rainyday101

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Longhair. That is about what I would expect from a 6" coil and I do believe it will get deeper in the ground.

Rusted Iron, thanks I do agree the Tejon would be a great candidate.

I currently use Tesoro, but am not brand dedicated. I will buy what works best within my budget no matter what make.

Nobody has chimed in on the F70 or M6, any takers?

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Cortes, Lobo Super Traq, Golden Umax 2.0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run my 705 wide open 99 tones but if I had to listen to that noise from that garrett in my headphones I would go nuts.

The 705 looks like a really nice Detector. You can give a 705 a spin in this simulator game and listen to the tones:

MDG - WEB game

OP
OP
rainyday101

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, scanman. Now my kids are playing it non stop.

rws51

May 12, 2009
For pure depth, the Fisher CZ's are hard to beat. You can find them well under 700.00, and they are built like a tank. My favorite CZ is the CZ5 with an analog meter.
They run on 5 and 15 kHz, so you have a great silver and gold detector, it works great at the beach, and will hang with almost anything as far as depth is concerned.....HH

Roger

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For pure depth, the Fisher CZ's are hard to beat. You can find them well under 700.00, and they are built like a tank. My favorite CZ is the CZ5 with an analog meter.
They run on 5 and 15 kHz, so you have a great silver and gold detector, it works great at the beach, and will hang with almost anything as far as depth is concerned.....HH

Roger

I have used almost every detector out there at one time or another and as far as raw depth on a coin, my CZ5 is as deep or deeper than anything I have used. I love the analog meter and it a nickel magnet. It does have one negative drawback and that is that it loves deep nails !!! I have learned how to avoid most of them but still get fooled every now and then. I saw one on a classified recently for $375 with two coils and I promise you that if I had the money I would have jumped on it. They can be found way under $700.

OP
OP
rainyday101

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used almost every detector out there at one time or another and as far as raw depth on a coin, my CZ5 is as deep or deeper than anything I have used. I love the analog meter and it a nickel magnet. It does have one negative drawback and that is that it loves deep nails !!! I have learned how to avoid most of them but still get fooled every now and then. I saw one on a classified recently for $375 with two coils and I promise you that if I had the money I would have jumped on it. They can be found way under $700.

Are the new CZ3D's as good? What are the main differences between the CZ5 and CZ3D? Can they still be serviced?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to throw the Explorer SE Pro out there. It is a deep coin, beach, relic machine with a proven track record and would be within your budget on the slightly used market. The stock coil and a Sunray X-5 coil will cover about any hunting situation you will encounter. If you want even greater depth the 15" WOT coil will give unbelievable depth and coverage. Although I have never owned the Explorer, while learning the Etrac I have studied the differences between the two pretty extensively ( still an ongoing process). It would be my choice with the budget you mentioned. Good luck Rainyday!

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that the need for extreme depth for coin hunting is overrated. I think if you are finding "70s quarters at six inches and wheats at 7" that there are not likely silver coins deeper. I hunt some really old sites and have found large cents and colonial coins at four inches. At these sites there are no coins deeper than that. I have found these not so deep really old coins in the sandy soil of coastal MA as well as the dirt of N.Y. state. (I run a Safari) I think that coins don't sink as much as most folks do, and the main reason for coins being deeper is from landscaping and re-sodding. On sites where I find deeper clad I think the area has been re-done and if there was a foot or more of soil added you won't hit those really deep coins that "might" be below that level or you would need a PI to find them. I will probably get a lot of flak here, but my hunting buddy and I started with BFOs in the early seventies and have not really found much more on the sites we hunted then after going back with generations of more modern higher tech machines. Another reason for not finding old silver where one finds wheaties is that may areas have been cherry picked for silver by sharpies at a previous time. I have taken my PI back to places that yielded nice silver coins and not found any deeper ones missed by machines with average to excellent depth capabilities.

OP
OP
rainyday101

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that the need for extreme depth for coin hunting is overrated. I think if you are finding "70s quarters at six inches and wheats at 7" that there are not likely silver coins deeper. I hunt some really old sites and have found large cents and colonial coins at four inches. At these sites there are no coins deeper than that. I have found these not so deep really old coins in the sandy soil of coastal MA as well as the dirt of N.Y. state. (I run a Safari) I think that coins don't sink as much as most folks do, and the main reason for coins being deeper is from landscaping and re-sodding. On sites where I find deeper clad I think the area has been re-done and if there was a foot or more of soil added you won't hit those really deep coins that "might" be below that level or you would need a PI to find them. I will probably get a lot of flak here, but my hunting buddy and I started with BFOs in the early seventies and have not really found much more on the sites we hunted then after going back with generations of more modern higher tech machines. Another reason for not finding old silver where one finds wheaties is that may areas have been cherry picked for silver by sharpies at a previous time. I have taken my PI back to places that yielded nice silver coins and not found any deeper ones missed by machines with average to excellent depth capabilities.

Gunsil, you may very well be right on the deep coins thinking, BUT I will never know for sure unless I try. Even you had to go back and try to be sure. You are probably right but I don't want to spend the rest of my days wondering. It also gives me an excuse to get another detector and who doesn't need another detector. Our obsession keeps the metal detector companies in bussiness! Thanks for your input.

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are the new CZ3D's as good? What are the main differences between the CZ5 and CZ3D? Can they still be serviced?

The new CZ3D is not as preferred as the Los Bano's model but from what I have heard they are still good. I can't speak from experience with that so I hate to even comment on that. As far as I know the CZ5 and the CZ3D can still be serviced by Fisher. The things are built like tanks and very durable. I have never had to send one in for service and I have owned two CZ5's. As far as differences, the CZ3D has four tones instead of 3 like the CZ5. The CZ3D is designed for older sites because it is tuned to bring the older nickles, IH pennies and other older targets up into the high tone range when in enhanced mode. Some gold rings and gold coins will also give a high tone. I have never used a CZ3D but other than those differences, I think they are basically the same.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The new CZ3D is not as preferred as the Los Bano's model but from what I have heard they are still good. I can't speak from experience with that so I hate to even comment on that. As far as I know the CZ5 and the CZ3D can still be serviced by Fisher. The things are built like tanks and very durable. I have never had to send one in for service and I have owned two CZ5's. As far as differences, the CZ3D has four tones instead of 3 like the CZ5. The CZ3D is designed for older sites because it is tuned to bring the older nickles, IH pennies and other older targets up into the high tone range when in enhanced mode. Some gold rings and gold coins will also give a high tone. I have never used a CZ3D but other than those differences, I think they are basically the same.

Right!
The thing with the new CZ3D's are they are always compared to Los Banos models and not other detectors. The new ones might not have the depth as the old ones but they're still deeper while maintaining good target ID than almost anything else. Have it tuned by NASA Tom and you'll have the best coin machine money can buy!

Last edited:
OP
OP
rainyday101

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Right on Fella, I have been reading everything I can on the CZ3D and watching all the youtube vids. This is one amazing detector. I think I am in love! From what I have read the new CZ3D quality has been brought back up to standard. Seems it is quite embarrassing for a company to build a detector that needs to be sent to one of it's ex-employees to be brought up to snuff. From what I have read the quality and tuning are back on the newer models. I am gonna keep an eye out for a good price on a used CZ3d or CZ-5. A fair amount of people also posted the CZ3D was preferred over the F70. I don't understand why Fisher left such a good platform behind. Fella brings up a really good point-

The thing with the new CZ3D's are they are always compared to Los Banos models and not other detectors.

The CZ3D is exactly what I wanted in a coin detector that Tesoro does not have. Looks like I am going old school! Of course using Tesoro's I already am, and I mean that in a good way.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right rainyday, of course you have to try, and you will perhaps find a few you missed. You're also right about we all need more detectors, why not?? Christmas is coming, I have to at least treat myself to a new coil or shaft system for one of my machines. If you don't treat yourself well who else will?? Have fun with whatever new machine you get, although my vote would be for a minelab.

OP
OP
rainyday101

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gunsil, trust me the Xterra has been in my sights for awhile. The thing is I have talked to several people that I trust and I get 50/50 on them. Some say great on depth, some say average. Some say great target separation, some say so-so. Never anything bad, but the outstanding seems to be 50/50. Now I am not saying they are a bad detector and some of the people that tried them and dumped them are no doubt very used to what they were running for a long time. So you throw in something new and different and immediately their success rate drops because they are in learning phase. In this case it's easy to blame the detector and dump it. That is true with any brand. Learn what you have and learn it well and you WILL be successful.

What really bites for me is I was out of town a few weeks back and went even further out of the way to go to a detector shop that had Xterra's on the floor. I get there and the lady at the store did not know a dam thing about them! She just manned the shop because the owner worked out of town. I was short on time and did not have time to read the manual and set the 505 up properly so that I could test it. That really bites because I was really looking forward to trying out a 505. It also did not help that I didn't have my reading glasses with me.

Personally if I had more time and money I would set up an online shop that rented detectors by the week so people like us on the forums could try before we buy. I know I would be renting a few different ones just to see. Don't be afraid to steal that idea and do it. I don't have the time or extra cash to take on such and endeavor.

I don't plan on buying until spring of next year, but now that the ground is frozen, frost is 6 inches deep and most lakes have 2-3 inches of ice on them, I have plenty time to read and research. My main goal is to get a deep coin detector that can pick through the trash really well. To me the target separation will be as important as the depth due to the areas I hunt. For me where this trash and old pulltabs are- the coins are usually right there also. My best silver this year was found in the worst trash I ever detected in. This next detector will probably be used when I buy to keep the cost down. I like Tesoro, but I will buy the detector that best suits my needs for strictly coins, with silver being my main target. Right now the CZ3D and CZ5 have really got my attention.

Another detector that really gets my attention is the Detector Pro Pirate Pro. That baby runs at 2.5 Khz and some have said that on land it is one sweet and deep silver seeker. I know it's only single tone, but hey, I run Tesoro's now and am used to that.

I don't dislike people on here for example just because they own a minelab. But if they own a minelab and there dog pisses in my front yard, that's another story. Just kidding Gunsil! We all use what works best for us.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will agree with gunsil's earlier comment....i have dug very few coins over 6-7 inches deep. Several Indian pennies dating 1880's being the deepest. Most 1920-1950 silver coins have been 4 to 6 inches. In my state (VA) the only real deep stuff that i dig is civil war relics those are mostly 8 inches plus, unless the field has been turned...then who knows??? But i am sure depth can vary with locations. And there is always that rarity......I dug a 1999 quarter in my dads yard that was atleast 8 inches???? I am just saying that i beleive MOST of your better machines will find MOST coins with depth being the only problem. Just go with the machine that appeals to you. None of the machines mentioned in this post are "bad machines" and all should find your silver for you...

HDRK11

Feb 3, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal, MXT, Tejon & Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the Tejon or a MXT/M6. I have experience with the three and enjoy the simplicity and they'll keep up with the best of them.

dennco2000

Dec 4, 2012
Englewood Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Mark II - AT Pro - Garrett 580 PP.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Looking for a deep coin detector under $700. I am currently finding 70's quarters at 6" deep and 40's Wheaties at 7". The older stuff has gotta be deeper. Currently using a Silver uMax at almost it's depth limit. I would like multi tone but not totally necessary. My soil is very mild and I am only after silver and the clad that comes with it. Great target separation is a must as most of the areas are trashy. Not looking to relic hunt, prospect, or jewelry hunt with this detector.

Looked at Vaquero. Reviews say deep, but has a passion for deep metal. Kinda ruling that out. Same with the Tejon.

Whites M6. Has a cult following, but is it real deep? I think it is against the law for Whites users to post air test results. Never see any. Do like the multi tones.

Fisher F70 seems to be really deep but needs to be mastered. Even deep with the 5" coil. Does have multi tone.

Xterra 505. Can change frequencies, but the coils are expensive. Depth from what I have read is decent but it doesn't seem to be a depth monster. Target separation is questionable depending on who you believe.

Omega. Reviews indicate this thing can't handle EMI at all without turning the sense way down and loosing depth. With no EMI it seems deep.

Detector Pro Pirate Pro. An interesting one for silver coins as it runs at 2.5KHz. People say it is the Fisher 1280 circuit. Pretty deep from what I have read. Sven shows how to tune it for more depth as the circuit board has multi-turn pots on it. Great price on it.

Garrett AT. Not interested, tried one, poor balance, small display, sounds annoying.

Any suggestions or feedback?

My suggestion... save up another $700 and shop again with a $1400 or $1500 dollar budget. I have 2 machines, one PI $900 and one ATPro $650. Wish I had spent more on the second and bought a much better multi freq machine.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rainyday, it is also good to check out Craigslist for used machines, there are a lot of folks buying detectors these days and finding they really don't like the hobby and sell them without much use. I got my ATP for $300, it was an early one but it had been sent back for the free factory updates. Just got a five year old excal that had been used three times before the owner passed away and he had only used it in his backyard. Paid less than half of a new one. There is a site called "Ad Hunter" where you can search all of Craigslist in the country. Just type in the machine you're looking for and hit search. I also think detectors may be like boats, there are more good used ones for sale in the winter when less people are using them. Hope you find a nice machine and have fun with it!!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you'll find that old time users tend to have a couple or more different detectors.

By the middle 80's, I had 3 - Garrett Deepseeker ADS, Fisher 1260X, and a Tesoro Royal Sabre.

Each detector had it's own purposes.

In good soil that Garrett was good for 8" to 10" in good moist soil. I actually dug a balled up cigarette pack elbow deep, about 13". But put that Garrett in highly mineralized soil, like coal slag and stuff like that - it was impossible to use.

So, I picked up the Fisher, and it cut right through that same soil like a butter knife. Found a walking liberty in the very same spot the Garrett couldn't go.

And then, in very high surface trash areas, where both the Garrett & Fisher were just frustrating, the Tesoro's notch discrimination reached down and got those silver dimes.

Each of these (maybe not the Tesoro - never got real deep with that) were capable of reaching 8+ inches. And that's 30 year old technology.

Depth has improved with some of the new machines, but not all of them. The hobby has gone to gizmos, screens, ID's, and numbers. That's pretty neat stuff, but as I've witnessed, new guys (& gals) get dependent on these often inaccurate indications, and leave good stuff in the ground.

Go multi-tone and listen to what the ground is telling you! It's a language you need to learn :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread