Whites TDI vs. Garretts Infinium PI Detectors

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman,

Your statement is just not true. I can use a TDI and pick out only coins and not get one pulltab or bottlecap. One can acjust the Ground balace to tune out that junk. Perhaps your statement is based on what you think theoretically and have never used a TDI detector.

FOR SALE: Slightly used bridge from Manhattan to Brooklyn.. :laughing7:

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Its true Terry, The TDI has a switch to select high, low, or all conductor. TDI can detect all high conductor coins without detecting bottlecaps, pull tabs, or nickles. However iron comes in as high and low conductor.
Vertical nails, pipes, rerod, etc will give a high conductor signal just like a coin. So to say one can disc out "all" iron is a fallacy.

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You just proved your ignorance about the TDI. What AA says is completely true. Also, ISM's statement is true. Most iron can be eliminated but not all. You used one for 200 hours and are unaware of this? I smell a rat!! I have used the TDI, for coinshooting, in a schoolyard so mineralized that my Garrett Propointer sounds off in the soil without a target. VLFs are crippled in this soil, with the use of discrimination. I hunted an area riddled with pulltabs; by setting the TDI GB to ~4 and Conductors to High, I dug only coins. No low conductors were detected. It was very pleasant to ignore this junk! Truly you don't know what you are talking about, when it comes to the TDI, Terry!! Or perhaps, you intend to be deceitful? I don't know which, but you are dead wrong on this topic!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
I've owned two PI's, a Sea Hunter and a Whites Surf PI (a nice little unit). I prefer the Sea Hunter, it may be a beast, but it goes very deep.

I've had a real good (look) at Whites TDI right down the road at Whites main factory, but I didn't care for it that much, it's re-tune speed is just too slow for me.. I would rather use a Teknetics Alfa in and around all the inland park trash than any PI ever made. PI's just plain don't cherry-pick as well or as fast, at least not in my hands. For open or plowed fields I use the PI. Out in the surf or wet sand where there is little trash the PI's work great, but not in dry salt beach sand where the amount of trash is overwhelming - That's when I have to go back to a multi-freq for best results, preferably a CZ which seems to work the best out of all the dual or multi-frequencies. There are times when I wonder why I would even bother bringing a PI down to the garbage-filled ocean beaches, not if I only hunt dry sand.

Last edited:

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've owned two PI's, a Sea Hunter and a Whites Surf PI (a nice little unit). I prefer the Sea Hunter, it may be a beast, but it goes very deep.

I've had a real good (look) at Whites TDI right down the road at Whites main factory, but I didn't care for it that much, it's re-tune speed is just too slow for me.. I would rather use a Teknetics Alfa in and around all the inland park trash than any PI ever made. PI's just plain don't cherry-pick as well or as fast, at least not in my hands. For open or plowed fields I use the PI. Out in the surf or wet sand where there is little trash the PI's work great, but not in dry salt beach sand where the amount of trash is overwhelming - That's when I have to go back to a multi-freq for best results, preferably a CZ which seems to work the best out of all the dual or multi-frequencies. There are times when I wonder why I would even bother bringing a PI down to the garbage-filled ocean beaches, not if I only hunt dry sand.

Larry,

I wonder how the CZ/Teknetics Alfa would fare at the very mineralized football field I hunt. I have used an Excal 800, Sov GT, XLT, IDX Pro and now the TDI SL on that field. After hunting the field with all of the VLFs at least 10 times, I am still picking silver jewelry and shallow coins with the TDI. The TDI is the only stable machine in that field to date! I have been wanting to get my hands on a CZ to try one. Want to come see in my neck of the woods? Let me know! Thoughts?

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey db,

The Alfa is great for tight, high-trash areas, but in an open field it's time to get out the PI's. The CZ's work better on the salt beach than singles, it's the norm, but inland I would prefer something like an Omega or F-5 or maybe a 705 because the newer CZ's are notoriously poor for target separation and minute gold jewelry. I run my CZ wide-open in the salt, it gets its best depth that way, on normal mode (or) salt mode.

Yes, the TDI is excellent for football fields, but I swing my detectors fast and hard, about 3-5 fps. I figure that if a tool can't take my pushing it.. I'm not going to baby the thing..

Are you N or S Oregon?

Last edited:

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
TC,
I have an Infinium and never used a TDI. If price is an object, you may be able to find a used Infinium at a much lower price than
a new TDI. And I do love my Infinium, easy to tune, goes deep and great on nuggets.
Rich

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey db,

The Alfa is great for tight, high-trash areas, but in an open field it's time to get out the PI's. The CZ's work better on the salt beach than singles, it's the norm, but inland I would prefer something like an Omega or F-5 or maybe a 705 because the newer CZ's are notoriously poor for target separation and minute gold jewelry. I run my CZ wide-open in the salt, it gets its best depth that way, on normal mode (or) salt mode.

Yes, the TDI is excellent for football fields, but I swing my detectors fast and hard, about 3-5 fps. I figure that if a tool can't take my pushing it.. I'm not going to baby the thing..

Are you N or S Oregon?

I don't mind a slower swing so much; I guess it's because I used the Sov and Excal a lot. I am impressed with the TDI's ability to handle the minerals and seemingly allow me to cherry pick coins (except nickels) and other high conductors. I am in N. Oregon, a few miles SE of PDX in the foothills of the Cascades.

Last edited:

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, the IDX or similar is needed now since so much of the top layer is gone. I remember finding scores of silver coins in Molalla, but now the stuff is down below it all. If you can get into Estacada, there may still be the old school grounds up on the hill across form the little old cafe there. The high-fenced school grounds used to have a lot of old coins in it, both copper and silver. I often hunted at night there and brought my dog to cover me. I only had one incident, and the dog took care of it (them) for me while I went back to searching.. :icon_thumright:

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, the IDX or similar is needed now since so much of the top layer is gone. I remember finding scores of silver coins in Molalla, but now the stuff is down below it all. If you can get into Estacada, there may still be the old school grounds up on the hill across form the little old cafe there. The high-fenced school grounds used to have a lot of old coins in it, both copper and silver. I often hunted at night there and brought my dog to cover me. I only had one incident, and the dog took care of it (them) for me while I went back to searching.. :icon_thumright:

Estacada is a scary town. I've been there but was nervous to leave my car unattended. I have had my car window smashed in that town; depressed economy since the lumber industry crashed; many meth-heads. There are some nice small towns to md around here. Oregon City isn't bad either, but the soil in most OC parks is punishing! Thanks.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Agreed db, lots of crack heads there.. As a street-wise trained martial artist (sogo kempo, judo, jujitsu) I always had other backups though, my dog plus my "business partner". I think that old school in Estacada is the new middle school now, and there are still old coins there. The banks of some of the fishing holes a few miles east of town have old coins in them, maybe jewelry too. The scariest place I've ever detected is N Portland. My 6'6" athletic/muscular best friend was attacked there with people trying to stone him, just because he was there. I never did feel safe in N Portland.. OC may still have a few silver coins left on the southwest side of the Molalla Road beside and behind the old Eastham school going up toward the shopping mall at the top of the hill. That school had lots of silver in the very front and I got some of it. I never did search that playfield area, it probably still has old stuff in it, but DEEP.

OP
OP
TC-NM

TC-NM

Jun 8, 2008
Sunny AZ
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro & Spectra V3i / White's E Series 9000 & Sunray Pro Golds HP's / Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT/ White's digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To All,

Thanks for all the responses, comments and criticisms. There's alot to learn about these two machines in order for me to make a decision.

TC-NM

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
TC,
I also have been Treasure Hunting since 1974 and I think both companies make great detectors
and either detector is a good choice.
Rich

McArthurJohn

Jan 12, 2015
McArthur CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX-5000,Minelab GPX-4500, Garrett Infinium, Whites TDI Pro, Whites GMT, Fisher Gold Bug, Whites V3I,Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a street-wise trained martial artist (sogo kempo, judo, jujitsu) I always had other backups though, my dog plus my "business partner"

i am very well versed and trained in ball-bat kung fu, and my partners watch my back also, mr. colt, the firm of sturm,ruger and co, their friends smith and wesson and a couple others...LOL

McArthurJohn

Jan 12, 2015
McArthur CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX-5000,Minelab GPX-4500, Garrett Infinium, Whites TDI Pro, Whites GMT, Fisher Gold Bug, Whites V3I,Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i also have both, and as steve said earlier in the thread, infinium for water, TDI Pro for land, but most of the time its GPX for me...LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread