I have the at pro looking for a md with better depth

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys but I decided get the etrac and love it already pass threw threw the yard found a few wheats that the at pro missed at 8"

Need to change your icon now:metaldetector: since you went from 30/06 gov. to a 300 weatherby mag.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree. The NEL Attack coil added 3 to 5 inches on depth. A lot cheaper than a new detector with a new learning curve. Added feature of covering more ground per swing.
I'm running the Nel storm and my Pro blows the others out of the water. But You have to know your machine first.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Only steel and iron produce an (effective) "halo effect" according to George Payne, Minelab, Tesoro Electronics, Whites, Nautilus, Garrett, Teknetics, Jack Gifford, and me, and we are the guys who designed and built metal detectors.. just FYI. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
F75 or T2 are very deep seekers and alot of adjustability but not whites complicated..

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
F75 or T2 are very deep seekers and alot of adjustability but not whites complicated..

I hunt with guys who mostly use the T2 and I own a Fisher F75 *(old gold handle) version myself. I have seen a new F75 in DE mode and believe me it was deeeeeeep. I know the OP has went with the Etrac. But wanted to put this out there for anyone looking at this post.

The atp is a good machine as I actually seen one in action but the operator was a digging machine and never stopped swinging the whole time I have been hinting with him the few times I have went. Depth is overrated as the soil is like a slow moving water and brings things back up to the surface in time anyways. Also wasting time digging 1-2 foot holes actually decreases your finds rate. Its your time but why waste it. The atp will do the job, but if you wanna go deep, get a T2 or a F75.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I hunt with guys who mostly use the T2 and I own a Fisher F75 *(old gold handle) version myself. I have seen a new F75 in DE mode and believe me it was deeeeeeep. I know the OP has went with the Etrac. But wanted to put this out there for anyone looking at this post.

The atp is a good machine as I actually seen one in action, the operator was a digging machine and never stopped swinging the whole time I have been hinting with him the few times I have went. Depth is overrated as the soil is like a slow moving water and brings things back up to the surface in time anyways. Also wasting time digging 1-2 foot holes actually decreases your finds rate. Its your time but why waste it. The atp will do the job, but if you wanna go deep, get a T2 or a F75.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
never mind:icon_scratch:

Last edited:

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
If you want extra depth over the at pro, any trusted brand will do. Do all the comparissons you want, I would even take the compadre with small coil against the at pro for depth.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be careful.. I have a video test I took that the 5X8 masks really bad with iron/rusty nails...

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT Gold...true all metal mode with iron audio and it is deep even in awlful ground!

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want extra depth over the at pro, any trusted brand will do. Do all the comparissons you want, I would even take the compadre with small coil against the at pro for depth.

These are the comments that really confuse newbies.....i have both machines and the compadre is good to about 6 inches on anything smaller than a car hood. The At pro will get good depth if you take the time to learn it. Not one of the deepest out there but still one of my favorites.

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Nokta- Fors core / Makro--CF77 / Minelab CTX 3030 / XP deus /Velox 1 / RS PinPointer /Makro Waterproof PinPointer
Only steel and iron produce an (effective) "halo effect" according to George Payne, Minelab, Tesoro Electronics, Whites, Nautilus, Garrett, Teknetics, Jack Gifford, and me, and we are the guys who designed and built metal detectors.. just FYI. :thumbsup:
What about copper?Ive been able to detect the soil with my pin pointer for a few sec after the coppers removed from time to time.Get that green color in the soil all around a large cent.After years of doing this 1st hand I would disagree with this statment.Maybe Iron will produce a halo faster/Larger/all the time.But to say only Iron will make a halo I kindly disagree.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Find a cz-5,-6a both will shock you at there depth.
Haven't used a cz3d so can't tell you.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Your statement does not compute unless you are in an area with heavily mineralized soil. I compared my AT Pro side by side a couple of weeks ago with a CZ-21 and our depth was almost the same, except he could get an extra inch in the very center of his coil. Depth was about 10" in wet sand on a salt water beach, and this was a medium ring. I've dug corroded quarters much deeper than that and once a master lock up to my arm pit. The CZ of course is the better water detector due to it's stability. On dry land, AT Pro was the clear winner for a number of reasons.

Last edited:

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With my Nel Storm on the Pro I've been hitting pennies and silver 8 to10 inches regularly just go super slow and try to turn the iffy iffy signals into good ones. I've found that if you center the target and then make multiple sweeps over it you get a better reading on it

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
26 Barber dimes and 28 Indian heads from hunted out parks in the last 15 months

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:occasion14::occasion14:Hey,I can't believe I brought a 16 month old thread back to the top,my bad.
Probably gone throiugh a couple machines since then,I know I would have.

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
The at pro and the at gold are no slouches in the depth department . If i was gonna up grade for depth alone . I would look at the fisher f75 Ltd or the cz3d. In reality i wouldn't look for an upgrade from the at detectors based on depth alone . If i wanted more depth i woukd just get a larger coil for the at or run in all metal. There are lots of reasons to upgrade from an at seris machine imo none of them are depth related. Gl HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread