Whites TDI vs. Garretts Infinium PI Detectors

TC-NM

Jun 8, 2008
Sunny AZ
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro & Spectra V3i / White's E Series 9000 & Sunray Pro Golds HP's / Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT/ White's digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White's TDI vs. Garrett's Infinium PI Detectors

Would like to get a comparison between White's TDI vs. Garrett's Infinium PI Detectors? Maybe a summary of the pros and cons. I've been comtemplating in purchasing a PI detector for the soils here in NM; there moderately mineralized but not high though. Around the lakes here, they're fresh water no salt. Is there an advantage or disadvantage for coinshooting, relics, or cache?

Thanks,

TC-NM

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: White's TDI vs. Garrett's Infinium PI Detectors

Hi,

Both are good units. If you water hunt, obvious advantage to the Infinium since it is submersible.

The TDI has more adjustments. I also find it to not be as noisy since every Infinium target generates a dual tone response, and the TDI only one of two tones. So if you hit ten targets the Infinium generates 20 signals, the TDI 10. And with the TDI you can suppress one tone or the other to further narrow responses.

The TDI can use aftermarket Minelab SD/GP compatible coils so has nearly 100 coils to choose from.

The Infinium costs less.

Steve Herschbach

OP
OP
TC-NM

TC-NM

Jun 8, 2008
Sunny AZ
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro & Spectra V3i / White's E Series 9000 & Sunray Pro Golds HP's / Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT/ White's digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi Steve,

Thanks for brief side by side comparison, but what about coinshooting, relics or cache? Any experiences there in Alaska that you can discuss?

Thanks again,

TC-NM

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hi,

I've found gold nuggets with both in Alaska. Fairly comparable performance in that regard but I lean TDI for the extra adjustability and coil selection.

The TDI is hands down better for coin detecting. See http://forum.treasurenet.com/whites/index.php?topic=17969.0 I've found coins with the Infinium also but you have to listen to a lot of signals. Pretty wearing.

Relic and cache I'm guessing they are fairly comparable. But again I'd lean TDI due to coil selection. You can get larger coils for the TDI that simply are not available for the Infinium.

For me it is Infinium for water and TDI for everything else. But I'm working on an underwater case for my TDI so then we will see.

Steve Herschbach

scrooge

May 3, 2008
Treasure Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Dual Field,Whites PI Pro,Whites SurfMaster II- Tesoro Silver Saber uMAX-Garrett Infinium LS

Bought Garrett's Infinium it has a steeeeeeeeeep learning curve . I would not buy another one...........................

OP
OP
TC-NM

TC-NM

Jun 8, 2008
Sunny AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:wink:Thanks Steve and Scrooge for all your insight and experiences with PI's. I'm going to have to test them at my local MD dealers to get the feel for them. :icon_salut: :icon_salut:

TC-NM

Bearkat

Aug 12, 2007
Medford, Oregon
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Infinium LS/ Ace 250/ Scorpion Gold Stinger/AT Gold/AT Pro

Used both..Infinium is easier to use. Auto everything...just turn it on and go. Mine is so stable is crazy. Ground balances in seconds...turn to lock and go at it. Same depth for both with stock coils. TDI has ALOT more coils selections, which is kool. I still prefer the Infinium.

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hi,

The Infinium is for sure easy when it comes to settings. There is not much to adjust.

I have both the Infinium and TDI now. Basically for me it is TDI above water and Infinium in water. I hope to be heading to Hawaii soon with the Infinium for another go.

Steve Herschbach

K

Kentucky Kache

Why are PI's used mainly on beaches? Why are they not used more for land hunting?

Bearkat

Aug 12, 2007
Medford, Oregon
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Infinium LS/ Ace 250/ Scorpion Gold Stinger/AT Gold/AT Pro

Steve,
Looking forward to hearing about your Hawaii trip and your finds with the Infinium and whatever else you'll be using over there. Good luck!

Alan

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Kentucky Kache said:
Why are PI's used mainly on beaches? Why are they not used more for land hunting?

PI s are pricey, thats one reason

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kentucky Kache said:

The reason the PI's aren't used more for inland or dry land it because of the amount of extra trash these detectors see and at good depths. After digging tons of trash from hard ground inland, guys wish for more discrimination to pass up the iron. A practiced ear can help a lot but few can put that much time in the operation of a PI except maybe CJC.

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21

Sandman said:
Kentucky Kache said:

The reason the PI's aren't used more for inland or dry land it because of the amount of extra trash these detectors see and at good depths. After digging tons of trash from hard ground inland, guys wish for more discrimination to pass up the iron. A practiced ear can help a lot but few can put that much time in the operation of a PI except maybe CJC.

Sandman,

What you say here is not entirely correct and this has been explained to you by Steve, Reg, and others. The TDI is one of the premier detectors used for relic hunting and coin hunting for depth in bad ground conditions and for being able to discriminate to some extent. Iron and pulltabs can be completely discriminated. However, the pulltab discrimination comes at the cost of discriminating nickles. If one chooses to discriminate against iron targets completely, one can still find nickles, gold nuggets, and pulltabs ( they are all in the same VDI range). I know that you never found a gold nugget but to do so, the VDI numbers fall in the pulltab range from 05 to 30 VDI. It is then that you want to find pulltabs and gold nuggets but you can still discriminate out iron.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Arizonaames, True I haven't found a nugget as I have not traveled where they are more prevalent in later years, but many hunters are not as skilled as you think you are. Pulse units have their place for dry ground and the water if you are willing to put in the time to learn the detector. Many are not willing to do that on a weekend. I've used the Infinium but just have not bought one yet though the tests I have done tell me I better get one. I have not used the White's TDI so have no experience on which is the better for which jobs. Being a diver too, I can cancel out using the White's in wet sand or water due to damage from salt spray or water.

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used

Sandman said:
Arizonaames, True I haven't found a nugget as I have not traveled where they are more prevalent in later years, but many hunters are not as skilled as you think you are. Pulse units have their place for dry ground and the water if you are willing to put in the time to learn the detector. Many are not willing to do that on a weekend. I've used the Infinium but just have not bought one yet though the tests I have done tell me I better get one. I have not used the White's TDI so have no experience on which is the better for which jobs. Being a diver too, I can cancel out using the White's in wet sand or water due to damage from salt spray or water.

Certainly not as skilled as you think you are, Sandman, in all aspects of detecting, it seems. The TDI is a tool like any other detector and it has it's purposes. So too do other White detectors that you seem to dislike even though they were good to you in guaranteeing your recent purchase. VLF detectors and PI detectors have their respective places in the detecting community and so too do all detectors. I think that the key to any detecting is to learn all aspects of the detector that you have in order to maximize your finds. All detectors are different and so too are different tools for different jobs. Above all, you should enjoy getting out there detecting no matter what detector you have. You might even decide to buy a TDI or an Infinium so that you too can learn more about what you say about them. Happy hunting.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Metal detecting for me is a business that I have done since BFO detectors came out. Having done many different kinds of detecting and promoting the various brands for the manufacturers I feel I have a good knowledge of what works for me. White's is a great company with many fine products and a couple in the works in R&D. As you so well said, detectors are tools and there is no just one that suits all occasions or locations. I have nothing against the TDI nor other White's products. Granted I don't like water detectors that have floating coils, but these are easier to use above water. I usually tell people that detectors are like golf clubs, you need different ones for different shots to do it best.

"Certainly not as skilled as you think you are, Sandman, in all aspects of detecting, it seems."
I don't know why you seem so bent on attacking me or my skills on this thread and others. Having been at this profession for many years I have done it all I think from underwater salvage to coin shooting tot lots with many detectors so I have a working knowledge of they're use. Unlike you I have not haunted the gold fields an I only detected in NM for meteorites twice. Enjoyed that a lot an that was the second time I ate rattlesnake with my brother too. So I guess this will bother you also.

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Loved my TDI pro, Sold it.. got an Infinium, Hated it.. sold it... wish to hell i had kept the TDI Pro.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arizonaames, I owe you an apology. :occasion14:

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Sandman,

Your statement is just not true. I can use a TDI and pick out only coins and not get one pulltab or bottlecap. One can acjust the Ground balace to tune out that junk. Perhaps your statement is based on what you think theoretically and have never used a TDI detector.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only used a TDI for a couple weeks and granted I don't know them as well as you do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread