Gamma 6000 or Coinmaster GT

timfrommn

Mar 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I'm new to metal detecting and have a budget of about $400. I'm looking for something useful for relic hunting around old farmsteads etc. I believe I've narrowed it down to the Coinmaster GT or the Gamma 6000 (which I found on Amazon for $429). I see a lot of information on the forums on the Delta 4000 and Coinmaster Pro but not much on the Gamma or GT. Thoughts?

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Forget the Coinmaster Pro! One of the weakest performing entry detectors I've ever used/owned. You can get much better performance for $100 less.
Without ever having used a Gamma I'd buy that no question if that's the only two options.

OP
OP
T

timfrommn

Mar 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forget the Coinmaster Pro! One of the weakest performing entry detectors I've ever used/owned.
But this is a statement on the Pro rather than the GT right? I've heard that that GT uses different electronics than the pro (as well as adding ground balance) and is a quite a bit better machine. I did find one rather disappointing air test on the GT but then read that air tests are all but worthless for evaluating depth.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But this is a statement on the Pro rather than the GT right? I've heard that that GT uses different electronics than the pro (as well as adding ground balance) and is a quite a bit better machine. I did find one rather disappointing air test on the GT but then read that air tests are all but worthless for evaluating depth.

You are correct. I was commenting on the Pro not the GT. That's my mistake, sorry.

The only experience I have with the GT is playing with one at a dealers. My impression was cheap and flimsy. If I remember right the first ones did not have cam locks on the shafts and they wobbled quite a bit like the Coinmaster Pro. I think the new ones DO have cam locks and have improved in that area.

OP
OP
T

timfrommn

Mar 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fella, Thanks for the information. One of the differences in the two machines is the ground balance. The Gamma has a "ground grab" feature and also a manual GB setting while the GT has only automatically adjusting GB with no manual override. How important is the manual override for ground balance?

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was unaware that the GT did not have a manual GB feature. For that matter alone, I'd opt for a detector that does. I'm going to assume that because the Gamma has a "ground grab" feature it tracks the ground like the GT.

I really doubt one is better than the other. Dunno if it matters to you but the Tek uses one 9v battery while the GT uses 6 AA's.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The gamma 6000 has the ground grab but not the ground tracking, basically they call the auto ground balance "ground grab". As for the detector vs. the GT, even if I am a whites fan, I would rather have the 6000...

Apr 11, 2013
Wyoming Valley. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So i just checked out the 6000 and have used the GT for a little over a year now. only differences i see are ...

batteries: 6000: 1 9v - GT: 8 aaa's
coil : 6000 8" - GT 9"
6000 has manual ground balancing , GT doesn't but has the ability to lock tracking.
6000 has a frequency of 7.8, GT is 8.1
I can't find anything about warranties on the 6000 but i know i have a 3 year warranty with the GT.
the GTs display has an option to turn on a backlight so you can see your display in the dark.

If you ask me both have some edges over the other but ultimately your gonna find the same stuff with both. Being biased i would say go with the GT.

Either way as a relic hunter ( as am i) once you know your machine your gonna want a better(more expensive) machine eventually.

Last edited:

daemon1971

Sep 23, 2012
southeast mi
Detector(s) used
pioneer 202, gamma 6000, Garrett ATPro, tesoro vaquero
I have the gamma , I am very pleased with it. I don't have anything negative to say about either detector , but I figured I would chime in with the warranty info.... Gamma has a 5 year warranty .
H.H.
Bill

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I'm new to metal detecting and have a budget of about $400. I'm looking for something useful for relic hunting around old farmsteads etc. I believe I've narrowed it down to the Coinmaster GT or the Gamma 6000 (which I found on Amazon for $429). I see a lot of information on the forums on the Delta 4000 and Coinmaster Pro but not much on the Gamma or GT. Thoughts?

A thought....
I like my Gamma. If you get the Gamma and some better coils, you can use those same coils when you upgrade to a G2 or GoldbugPro. And possibly the F19.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Yea but if they air test bad it ain't gonna get get better with soil between the coil and the target..And air test are not worthless as they do give a resonable idea of depth on a machine with adj.ground balance..Fixed ground also if you have mild soil..

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
I have written scrolls about why air tests are the best way to pre-determine a detectors in-the-ground depth potential, but urban legends seem to like to scoff at them. Sooooo, I am posting M-I-N-E-L-A-B-S article concerning the subject. Sorry ML owners but this comes from one of your own favorite people, a Minelab shill and oficionado. . And of course George Payne and other noteworthy detector engineers and technicians will tell you the same thing.. AIR TESTS ARE THE BEST WAY TO GET A BEST IDEA OF A DETECTOR'S DEPTH (POTENTIA)L: Enjoy the read, it's about 1/3 the way down, but the whole thing is worth reading, and especially right before the statement about air depth tests. If you read the entire article, you will also discover that a detector can (not) get a signal past its radiated power at all, although iron halos can and sometimes will produce a greater, but not deeper signal.. Metal Detector's Sensitivity, Discrimination & Depth

Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are "relic hunting" you would do better with the Coinmaster GT. Relic hunters do not notch out iron, and the CoinGT's range is -95 to 0 for iron over the Gamma's 0 to 40 (that works into the non ferrous scale of the Gamma, leaving a numeric scale remaining of 59 to work with for IDing non ferrous targets). The 190 numeric range of the CoinGT over the 99 of the Gamma gives a more defined reading of sought targets.

Air tests are OK for comparing depth readings between two or more detector using the same setup, but detecting in the ground is something different. Air tests are not affected my mineralization that may affect the depth as well as the detectors ability to properly ID. Depending on the air test, most usually don't bring to light true ground conditions, like a null of a target that see's a nail, and if nail is notched or above the target the target disappears from ID.

The CoinGT is slightly better over the Gamma for relic hunting as far as ID. The Gamma is better for most hunting due to it's manual GB. Trac on the GT only works down to 40, unless you put it into Beach mode. The Gamma can manually go down to 0.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread