Whites Spectra V3 Vision VS. Minelab E-trac

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
I have gone back over the head to head comparisons, and haven't found any kind of real comparison between the two, just a couple of opinions. I purchased a Minelab X-terra 70 last year and have put over 200 hours on the machine. Its a fine machine for a starter detector, but it lacks several things that the high end detectors come with. I am looking to step up my game some, but I don't want to sink 1500+ into a detector and accessories to find out that I should have gone with the other one. Users of the E-tracs, and Visions please chime in and give me your thoughts. I have read tons of posts, and it seems that the E-trac is the king of deep silvers. The vision seems to do pretty well with jewelry. How is the depth on the vision in comparison to the e-trac. They both seem to have a plethora of accessories (probes, coils, etc) compared to the X-terra 70. Any input would be very helpful. Thanks guys!

KEverett

dazoff

Aug 7, 2007
Lower Mainland Vancouver,BC
Detector(s) used
To many to say
I just returned from hunting in the UK with the F75LTD most of the guy's were using the E-Trac and sucking the ground dry.

There were a couple of V3 users same results the E-Tracs were king.
I just bought the E-Trac after seeing that, now I may keep the F75LTD as the soil is not bad here and so far I have not seen anything that would lead me to believe the Vision does magic on jewellery. My Troy X5 has done better than any Vision from the posts I've read.

Some of the guy's hunting with the E-Tracs did not have a lot of experience but were still doing well.

Ground readings on the F75LTD were a low of 44 and only a high of 65 but mostly in the 50s, again the E-Tracs had no problem with the ground changing.

Just my thoughts . Dan :thumbsup:

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've owned both and did a head to head and here is my opinion short and sweet.

Out of the box the E-Trac has the better depth and a quicker learning curve.
The V3 has the potential to be the deeper detector once you learn it.

therover

Feb 23, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
CZ6a (2),Infinium, E-Trac,CZ20, X5, CZ20,X-Terra 705, Treasure Baron Goldtrax, XL-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My brother just bought a V3 and he is now learning the machine and is making better finds each and every hunt.

Gotta learn whatever machine you use. That's the trump card.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They can't be the magic wand or you would never see them forsale in the classifieds LOL.

I agree learn your detector like the poster said above.

OP
OP
keverett

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
I understand that there will be a significant learning curve compared to the X-terra. I see both of them going up for sale on the classified section (V3's more so than the Etracs). I want to know what are the main differences between the machines (yes I have compared them side by side at Kellyco) from users who have tried them. Thanks for the input guys, but I knew going in that these machines would take some time to learn.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course being good/at one with your detector will net you the best performance any given detector is capable of, and experience is also important, but, Being good, experienced and having the best wand is the real trump card.

Of course having the right wand for the right job is important.

odave

Nov 20, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3 DFX
therover said:
My brother just bought a V3 and he is now learning the machine and is making better finds each and every hunt.

Gotta learn whatever machine you use. That's the trump card.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: The best Detector is the one between Your Ears.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best Detector is the one between Your Ears.

Sorry but I just can't agree with that. Learning to use any detector will help maximize that detectors potential, but just learning any detector will not make it comparable with all detectors. Take an experienced ACE 250 user and an experienced E-Trac user and you'll find the E-Trac will walk all over the ACE, and it darn well should for $200 compared to $1500.

The E-Trac makes finding those very deep coins much easier for someone new to the detector. The V3 takes more learning but has the potential to out perform the E-Trac. I've started to notice my V3i is getting every bit as deep as my E-Trac and maybe even a bit more even with factory settings. The difference is the E-Trac hits more solid(easier to distinguish) on deep coins, but the V3i hits on even deeper targets they are just not as easy to distinguish. I'm starting to find what I thought was all falsing on the V3i is actually some extremely deep coins. Several now that the E-Trac didn't see.

I think the key advantage of the E-Trac is the ability to tell even a new E-Trac user there is a deep coin under the coil. Generally this comes only with experience. We say it is experience that really counts, and that is true to a point, because experience teaches you how to maximize your detectors ability. Of course that is limited by each detectors ability. The E-Trac makes getting past that experience barrier quick. Distinguishing a deep coin, especially silver, is very very easy with the E-Trac, and that is what makes it such a killer.

The V3i is not so easy to comprehend as the signals tend to be less obvious to the first time user. It can even be frustrating because of all the noise from so many targets. Patients will find the V3i is one amazing detector capable of amazing depth.

I used to own a X-Terra 70 and I can say it is nowhere near the same class detector as either the E-Trac or V3i.

wvrick

Sep 27, 2010
Salt Rock,WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab CTX 3030, E-Trac, Whites V3i, DFX, Fisher CoinStrike, Garrett AT-Pro, Explorer XS, Garrett GTI-2500 Pro, Fisher F2, and Whites Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3 (Hip mount), Fisher CZ7a-Pro
Thanks Digger nice post, I too am in the same boat and looking to buy a new detector in a couple months. I went thru the detector buy/sale thing in 2000, with 4 different brands. GTa 2500, DFX, Explorer XS and stuck with a CZ7a Pro. I really liked the Explorer but I didn't understand it unlike what I've seen playing with the E Trac emulator. I'm also down to picking a E Trac or a V3i and having a hard time. I guess its like Chevy's or Fords... But good posts from people who have already learned and use both machines really helps everyone going down the same path. I'll keep reading and doing the apple in one hand and orange in the other..lol

Thank!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
GreenMeanie said:
They can't be the magic wand or you would never see them forsale in the classifieds LOL.

I agree learn your detector like the poster said above.
Yep you do...A lot of them........

Attachments

• road20construction20sigqf1.jpg
    road20construction20sigqf1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 3,471
  • road20construction20sigqf1.jpg
    road20construction20sigqf1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 3,376

davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digger said:
I've owned both and did a head to head and here is my opinion short and sweet.

Out of the box the E-Trac has the better depth and a quicker learning curve.
The V3 has the potential to be the deeper detector once you learn it.

This may be an unfair question but what is the depth difference on the "out of the box" for both? I currently have the V3 and really like it but the depth hasn't been great for me. Granted I've only been using the stock coin/jewelry option. For me to "learn it", I'd really like to study at the feet of a master user 8)

davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KEverett said:
I have gone back over the head to head comparisons, and haven't found any kind of real comparison between the two, just a couple of opinions. I purchased a Minelab X-terra 70 last year and have put over 200 hours on the machine. Its a fine machine for a starter detector, but it lacks several things that the high end detectors come with. I am looking to step up my game some, but I don't want to sink 1500+ into a detector and accessories to find out that I should have gone with the other one. Users of the E-tracs, and Visions please chime in and give me your thoughts. I have read tons of posts, and it seems that the E-trac is the king of deep silvers. The vision seems to do pretty well with jewelry. How is the depth on the vision in comparison to the e-trac. They both seem to have a plethora of accessories (probes, coils, etc) compared to the X-terra 70. Any input would be very helpful. Thanks guys!

KEverett

What did you end up going with?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I think now the question now should be............Re.Whites Spectra V3 Vision VS. Minelab E-trac and the Garrett AT Pro..................The AT Pro at 1/2 the price gets the same depth plus is water proof.........

Attachments

• !!d59UFwBmM~$(KGrHqQH-CIEsJ)wlqBrBLF+5ET(f!~~_26.jpg
    !!d59UFwBmM~$(KGrHqQH-CIEsJ)wlqBrBLF+5ET(f!~~_26.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 5,016
  • !!d59UFwBmM~$(KGrHqQH-CIEsJ)wlqBrBLF+5ET(f!~~_26.jpg
    !!d59UFwBmM~$(KGrHqQH-CIEsJ)wlqBrBLF+5ET(f!~~_26.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 5,014

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may be an unfair question but what is the depth difference on the "out of the box" for both?

Out of the box the E-Trac is deeper. Now let me clarify what I mean by deeper.

Let's face it first time users of pretty much every detector WILL BE disappointed at first on depth performance. If you've tested a lot of detector you realize it's not that big of deal because what matter is learning to identify a deep target on a given detector. This is why a lot of people claim they can get deeper on their old detector than the news one. Because they can right out of the box because they have spent 4-5 years with their old one and have learned to identify deep targets. For someone new to that same old detector, they would not get near the depth and would be very disappointed.

The E-Trac does the best job I have ever seen for a new detector at telling the users when a deep coin is present, and that has been it's success. It is without a doubt one of the deepest detectors out, but there are many others, it just makes it easier for a new user to hear a deep coin. The V3i can see the same deep coin but takes a little time before you learn to know it is telling you there is a deep coin. Just not quite as clean on deep signals.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Digger said:
This may be an unfair question but what is the depth difference on the "out of the box" for both?

Out of the box the E-Trac is deeper. Now let me clarify what I mean by deeper.

Let's face it first time users of pretty much every detector WILL BE disappointed at first on depth performance. If you've tested a lot of detector you realize it's not that big of deal because what matter is learning to identify a deep target on a given detector. This is why a lot of people claim they can get deeper on their old detector than the news one. Because they can right out of the box because they have spent 4-5 years with their old one and have learned to identify deep targets. For someone new to that same old detector, they would not get near the depth and would be very disappointed.

The E-Trac does the best job I have ever seen for a new detector at telling the users when a deep coin is present, and that has been it's success. It is without a doubt one of the deepest detectors out, but there are many others, it just makes it easier for a new user to hear a deep coin. The V3i can see the same deep coin but takes a little time before you learn to know it is telling you there is a deep coin. Just not quite as clean on deep signals.
My God man you forgot the AT Pro..ones that own the E=trac and also bought the AT Pro...............Are saying the AT Pro gets the same depth as there E-trac and at $900.00 less for the AT.......... Now all these E-trac users are they not telling the truth??

Attachments

• thumbnailCADKG5MN.jpg
    thumbnailCADKG5MN.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 5,172
  • thumbnailCADKG5MN.jpg
    thumbnailCADKG5MN.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 5,019

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So Keppy, you have had an ETrac and put many hours on one to know this as fact? Or are you just going by videos and fourm hearsay? The AT while a decent machine is not even in the same league as the ET. How do i know this? I own both. Ive tested both side by side. It's not even close in real world hunting/targets. Lets not even talk about build quality of the AT. Its a toy in comparison.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
EZrider said:
So Keppy, you have had an ETrac and put many hours on one to know this as fact? Or are you just going by videos and fourm hearsay? The AT while a decent machine is not even in the same league as the ET. How do i know this? I own both. Ive tested both side by side. It's not even close in real world hunting/targets. Lets not even talk about build quality of the AT. Its a toy in comparison.
What you think is a toy is Tesoro and they will whip your butt any time..........Your one of the ego people the more it cost the better it is..... dream on .. dream on.....

Attachments

• rofl.gif
    rofl.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 4,967
  • thumbnailCA0C54BH.jpg
    thumbnailCA0C54BH.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 4,928
  • rofl.gif
    rofl.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 4,964

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread