Best relic shovel???

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell ya what the samson t handles are a very hard shovel to beat & comes in different sizes to accommodate the user. I had a very nice 18" one I brought every where, my suggestion would be go into the marketplace & look for the guy sask he is making off the wall shovels that will work as good or better in many different styles,ur choice of colors & now different handle choices with a simple pin pull cheaper then a samson to

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my Raven 25 from predator tools, comes with a 5 year warranty, only weighs 3lbs 3oz which is very light for a full sized shovel, and its indestructible.

The Raven

Mobius1

Sep 10, 2013
Orange, California
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305 (two years experience)
E-trac (currently learning)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Make sure the shovel you buy can stand up and reach your mid-torso.

I have a lesche t-handle, it's not very tall, but I use it for coin shooting and it does the job perfectly except for one aspect... I am bending over multiple times because the shovel is fairly short.

Now, this doesn't bother me since I'm very young at 17 years old, but I know if it's bothering my back then I can't imagine the older gentlemen.

Make sure the shovel is tall enough, lightweight, and has a thin, sturdy blade and you have the perfect shovel.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See I thought the same to I'm 6'2" & 31 years old I thought a 18" was just dumb to small I wantd a 40 something inch well the wife went & ordered it for me the 18" & I can still put my foot on it to get a good bite into the ground & while I obviously can't stand straight up & use it. I can harness its full potential on the ground something you can't do with a big shovel,& the smaller sized handle ones ate easier to conceal I bought a samson bomb sheath & carried it everywhere. Now if you can't decide well that member sask hunter is making awesome shovels he just came up with an idea a shovel with 2 interchangeable handles a shorter one & longer one short for public,long for woods. At just a change of a pin,verse buying 2 shovels for what almost 180$ & or ur buying a big one wishing you bought a small one or vise versa. I plan on getting the model he has with the interchanganle handles & get a s load of different heights still be a lot cheaper,made out of the same steel lesche uses

Mobius1

Sep 10, 2013
Orange, California
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305 (two years experience)
E-trac (currently learning)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The interchangeable idea sounds like the best option available. As long as you're not emptying your wallet for a shovel then go for it! Best of luck finding one!!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The interchangeable idea sounds like the best option available. As long as you're not emptying your wallet for a shovel then go for it! Best of luck finding one!!

Honestly its another member who came up with ideas on.making shovels, takin what he likes, actually listening to what we are looking for, me I like the idea my opinion could help,along with putting my own color scheme on it aswell I don't think there an arm an a leg, really

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys....all are good points. I currently use a folding military issue shovel. Very tuff and folds up small enough to go in my trash pouch. But is a little short when relic hunting and doing a lot of digging. I can feel it at the end of a long relic hunt. I am 31 years old and right at 6ft. What length handle do you think i would need to keep bending over to a minimum without being really bulky to carry around a field all day? The Raven shovel is nice, but really not crazy about putting over $100 in a shovel.....Thanks!

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Raven shovel is nice, but really not crazy about putting over $100 in a shovel.....Thanks!

Honestly neither was I. I mean 100 bucks for a shovel.. come on seriously..... But after finally biting the bullet and ordering mine, I would not trade it for anything, and I have no regrets. If I am using this shovel I do not carry my little Lesche digger trowel.. this is all I need. And I am over 6 foot 2.. Ohh and its $116 dollars with shipping.. Do not order the foot pads .. the foot pads weigh more than the shovel and are not needed.

msviking

Feb 13, 2013
Flowood, Mississippi & Orange Beach, AL
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Minelab CTX3030
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Other
I prefer my short handled Sampson due to the ease in carrying. I have the longer one but almost always leave it in the truck. I bought a shovel "holster" on Amazon and will frequently wear it on my belt. I do a lot of hunting in fields where large spaces between finds is the norm.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just ordered the Raven from Predator tools....most expensive but it was what i wanted.....Thanks to all!

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
what do you hunt with now ?

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really liked that the Raven's head measures almost 12 inches....which means i can turn a plug out that is nearly a foot deep the first time on those deep bullets. The others were around 7 inches so this means digging several times....

Roaddust.....i currently use a folding military shovel......folds up small and works great for most applications.

corpsman

Jul 7, 2015
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Had: Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Bandito 2 uMax, Tesoro Bandito 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it really depends on where you're hunting. if I'm hunting at a construction site, or in a field, I use the Lesche 38D. it is hands down the best shovel I have ever had. but, you wouldn't want to carry that into someone's yard, or have to carry it around in a thick wooded area. for those areas, my favorite is the Lesche Sampson 31" ball handle. also, an excellent digging tool. I prefer the ball, because the T handle hangs on a lot of stuff when hunting in brushy or wooded areas.

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
ur gonna love that raven the first time u cut thru a 1" root like nuthin. gl anHH

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have over 18 months use on my Raven now and it is still going strong....i have tried a sampson and some other shovels but none compare to the Predator shovels. They are worth every penny...

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant think of the name right now...but the blue shovel that Predator makes is awesome also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread