Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Guys

Just a quickie.

Which is the better beach detector in wet sand, doesn´t need to be water proof,

The G 2 or the AT Pro ? ?

I'd assume that the AT pro would operate better considering that the G2 operates on a higher frequency and is extremely sensitive, but I'm not sure.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Of the two, the AT Pro. With that said, the G2 (19kHz) is a gold nugget machine and will simply go nuts (falsing) in wet saltwater sand, and the AT Pro (being a single-frequency VLF) operating at 15kHz, is also going to false and lose depth in wet saltwater sand.

OP
OP
Corlett

Corlett

Jan 22, 2014
Manchester
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Special edition
Whites Dual field P.I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok ..
I am a little suprised that the AT pro was suggested to be better, I have the G 2 and have used the AT Pro and the G 2 is by far better, I started this thread to see if other users shared my opinion.

What bothers me a little is the AT pro being advertised as a Beach detector, which is not entirely true, the G2 once correctly ground balanced is a dream in wet sand and exceeds the AT quite a bit, The AT can be used in wet sand but is less stable and at the cost of sacrificing depth and sensibility, I do like the AT Pro but it is defenately not a so called wet sand detector neither is the G 2 allthough in its class is about the best, the AT for inland and fresh water / rivers is another thing intirely, and does excell.

I just consider the AT when advertised as a Beach detector to be a little misleading and I know of many people whom have bought it for wet sand detecting ( as advertised ) to then be very dissapointed and frankly annoyed that it was sold to them as that, it should state that it is a fresh water detector, but can be used in salt water allthough not recomended.

Please don´t take this the wrong way I an by no means Anti AT, it is a lovely machine but I am a little anti mis leading advertising, money doesn´t grow on trees and is earnt through hard work, and one cannot afford to invest in a tool which isn´t realy the tool for the job..

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am more than shocked that you feel the Teknetics G2 is a good wet saltwater sand machine. You can't touch the sand with it at all without it falsing. Why wouldn't you be using your Dual Field in the wet sand? I agree completely that the AT Pro is NOT a saltwater machine, but the G2 is not a saltwater machine either.

OP
OP
Corlett

Corlett

Jan 22, 2014
Manchester
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Special edition
Whites Dual field P.I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do use my dual field but onlf in the surf, which tides do not all ways allow ( if you go high tide ) and a pulse induction machine in dry sand with trash is a no no.
Honestly though the G 2 is better in wet sand. I have compared them both, sometimes such `` suprises ´´ are found out, but vendors and clever marketing detract our atention from the reality of things and advertising is an art....

P.S the G 2 is a great wet sand detector, here is sometinhg I found on a French site ( sorry being french and no translation ) but it is true the G 2 is better in the wet sand than the AT, ground balances better...

I am not trying to start a `` detector war `` by no means, but this is what forums are for, exchange of opinions and debates on `` what´s out there ´´ etc etc, My apolagies to the AT users, this is by no means a critic on the machine, it is great it is only to note that advertising is not allways 100 % reliable, and we cannot trust entirely what it says on the box..

HighPlainsHunter

Apr 17, 2008
Forney, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing to consider is the beach that is being hunted. Beaches vary from one location to another. While a particular detector may work well, or acceptably, on one beach, it may be a different story at another. It's the same as land hunting where there may little mineralization in some areas, while there may be extreme mineralization in another. Even the best salt water detectors may vary their performance in different locals.

Just one more thing to ponder,
HighPlainsHunter

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Teknetics G2 does ground balance all the way down to salt.. and with it`s duel processors should do wet salt sand.
Gary

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions