Fisher F5 or Minelab xterra705

lem49

Mar 25, 2010
Repuplic of Panama
Detector(s) used
fisher cz7a pro, Tesoro Vaquero, whites coinmaster GT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand that both are good machines. The 705 has excellent features like auto track, and you can change freq by purchasing
additional coils. But the coils are not all waterproof.

The Fisher F5 Has features I like as well, plus it can be swung faster and resets quickly. Torn between the two.:BangHead: I hunt for coins and jewlery mostly but relic hunting may be in my future.

Appreciate everyones input and I know everyone has their favorites, I guess one question I should ask, if you were to compare the
minelab at MF 7.5 versus Fishers 8khz how do they stack up.

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I honestly cannot compare. I have never owned a Fisher. But I can tell you that the 705 is a vey good detector. It is very versatile and I have made some very good finds with it in some not very good soil conditions. I have one and will keep it!! Great unit:thumbsup:

whitewill_1

Jan 5, 2013
Pittsburgh PA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Whites TDI, FISHER F2, BOUNTY HUNTER JUNIOR, WHITES COINMASTER 6000Di S2, Garrett ProPointer, FISHER PINPOINTER, SUNJOE HORI HORI DIGGER
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haven't met an FT detector I didn't like. Buy American.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
lem49
With either machine if your lucky enough to put the coil over the target,good or bad...both will give you good sounding or... bad sounding signals deep, and both meters will lie sometimes...you can`t go wrong with either.. just learn the one You choose...the F5 is $499.00 the 705 is a couple hundred more.
Gary

Last edited:

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the F5 is quite the sleeper in its price range... Especially when coupled with the DD coil. The only thing I don't like is its use of 9V batteries.

The X-Terra 705 is also loaded with features for the $$$... But it is more expensive than the F5. And you can adapt it to your hunting situation a bit better with a coil/freq change.

If you can afford it, grab the X-Terra 705.... You can go a long way with it.

If cost is more of a concern, you'd be fine with the F5.

Let me know if I can help you with anything on either detector.

OP
OP
lem49

lem49

Mar 25, 2010
Repuplic of Panama
Detector(s) used
fisher cz7a pro, Tesoro Vaquero, whites coinmaster GT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appreciate the response, I guess what I am interested in knowing, is the f5 equal in sensitivity and depth as the 705 mf 7.5khz Is the HF 18.75 less
effective than other HF like the Gold bug pro?

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do all sorts of hunting with a 705, and I only use the 18.75kHz coils at the beach. Everywhere else I prefer the 7.5kHz and 3kHz coils.
And now that Coiltek is making Xterra coils, and they came out with both a 15" DD (WOT) and a 6" DD "Digger in 3kHz, they have been my primary tools.

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
If you are ok with the price of the 705, why not compare it with Fisher F 70? Both are great machines.

The 705 can operate at 3 frequencies based on your coil choice and also has prospecting mode that will easily add 2" depth.

Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Treasurecoast I agree, why compare the 705 to the f-5,,,,, totally different detector,,personally I prefer the f5 to the 705,,,but I have no time on the 705, i've just held it and read about the features. I just loved the f5 interface so its just a personal thing. The 3 frequencies is a fun idea, but why buy the coil when I can buy the detector,,,,lol (the same point in reverse,,,lol) I don't know that anyone can really tell the performance difference between 3 and 7 kGz but 7 kGz and 18kGz I believe you can. Now price and feature/performance I would say f-70 and the 705 is a good debate. But I have no dog in the hunt as I've never used either unit.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up an F70 after I had my Xterra for a couple of years. I was looking for a backup detector and had heard good things. However, setting it up so it was stable was a challenge and I never got used to the chatter. The Xterra chatters some, but much less than the F70. I finally sold the f70 because I didn't enjoy using it. The Xterra has tons of features but is simple enough to take out of the box and use with minimal learning curve. And the choice of how many target tones you want to use is fantastic.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I saw were some said the 705 was slow .. I found it to be just as fast as most VLF detectors That i have used .. It is not BBS or FBS they are slow But The X-Terra 705 i did not find slow..

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are ok with the price of the 705, why not compare it with Fisher F 70? Both are great machines.

The 705 can operate at 3 frequencies based on your coil choice and also has prospecting mode that will easily add 2" depth.

Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet

I agree with this also. If the 705 is in your price range and budget, the F70 would be a more fair comparison. Now take the following worth a grain a salt as I own neither, but have spent all winter researching both of these. You will be hard pressed to find someone saying something bad about the 705. From what I have read it is a great all around detector. The F70 it is easier to find some bad reports on, but this thing is hot and sensitive and needs to be tamed. Those that do tame it do really well. If were a choice based on depth, I would take the F70. If were for a great all around detector that is easy to operate, I would take the 705.

Big Red

Feb 4, 2012
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett: Grand Master Hunter CX III, CX Plus, GTI 2500, GTI 1500, GTA 1000 Ultra, Tesoro Lobo Super track, Sorex Pro, Discovery Electronics: Treasure Baron GoldTrax, Treasure Baron CoinTrax. Minelab:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought a 705 and it's still on the way, so I cannot comment on it's performance, yet? I have owned the Fisher F-5 and loved it, except for one thing.....It loves iron and does not seem able to discriminate it out very well? I have had this problem in the past, with all the Fishers I have owned, (X models and that was "many"!) through the 40 years I have been detecting. Finding super small nails, pieces of wire, pins, bottle caps, etc.
I believe that Fisher machines are, for some reason, just biased against iron? Never understood why? But, know it to be true still, to this day, because the F-5 is that way?.....Other than that one thing, loved the F-5 for it's buttons and dials, light weight, every adjustment you make is on the screen, beautiful looking detector and button/dial set-up, the best I've ever seen! But, I just don't like digging iron, so much?.....Heard nothing but good things about the 705, but still have no, first hand experience with one. Hopefully, soon! Big Red

mojotrout

Jan 21, 2013
Idaho's high desert
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello, Im not an expert, but I have owned an F5 and currently own a 705. I like both detectors -- the F5 because of its interface--the best and easiest Ive used, its depth is reasonable (7-8" on a dime), and it is light. I like the 705 because of its versatility (different freq and sized coils), and the tools it has to overcome difficult hunting situations (auto GB, GB tracking, noise cancel, etc). I agree with Keith at Ft Bedford, the F5 is a pretty nice machine for the money, but if youre going to do a bunch of different hunting in different conditions, maybe the X-terra is something you should consider. If you stick to just coins and jewelry on land, the F5 makes a lot of sense for the money. On the bad side, I found the F5 to be susceptible to interference more than the 705 or my Tesoros, and Ive found that the 705 will give iron responses to deeper targets even if they are not iron.

Good luck with whatever you decide, you should be happy with either. I was!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread