Classifier systems

Load77

Apr 10, 2021
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What different types of classifier systems do you guys use to remove oversized material, before it gets to your gravity recovery system of choice?
From my reading, and personal experience, recovery is best when the material is classified prior to hitting the table.
I know some systems catch the tailings in a dewatering screw, and send the oversized material back through to be re-ground.
I’ve got some ideas on building one. But I’m trying to get away from building my own equipment. I spend to much time working the bugs out, and not enough time mining and processing ore. Preferably I’d like the buy something.

Thanks!

HardRockNM

Nov 8, 2020
New Mexico/Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Depends on liberation size and production rate. A small screen is the correct piece of equipment for most sizing applications; we've got a tiny one laying around the yard that I've got my eye on for an "angry pilot plant" capable of 1-2tpd of high-grade refractory ore. Screws also get used for classification but usually only in grinding. I'm assuming you're not grinding your ore to 50-100 mesh.

OP
OP
L

Load77

Apr 10, 2021
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m classifying to 50 mesh. I’m getting good recovery at that grind so no need to go finer. But I still get a little bit of oversized material coming out of my ball mill. My wave table has a hopper that holds a regular bucket classifier, but you have to keep an eye on it and scoop it out occasionally. It works for now, but I’m in the planning stages of upgrading my entire setup to a 1 ton/hr mill.
So far I’m seriously looking at a Mt Baker Mining shaker table, and a 3x6 ball mill. I already have a good jaw crusher.
For a less expensive setup, I was also thinking about the Keene RC46 with the double rollers. Not a 1 ton/hr setup, but for the cost it does pretty well, providing it actually has the output they say. The problem with the Keene crusher is the dust, since this setup will be in my shop. I would need a very strong exhaust fan.
I’d like to be able to buy something that is professionally made. Everything I make ends up taking up to much of my time working the bugs out. But if I can’t find something, I’ve thought of making a screen, with a spray bar, slight slope upwards, and a small electric motor to shake it. It would work like my wave table, and move the oversized material up the slope, then drop into a bucket. Shouldn’t be to much oversized if I have the mill set up right.
I’m definitely open to any criticism, or other ideas on this setup.

Thanks for the reply!

utahvikingr

Nov 3, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m classifying to 50 mesh. I’m getting good recovery at that grind so no need to go finer. But I still get a little bit of oversized material coming out of my ball mill. My wave table has a hopper that holds a regular bucket classifier, but you have to keep an eye on it and scoop it out occasionally. It works for now, but I’m in the planning stages of upgrading my entire setup to a 1 ton/hr mill.
So far I’m seriously looking at a Mt Baker Mining shaker table, and a 3x6 ball mill. I already have a good jaw crusher.
For a less expensive setup, I was also thinking about the Keene RC46 with the double rollers. Not a 1 ton/hr setup, but for the cost it does pretty well, providing it actually has the output they say. The problem with the Keene crusher is the dust, since this setup will be in my shop. I would need a very strong exhaust fan.
I’d like to be able to buy something that is professionally made. Everything I make ends up taking up to much of my time working the bugs out. But if I can’t find something, I’ve thought of making a screen, with a spray bar, slight slope upwards, and a small electric motor to shake it. It would work like my wave table, and move the oversized material up the slope, then drop into a bucket. Shouldn’t be to much oversized if I have the mill set up right.
I’m definitely open to any criticism, or other ideas on this setup.

Thanks for the reply!

Look for an old vibratory rotary screener; they will throw large material into one chute, medium into another, fine into another and ultra fine out another, which you can set up a small conveyor to move the larger material back up to your mill, and the finer stuff you can convey right to your shaker table (or just have it drop right into your hopper if you set this thing up high enough)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread