Replacing Discovery 1000/Tracker IV with Tesoro Compadre - thoughts?

tdballard

Jan 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's been about 10 years since I've done any detecting and I'm about to start again. I've still got my old Radio Shack Discover 1000 (Tracker IV clone with a cheap coil), but I've decided to get a new Tesoro Compadre, which is on the way from Kellyco. Can I expect a big difference with the Compadre? I like to search school parks, mostly built in the 50's to 70's. I normally just find a lot of clad coins at the surface or maybe 2 or 3 inches deep. The only good finds I have ever come across was a mercury dime found at an older school at about 4 inches and a couple of small pieces of jewelry such as a silver St. Christophers medal. The ground around here is mainly hard dry clay/dirt. Do you think the Compadre will have noticeably better performance?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, welcome to Tnet and back into the hobby. The Tesoro Compadre will be like a whole new ball game with more depth and better more accurate disc. If you had moved into the Silver Umax or Cibola now you'd wonder why you didn't do it sooner. Either way your going to have a ball with the Compadre. :thumbsup:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll second Sandman's remarks.

I have used the Compadre and you are going to love it!

If you have the cash, I'd recommend the Garrett Propointer too. I never ever hunt without one anymore, unless I'm going to the beach.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions