Garrett AT Pro vs Fisher Gold Bug Pro..

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why are they comparing an all-purpose machine to a gold machine? The AT gold would have been a much better and "reasonable" comparison....

OP
OP
LuckyLarry

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a real good question Digger, and although I could be wrong, I'd bet it's because the original AT Pro was supposed to be a match-up to an MXT for all-around, although the MXT and the GMT, both were somewhat fair as Nugget machines anyway. Then later the GMT was supposed to replace the MXT, and the ATG replaced the ATP. Sometimes I just shake my head at a lot of stuff I see or read any more... I was a bit surprised at the video though. Also, like a lot of people, I get kinda' tired of companies using almost the same detector and then all they do is put a new badge on it instead of actually changing much about it at all..

One other thing; the guy who made the video is primarily a geode/meteorite hunter. That could be the main reason he matched them

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it will be common to find a 1998 $5 gold coin anywhere in the dirt as he stated in the video.

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The At gold is alot more machine than the pro for only about 100 bucks more money....

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me the choice would be between the AT gold and the F19 ltd.....the gold has its waterproofing but i love the adjustable tone break and backlight and single 9v operation on the Fisher....

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the coin laying on top of the ground I don't think that is a proper test.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He states in the video that the staples dont matter.....then remove them. I have dug gold with the ATP in actual hunting situations and it rang up solid. This video is just as pointless or more so than the countless air test videos. If the coin is on the surface I wont need a detector to find it. The atp tends to give a "blaring" audio response on surface targets....almost similar to vco on some machines. And if it had give a steady 65 on the target... what would you have figured it was?........A pulltab!!! Try a silver dime...it will lock on silver!

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not sure how to post Youtube videos on here but if you go to youtube and look at Detectorcomparisons video on gold coins buried 6 inches deep in the dirt you will
be surprised at what you see.

OP
OP
LuckyLarry

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Welgund, go to a youtube site. Find a video. Then left click and drag your mouse across the url up there to highlight it where it says TreasureNet, etc, etc. Get it all highlighted. Then right click on it and then click "copy." Then go back to where you left off here as you were writing a post. Then rt click and then left click "paste": This is what you wind up with, for example. Do the same thing for videos..

Ich sehe, dass Sie als Griff haben ein deutsches Wort, sprechen Sie Deutsch?

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/h...t-pro-vs-fisher-gold-bug-pro.html#post4434054

BTW, for what it's worth, I knew a man who found more good stuff than anyone else Ive ever met. He used an old Tesoro Golden Sabre, and never did use discrimination, it was always in all-metal..He actually lived off of his finds..

Last edited:

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hopefully this works for the video I was talking about.

OP
OP
LuckyLarry

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Welgund, you got the copy/paste thing done. But people are going to have fun with this one.

The author of the video is very partial to European machines because he is a shill for them. He sells them here Stateside. His "tests" are usually done in far less mineralized soils, to (absolutely zero) minerals, which favors the Deuce and other high gain metal detectors. He in short, thinks he has fooled a lot of people, but he's wrong because we old-timers are ahead of him. If he would include a Fisher 1270 or Tesoro Tejon, they also being high gain detectors, the two would beat the living bootstraps off of every one of his test detectors in the video, and so might a 1970 Fisher 440d or an old Garrett Deepseeker. . The video-maker won't do his tests in for example, Colorado, California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, or Idaho etc, because the soil is real nasty on the western half and it affects the machines dramatically, making some detectors as worthless as a dog bone for a cat. I know one place (for example) where not even a PI will work, they just warble at best, regardless of how much someone pays for the detector. I halfway expect a bashing on the video because there is no way to tell how each machine has been set, or to what values, and that makes a HUGE difference. There is no standard of settings at all with auto-tuned, auto threshold, base-tuned detectors, nor do auto-tunes behave universally the same in any soil anyway. :icon_thumright: The post will be of some value though, it's an entry-level learning tool.

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ATPro looked pretty good considering it is the cheapest machine tested. And about half the price of deuce. Videos like this and my own experience just contradict the claims of huge depth with the over priced deuce. I was surprised the etrac couldn't hit the small gold coin and that the T2 gave an iron signal. I would have liked to seen a Tesoro in the test.

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I own both the deus, at pro, tesoro vaquero and compadre. I thing all my machines could hit the gold coin here in where I live in colorado except the compadre and it might hit the bigger gold cojns

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm pretty sure I'd get an overload alarm if I rubbed the coil across a coin. He never sweeps past the coin for either detector, so it stays under the coil. Not really an indication of a search sweep.

I'm a Fisher fan but I'd call this test inconclusive.

And I agree with Fletch. There's about 0% chance of coming across a modern bullion strike in the soil.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing about any of the youtube "tests" is the many variables involved. Most are no more valuable or informative than an episode of "Diggers".

OP
OP
LuckyLarry

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Notice that the guy who calls himself "DetectorComparisons" does not show his settings. So how can there be any credible comparisons at all? And the next question is, is it realistic in any way to compare an F75 or an Explorer to a mid-range Garrett that doesn't even radiate as much power to begin with? Most people know for example, that if a collegiate shot-putter can put a shot consistently at 40 feet, and the World Champion can do it consistently at 60 feet, that the amateur isn't going to somehow miraculously and suddenly toss it 60 feet and beat the champ. Common sense plays a role in it all too.. Like I said, the guy is a shill, Have a look at all his other vids that show his bias toward the Eastern Block machines, and notice too that he primarily does the comparisons in mostly mineral free soils, or zero black sand salt beaches.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a question Larry....how do you know the make up of his soil? He states that the soil is mineralized at the start of video.....what makes you think different? And yes i do think you can compare an ATpro to a F75......as i have and yes, the fisher is more powerful, to powerful to run stable at any higher sensitivity settings. And my findings were, that the Garrett, at the end of the day, week, or year, was putting more good finds in my pouch! Not that the F75 sucks.....but i only use it at a few sites where emi is low and targets are deep. But now the AT gold has pretty much taken its place, as it is just about as deep in all-metal and runs much smoother with absolutely no emi issues! What i am saying is power output is just something that looks good on a T-net post or on paper....finds in my pouch are what matter to me. And also to update.....my newly upgraded F75 ltd shows no improvement on the emi problem. But the fast process is faster.....not sure if its 150 bucks faster though.

OP
OP
LuckyLarry

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
A few answers Digger. #1 the soil color. #2 its location where he challenged Bart to a match. #3 the lack of black sand (the DARK grey or black color). #4 the lack of hematite (red color). #4 the white silica soil . I've seen lots of his videos and the remarks really do fill in the blanks ABOUT LOCATION, so do the men's accents. Also many people know (exactly) where he does his comparisons. He haunts the East to SE coast and the Gulf where the mineral content is much lower than most other areas. As Keith Wills once told me, "there ain't any minerals in our soil here in Texas at all."

As for the F75, F70, and even the CZ's (most) people don't read the instructions so they drive the power (sensitivity) so far up that they actually hide targets by locating deep iron or lower soil strata (matrix) instead. I'll look for the engineering notes on this.

Here is where to start written by George Payne, but the following one about SENSITIVITY is good too; http://cleotusrus.tripod.com/Baron/payne.htm

Sensitivity
, as its name indicates, only determines the detector's ability to respond to the weakest electromagnetic fields generated by the conductive and ferromagnetic substances which may range from non-ferrous targets to clods of mineralized material in the ground (read more about Sensitivity on page 1 of my article - How To Search Around Cellar Holes Successfully). In other words, by increasing the Sensitivity level, you only instruct your metal detector to LET YOU HEAR more weak audio responses emitted by small and deep targets situated within the detector's actual DEPTH PENETRATION (see details in my article - "Detector's Depth Penetration & What Affects It").

In case of detecting with maximum Sensitivity on the high-mineralized ground, the detector is allowed to respond to the ground minerals, and the user hear lots of additional "noise" - the ground "clutter". Now the user hears anything but the small non-ferrous targets. Their weak responses, even when amplified by the 'Volume Gain", become masked by a mix of interferences such as the high-sensitivity circuit noise, iron falsing of any type including responses to partially rejected targets and, most of all, ground mineral effects including effects of natural magnetic mineralization - all being also INTENSIFIED

The biggest reason that people have trouble with CZ's for example, is because they crank the sensitivity up past 5, when it only hurts them, and causes GOOD targets to be masked. I have only found one RR spike with my CZ in the last 12 years, an no other nails at all. And it was so much better and deeper than my Ace 250 that I gave the ace to my Daughter. She now uses it as a door stop for her closet, and prefers the cheap Chinese made one I bought her because "it works better."

Agreed, the ATG is a much better detector..

And from here, and this gets FT users into more trouble and greater loss than anything else: ) I believe this is a Minelab Engineer's article

Using too much Sensitivity
intensifies not only the ground mineral interferences but also additional signals from nearby rejected targets - all mixing with the target signal, and the target signal strength gets degraded. If too much Sensitivity is implemented, the detector's circuitry is not able to separate the target's response from responses to other targets and, moreover, to the now amplified ground mineral noise. As a result, the detector's Detecting Range is greatly impaired: the detector's circuitry can not recognize a faint signal from a deep coin among the blend of high Sensitivity circuit noise and ground mineral effect.
You may want to read more about Sensitivity here - "Quieter Operation of A Metal Detector vs. Detecting More Deep Coins" (this article is included in the "Search Programs for Minelab FBS Metal Detectors" section), and on this page How To Search Around Cellar Holes Successfully, page 1.
You can regain the detector's decent Detecting Range by reducing Sensitivity to a level of the detector's stable performance. However, if the ground mineralization is very high, the stability level of Sensitivity may be too low which is not good either. Under such circumstances, your last resort is to replace the current search coil with a smaller one (see details on next page

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will agree with most of what you are saying about the use of sensitivity, but my fisher f75 is very chatty at anything above 60-65 just sitting there....And we do have some mineralized ground here in Virginia. The ground near Culpeper is awful making most VLF's useless or near it. The CZ that i owned loved rusty nails at deep depths and i ran around 5 on sense and even tried 4 for a while....maybe it just liked nails???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread