Vaquero and Omega 8000

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Took my Omega 8000 and Vaquero down to the area I hunt on a 1700's farm, plowed open field, dry dirt. Just want to give you my findings.

Omega 8000, 11"dd, ROCKS, I love this machine.. I had no problem with EMI. sure, it chatters slightly and I mean just slightly, but when you start swinging, even on very close to max sens, she quites right down. I find I get some great depth, for me any way. I was hitting targets down to,,,,, oh, 10 to 12 inches no problem.
I hit a good target at around 7 inches and did not dig. Marked it with my shovel and headed back to the car to swap to the Vaq.
Vaquero, standard coil, had no trouble hitting the target also. Dug, dime size flat metal button. Cool find.
Kept swinging the Vaq. hitting targets in the 6-8" mark with no troubles, pretty much bullets and a small round ball.??

My findings, the Omega hits the 10-12 inch mark and talks to you a bit more, giving me more info on whether to dig or not. The Vaq. hits targets down to the 8 inch mark but, in discriminate setting, won't tone unless good solid hit. All metal mode, depth about the same, and talks to you more. All in all good machine.
2 quality detectors that will stay in my stable.
Thanks for listening. Joe

Last edited:
OP
OP
JOe L

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
image.jpg The finds from today. Also allot of scrap metal which I just throw in my scrap bucket. Round ball to the left? Not big enough to be a musket ball. Around . Give or take, 3/8" dia.

Last edited:

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a Vaq and I am thinking about buying an Omega 8500. great story. thanks for sharing

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Omega 8000 all the way, make sure its the latest version or one of the latest. And i love Tesoros too by the way, however the Omega is a better machine especially now that the prices have dropped on the Omegas.

corpsman

Jul 7, 2015
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Had: Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Bandito 2 uMax, Tesoro Bandito 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've never used the omega 8000, but I've had a vaquero for years, and I think your findings on it are spot on. however, I've found that the depth can be greatly enhanced by "super tuning". Tesoro's are great machines, and that is all I would use for years. unfortunately, I think they've let the competition pass them by. they need to come out with newer more capable machines, instead of just changing the color and putting stickers with new names on them. anyway, good analysis.

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really believe that First Texas has the best " bang for the buck " detectors on the market. While Tesoro does make a couple TID machines, they don't have any at an entry-level price( Fisher F2, Teknetics Delta 4000). I think they are missing out on a big market there. Face it, people coming in to this hobby are more into TID machines than " beep and dig " ones. I am not bashing on Tesoro here, just making an observation. While tones should be the basis for learning any MD, YouTube has shown "wannabe " detectorists that TID is a big deal. I wish there were more videos on digging a proper plug or filling in in your holes for these detectorist "wannabes" to watch.
You really can't beat the price on an Omega 8000 right now with a stock 10" coil. I believe that with the $50 coupon code that has been floating around, you can buy it for $350 right now. That is some big " bang for the buck " right there.:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions