Reply to a PM that I received concerning the "CTX versus the Deus"

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The following question was emailed to me and my explanation was WAY to long to PM back. I have been asked this before, even though I head scratch a little because of the sheer number of times this has been asked. I can respect the question because I feel that both machines fill the higher end machine niche for a "multipurpose machine", even though I would also recommend the White's V3I, F75 or T2 even though I don't have as much experience with them.

I have 3 years with the CTX and 18+ months with the Deus. I don't consider myself and "expert", but I am fairly well versed in both machines. I know some folks will have a different opinion which I can respect, but I think my observations will be fairly close to everyone else's. Anyway, I hope this answer the question and may help someone considering both machines.

QUOTE:

I noticed you have a 3030, I just bought an E-trac for some reason, not really sure why, guess I wanted a new toy.....anyway my question is, since the 3030 and E-trac are somewhat similar from what I've read, what do like more or how does / under what circumstances / what specific sites (other than the salt beaches) does the Minelab get the nod over the Deus?[/QUOTE]

My reply:

I am going to try and lean toward the obscure technical end, versus the obvious such as weight.After reading this it probably is apparent that I like the CTX more than the Deus, but I think someone needs both for different reasons. If you are coming off of the Etrac, you will find the CTX speaks a very similar language, although you should like it much better. If you were going to keep the Etrac and you were sure you wanted the Deus at a later date, I would get the Deus first, but I always recommend to someone to get the highest end/most expensive machine up front rather than settle for less and spend more money in the long run later and then also feel they have to go back to their same "picked" places and pick it again. I believe in detecting a place once, perhaps twice at the most and move to another. Do it thorough and correct the first time. I think it always wise to swing a machine a few times and see if you like it first if you can. If you like the Etrac, I feel you will also like the CTX. I am actually on my second machine for both the CTX and Deus. The second CTX cause I got a good deal on a used CTX and second on the Deus simply because after 10 months of using it, I just didn't quite "click" with it. I decided to purchase another Deus after wanting a machine that I could easier carry and use when I was detecting mounds of back fill and I felt like I had "unfinished" business with the Deus. What helped me to click more with the Deus the second time was watching a lot of videos (XP website), going back to the basics rather than experimenting, and adjusting the settings on the "fly".

"Advantages" of the 3030 versus the XP Deus:

1. Deeper. I've routinely dug dimes in the 9" range. I dug a silver quarter past the Lesche handle. With the 17" coil, I've found coins at 12 inches.
2. Seems to "sniff" out higher conductive targets better (I am not sure why). Thus it seems to pick out silver in hard hit places better.
3. Readings are very accurate. You can pretty much take a readings chart and go off of that. For example, 90% of the time 12:42 in ferrous coin will always be a copper penny (I never adjust my settings so I am pretty sure it is in Ferrous-coin mode). Even if it hits for a few swings it will always be a copper penny. Silver will almost always read 12:44-12:46 (ALWAYS, dig anything in the 12:30 readings or higher or you will miss things)
4. The CTX is designed to find/read multiple targets at once.
5. Easier to adjust/read than the Deus. What I mean by adjust is the in the Deus you scroll through the menu and you cannot back up. Also some of the menus are a bit hidden and you have to know how to reach them. I feel most people could probably take the CTX and intuitively cycle through the settings much faster than the same person could do so in the Deus.
6. Waterproof and more rugged
7. Easier to find aftermarket accessories such as covers
8. Readings are more stable. The Deus' readings jump up a lot more.
9. The tones are easier for me to pick out from the Deus tones. The Deus tones (unless you change them) seems to sound all kind of high to me. I mostly just know the Deus' "language" when it is over a desirable target.
10. Very stable machine. I have owned 40+ machines, and gotten extensive use out of at least 12 and the CTX ranks as one of the best for stability.

"Disadvantages" of the CTX:

1. Obviously the weight, but it is well balanced.
2. Everything Minelab is expensive, especially with this machine.
3. The screen is hard to read in full light, but not anymore than the B & W display of the Deus. The V3I is tops when it comes to screen resolution of all the machines I have used.
4. Probably the most sensitive detector I have used. I have found some really small targets (under BB size) that sounded like a deep dime. This is good and bad. Good because you don't miss anything (if there are things that small that you desire to find), but a disadvantage because you can be fooled into digging that BB thinking it is a small coin.
5. The Deus seems to run neck and neck or better as a relic machine compared to the CTX. If I were to strictly relic hunt in an open area and I had to choose between the two machines, it would really be a toss up for me.

XP Deus "advantages":

1. Very fast and seems easier to adjust on the fly.
2. Seems to like lower conductors better. I have dug a ton of nickels with mine. It could simply be because I have a hard time telling high conductors from lower ones from this machine. I dig a lot more junk with the Deus BUT a lot more lower conductor "keepers" as well. Right after I got the Deus the second time, I went to a lot that I had hit 6-8 times with the CTX. In this lot I had found a silver spoon, two silver dimes (Mercury and Barber), my first "V" nickel and a few older Jefferson nickles. I was able to pull 3 targets that I had missed with the CTX; another "V" nickel, Buffalo and token. The spot was covered over and the 3 coins were 8-9 inches deep. I think that more than likely didn't get a real clear signal with the CTX and they were lower readings so I didn't dig. The same day I found a wheat penny spill at 7 inches that was missed by the CTX at another spot. Some could say that I walked past them, but I know swung the CTX coil over them and more than likely I had discriminated them out in my head because the CTX didn't sound as loud or as hard on them compared to the Deus.
3. The smaller coil is fairly deep for it's size.
4. You can carry the Deus discretely. I will walk down sidewalks sometimes in residential areas and it is a pleasure to carry tucked under my arm.
5. If earbuds are your thing, you can get the adapter and use it on the WS-4. Get a small pouch to carry the WS4 adapter in if you do this or you will scratch it in your pocket like I did next to my keys.

"Disadvantages" of the Deus:

1. BIG ONE: the XP Deus is the most unstable machine when it comes to EMI that I have used. The CTX is probably one of the most stable. It also seems to get feedback out of every brand of pinpointer that I have used. The Deus seems to run "hot" so it is by nature a little unstable to start with.
2. Fragile compared to most machines I have used. I have scratched mine up and the machine's parts are all glossy black. They need to make the finish in a flat black color in my opinion.
3. Difficult to determine the exact depth compared to most machines. Sometimes you cannot tell if a target is deep or just sounding deep because it is small. The "horseshoe" icon helps, but it is a far cry from a depth meter.
4. Compared the CTX, the Deus seems to need to be over the target more to sound. I have detected coins with the CTX that were not under the coil exactly. This can act as a strength to the Deus when it comes to getting close to metal buildings, fences, etc.
5. Not many aftermarket accessories in the US. If you research, more stuff is found in Europe for the Deus than in the US. Few months ago, I bought a nylon cover for the Deus from the UK. I spent almost $30 for it, but I could not find a cover that I could use with the Deus and still keep it attached to the machine. I tried about everything including the waterproof Iphone case, but nothing suited me. I wanted a stand to keep the Deus from rolling down slopes (this is another disadvantage) because the back of the coil is round and the "stand" behind the arm cuff is minuscule. I ended up making an excellent snap on stand from PVC to suit my own needs cause there wasn't anything available that I could find.
6. I've not had a problem with this because I don't water hunt, but the Deus will loose wireless connectivity when the coil is under water. The remedy is to PURCHASE and install the additional antenna.
7. This is another disadvantage for the aftermarket equipment side that I wanted to list separate from the rest. I have hearing damage which is unequal between one side and the other. I purchased the Grey Ghost XP headphones recently. In using the Grey Ghost XP headphones, you do not have separate volume controls outside of the XP headphone controls, so one side sounds lower to me than the other. Also, in adjusting the volume control, it is either too loud or it is too low and I cannot find the balance because the WS4 volume controls are limited. The headphones are also more muffled compared to what I normally use which are the Nugget Buster NDTs' with the 1/8" cord.
8. Really likes iron. Large iron or iron that is round will read in the 90s' and sound good. I can tell SOMETIMES the difference, but I will still come away with a lot of bottle caps and large washers.

-John

Last edited:

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice write up John, so say you were at an early 1800's house site, you would work around the foundation with the Deus then as you moved away from the foundation and all of the iron you'd grab the CTX?

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FOR ME (I say this because other's will swear by the Deus in iron) the CTX seems to work better cause I can watch my readings more closely even though I am getting all lower tones (iron) in trashy areas/sites. True, the Deus is remarkable with its speed and sensitivity.

I more use the Deus to pick those few things that the CTX misses; so I run about a 75/25 ratio with the CTX against the Deus. The Deus is great where there isn't a ton of trash or EMI. I also like it in open areas where you swing a lot faster and more.

Last month I was at this 1890s house (place where I got the wheat spill I mentioned earlier) and had the Deus, but I literally could not find anything with the Deus because I feel it was due to the nails and my using the GG XP headphones. Seemed like it was so bad that even when I got a high tone, I could barely pick it out. Seems there was a carpet of nails. I was finding a minimum of 3 nails per hole, every hole.

I did better with both machines closer to the sidewalk in the months before, but I think it was only because I was in a cleaner spot. I haven't taken the CTX to the same yard, but I am curious now on how much different it would perform. On the sidewalk I was able to find a silver Washington, 2 Mercury dimes and 2 Silver Rosys, and an Indian Head penny. With the Deus I was able to find a missed nickel and the wheat spill. Literally, all the signals were very short and usually not very solid signals and pretty much everything read lower. I think this was because of the nails. Late last year we detected the same sidewalk and I think because we were both in a hurry (my friend was using an Etrac and I was using the CTX) we missed almost everything. I was also using an open discrimination pattern with the CTX the second time and then toggling to discriminate to investigate signals (reverse discrimination). I would say running the CTX like this has increased my finds easily 10%.

To more directly answer your question, these are just my experience/thoughts. I still think that If I had just one machine either way, I would use/get the CTX. If I have them both, I would probably use the CTX first and go back on a second hunt with the Deus. Usually I detect a place with the CTX first with stock coil, go back with the Deus and then go back a third time with the CTX and work much slower and methodically listening to the deeper, less responsive sounds. Any spot that I can't get into with the CTX stock, coil I will take the elliptical Coil Tek coil and use. I will never say that a place is completely hunted out, but I've had friends go back over my with mid and upper level machines and not find anything after I hit a place 3-4 times (it has to produce to detect it more than once).

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Great information John. Thank you for the obvious time spent writing this. Hope you're a touch typist!

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again John - but............if you grab the Deus to find what the CTX missed, would that not make the Deus the "better" detector?

Here's how my short MD'ing carrier has gone with detectors, specifically at our property where my Great Grandparents once had a house, barn and a few other sheds, that I have hit at least 50 times (3 acre lot)....1st unit Ace 350, found most of my silver coins here with this machine, upgraded to ATP found more wheats and a few more silvers the 350 missed, upgraded to Deus, found a few more wheats, silvers and relics the other 2 missed......bought the etrac, found nothing the Deus missed. Not sure how the CTX would fair, maybe next year I will get one. Thanks again for your write up!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
.bought the etrac, found nothing the Deus missed. Not sure how the CTX would fair, maybe next year I will get one. Thanks again for your write up!

To be fair here, it sounds like you had scoured the property pretty thoroughly with 3 different detectors prior to picking up the ETrac. If it ain't there anymore, it ain't there.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes indeed, i have yet to take it back in the field where i found a 1876 seated quarter, its clean back there with no iron, hopefully the etrac will sniff something out.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very well put, Pointman. Both detectors are beyond my price range, but I enjoy reading your posts and the sharing of your knowledge/opinion. Very informative as well as professionally executed.

Good post.:icon_thumleft:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love reading head to head opinions on machines.. Because they really are just opinions. I have hunted places with my ATP and my buddy hunted with his etrac for years and even had times we wouldnt find a coin in a couple hours of hunting.. I go back a year later and pull a couple shallow silvers with the same machine right off the bat. The ground moves.. People dont realy go over every spot.

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a chance for every detector or for that matter a piece of equipment a day where it will outshine another. The next day it could be a reversal. The biggest "break" for me on the Deus is the EMI issues. Also I like the "longer sounds" of most machines, but the Deus is hard for me to get used to. If someone can tell me how to tune it out and make it smooth like the CTX runs, I will feel stupid after knocking the Deus for the EMI issues, but I cannot figure out how to make it run smoother sometimes.

This also leads me to my other reply concerning the question is the "Deus a better machine cause it will find things the CTX misses". I have to say IN MY EXPERIENCE, the CTX leaves very little if you scan in different directions and dig every tone. For me, the Deus has found things the CTX has missed, I think simply because my ears tunes out some sounds that the CTX makes in the current program. For example, I know today I probably missed some good relics and possibly coins with the CTX. Few times, I hit 12:20s through 12:30s loud and about coin size and above 4 inches and I didn't dig them. Chances are they are pieces of aluminum, but they could be a coin with a nail on top of it or even a lower reading Indian Head penny. With the Deus I have the tendency to dig more (also bring home more trash). Yes, I have found a nickel or two that the CTX missed but it could simply be because I go in with the Deus as a final clean-up and I work slower and dig more. My attitude during these times are to do a final clean-up. The mind, is everything when it comes to this hobby. I mean attitude, listening, how you physically feel, weight of the detector, ergonomics, everything affects how well you will do.

Feature wise (ruggedness, waterproof), tones and the lack of EMI problems makes me lean toward the CTX rather than the Deus. I will leave it with this: What is better than a CTX OR a XP Deus? Both machines used over the same spot.

Last edited:

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey John,
You gave valid points.
As you know I have both machines. And I like to think, I can make both stand up and dance!! Lol.
One thing I have to beg to differ with is the depth. If you know the deus, it will definitely I mean definitely go alot deeper than the CTX.
You will not get a VDI, but the audio will be clear as day.
Did side by side comparison on real targets. With the CTX all u get is a bump in audio, no tone, and thats with open screen, fer, coin, deep on..
The Deus will give you the right audio, real tone..
As far as stable the CTX is much better at that.
But if you have time, pm and I can tame down the EMI for you.
And if you need some help with going deep with it.
George

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Deus will find what the CTX misses. The CTX will find what the Deus mis-identifies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread