you can get around some things (usually at the state level) if only the owners of the mine are performing work and not employees.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rail Dawg

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You will want to look into the "Small and Remote Mines" exemption if it's a small operation. Also, you can get around some things (usually at the state level( if only the owners of the mine are performing work and not employees.

Wow thanks Blaster didn't even know that existed. We are small and remote lol.

Chuck

BlasterJ

Apr 2, 2020
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That one can get you out of the need to maintain your own mine rescue team on-site. You would still need to get a letter form someone with a team that says they would respond.

OP
OP
Rail Dawg

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That one can get you out of the need to maintain your own mine rescue team on-site. You would still need to get a letter form someone with a team that says they would respond.

Keep going with what you're doing Blaster. Everything you write is getting put into the mix of what needs to be done.

Chuck

HardRockNM

Nov 8, 2020
New Mexico/Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Look to Barrick Goldstrike for this. They have an MOU with the Sixteen-to-One Mine in Alleghany, CA to provide mine rescue services under 49.3 (Small and Remote Mines) of 30CFR.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread