Deus vs Nexus Standard MkII vs Minelab Explorer SE vs AKA Sorex

Garytopman

Jan 3, 2011
Moscow
Detector(s) used
AKA-Signum,Sorex Pro,Kondor.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting video,but how can we be sure,that those operators set the detectors properly.Meaning Sorex as far I am concerned and interested in AKA,who produces it,it is rather complex and needs a proper GB first done,then how can we be sure,that the sensitivity was good?No way.I did not hear any falsing during Sorex tried to catch the target,that means lower sensitivity.At the same time,Nexus sounded very lowdly,that says it was set for deep.Also,the standart coil for Sorex could be any of AKA' coils,including 3 kHz coils.Using it,will bring additional 10-15% of depth under the same settings.
So,a number of points could change the final results in the video.

OP
OP
S

sirusramse

Mar 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting video,but how can we be sure,that those operators set the detectors properly.Meaning Sorex as far I am concerned and interested in AKA,who produces it,it is rather complex and needs a proper GB first done,then how can we be sure,that the sensitivity was good?No way.I did not hear any falsing during Sorex tried to catch the target,that means lower sensitivity.At the same time,Nexus sounded very lowdly,that says it was set for deep.Also,the standart coil for Sorex could be any of AKA' coils,including 3 kHz coils.Using it,will bring additional 10-15% of depth under the same settings.
So,a number of points could change the final results in the video.
Look the overlay video. It shows what is on the front panel of each detector used, settings etc.
Besides you do not honestly expect any detector with a small 10" coil of any kind top get small coin this deep, do you? I mean this is quite impossible. Look at the big coil Minelab was using. It also got nothing.
When you listen at the sound level of each detector when they try it with the coin in air I would not say anyone was quite. They just didn't detect the target.
You can probably do some test your self. Get a similar coin and see how far you can detect it in air with Deus, Minelab etc.
If you can not get this much detection in air surely will not happen in ground either.
I can detect in air the same size coin at almost 20" with MkII so the depth on the video is more than realistic to me.
Another point is that the other detectors all use DD coils. In my experience DD coils on the Nexus do not go as deep as the #8 coils, not in the ground any way. This may be the case with the other brands to.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Resonant tuned coils have absolutely nothing to do with off resonance detectors (from the likes of A.H.Pro, C-Scope, even Tesoro I think). Instead of having a balanced coil (I.B./Induction Balance) as most non B.F.O. of the time did the coil was run out of balance. This did provide anomaly free discrimination but the depth loss involved killed sales and the technology/build standards of the time meant repeated coil failures. C-Scope eventually withdrew their machine from the market and and gave everyone a VLF 1000 in exchange.

geotracker

Greenie
Apr 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like how people are googling an then copy and pasting.....

OP
OP
S

sirusramse

Mar 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok guys. Let me make the following announcement.
I have decided to spend some small fortune and purchased the following detectors;
XP Deus with the big coil 13" or so.
Minelab CTX 3030 with 11"DD
Tesoro Cortes with the 9" spider coil and 10x12" DD coil
Garrett ATX with 12"DD coil. It does not look like DD coil to me though. More like concentric.
Fisher F75 with 11"DD fishbone look a like coil that hardly compares to a real 11"DD size, but what ever.

I am also expecting within 10 days to receive Whites Spectra V3i with 11"DD.

So I got all of these machines to run some tests and make up my mind if any of them will convince me over the Nexus Standard MkII and I also have Credo DDM with 10 and 13"DD coils now.

Today I was out on a small pre set test field with some pot holes and some modern coins buried a while back.
The Deus was interesting to use, but it clicks and chatters a lot at high sensitivity. When the sensitivity is lowered so the noisy crap is gone then it does not detect a 20 Euro cents coin at 10" under ground. Miserable at this price range.
What I did like about it is the ability to reduce sensitivity a lot so in difficult conditions makes it easy to use, not like Nexus that is a bit too sensitive and in the mud can be difficult to manage.
Also Deus have good choose of frequencies with the same search coil, so no need to swap coils like with Nexus.
However Credo DDM exhibited better dept and discrimination with smaller 10"DD coil compared to the larger DD coil the Deus used and its almost half the price. With #8, 9" search coil MkII was totally out of reach for Deus, but it also costs some more money.

I'll try the Deus factory programs on various conditions to see what's the benefit of them, but so far is not the winner.
On battery power Deus lasts as long as MkII about 6 hours. Credo goes for about 20 hours with 2500mA rechargeable.

I don't have in mind to crush down any detector in my collection, but to see for my self what is what. Enough gibberish on the forums.

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speechless, like old saying go big or go home right. Congrates on ur new tools

OP
OP
S

sirusramse

Mar 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only hope to be proven wrong about the Nexus. After all I'll end up with a better machine if that's the case.
The ATX, My Lord. This thing is HHHHEEAAVY. bloody hell. Only by the time I tried to set it up I got exhausted. With this detector one needs a lot of muscles.

GreenHat

Mar 3, 2014
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well... at least that answers the question "which of us could afford a Bentley?". Sounds like sirusramse put his money where his mouth is LOL! Hopefully you post videos of all your tests. I also want to hear more about your tests with the Deus. I have just about talked myself into buying one but will purchase another if I can get a better detector for the money. Will be definitely doing some research into the Nexus as I have never heard of them before.

Last edited:

dirtdiggler10

Tenderfoot
Jan 21, 2014
The Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax, Tesoro Golden Umax (old tones), and XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is some tips with depth in regards to the deus. I don't mean offend by listing some no brainers but I figured Id throw them in anyway . When you power it up make sure that the coil isn't next to any metal, that it is properly ground balanced, reactivity is set at 1 or 0 and the silencer is at -1. Reactivity and silencer settings greatly affects dept.

OP
OP
S

sirusramse

Mar 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured so far the Deus goes best with manual settings in the basic menu. Reactivity makes the detector work fast, but it chatters the crap out of me so I kept it 0 today. I haven't looked into the silencer yet. Will do next time whet I get out.

OP
OP
S

sirusramse

Mar 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about a Nexus shovel. It's the deepest out there, LOL.:laughing7:

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll need a backhoe with as much as you're putting out!

dirtdiggler10

Tenderfoot
Jan 21, 2014
The Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax, Tesoro Golden Umax (old tones), and XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sirusramse using silencer above 0 kills depth detection. Also keep in mind if you switch reactivity settings the silencer is reset. Using low reactivity settings automatically sets the silencer at two or more, which takes inches away from your scanning potential.

OP
OP
S

sirusramse

Mar 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sirusramse using silencer above 0 kills depth detection. Also keep in mind if you switch reactivity settings the silencer is reset. Using low reactivity settings automatically sets the silencer at two or more, which takes inches away from your scanning potential.
Thank's busy. I'll keep your advise in mind.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Throw an SDC 2300 in the ring too. It should be out any day now. Maybe it can be pre-ordered! Were all curious as to how it will test also.

OP
OP
S

sirusramse

Mar 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Throw an SDC 2300 in the ring too. It should be out any day now. Maybe it can be pre-ordered! Were all curious as to how it will test also.

I will, but first have to get done with the current collection. The Spectra V3i is about to come to. I hear some rumours that some folks in Bulgaria are manufacturing better coils for the V3i. I'll look into this to.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will, but first have to get done with the current collection. The Spectra V3i is about to come to. I hear some rumours that some folks in Bulgaria are manufacturing better coils for the V3i. I'll look into this to.

The ones ur hearing of are the sef (detech) coils I had all 3 for my v along with other coils but for most part the 10x12 barley came off I found it dealt better with emi,got better depth & separation then the stock 10dd, I've had many machines myself most recent were prizm4,Atpro,v3i,deus xp,xterra 705,& f75ltd now so if there's anything I could help with let me know settings ect

OP
OP
S

sirusramse

Mar 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ones ur hearing of are the sef (detech) coils I had all 3 for my v along with other coils but for most part the 10x12 barley came off I found it dealt better with emi,got better depth & separation then the stock 10dd, I've had many machines myself most recent were prizm4,Atpro,v3i,deus xp,xterra 705,& f75ltd now so if there's anything I could help with let me know settings ect
Actually the rumours are for V3i coils from a town called Montana in Bulgaria. That is far away from Detech I think some few hundred miles or so. I have some BG buddies that will help me figure this out, but folks in Bulgaria don't seem to put Detech coils on a very high regard.

Now, anyone that can make any useful suggestions for best depth results and best performance with any of the mentioned above detectors is welcome. I really want to see how much guts all of them have.
I'll make sure all goes on videos.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions