GPX or ATX??? Need Advice!!!

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have went back and forth for over a year on these machines. I don't want to spend the big bucks on a new machine to be unhappy or disappointed. I will not be using this machine for anything other than relic hunting so I don't care about performance on small gold. I know the GPX is deeper, but by how much? I like that the ATX is so simple to setup, is waterproof and just looks cool. But I know the GPX is a proven relic king in my area. And if the choice is GPX, which one? I don't need the 5000 I don't think....but what will I gain from the 4800 over the 4500? There is quiet a bit of price difference in these machines unless you compare the ATX to the 4500....but I will have to have a DOC's battery system so then the price goes up again on the Minelab. I just need some relic hunters to tell me their opinions on these machines. Keith at Fort Bedford has been a great help so far....I am just looking to get as much info as possible before I pull the trigger. The ATX is a tough machine to find much info on as far as relic hunting goes...??? Thanks to all!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will actually lose with the 4800 over the 4500 as far as "Response" inverted or normal.
There's no comparison to the GPX for deep relics in VA soil.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ATX will never compare to the GPX or GPZ machines - ever. :skullflag:

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hunt the Diggin N Virginia hunts and have used both machines. They both have their pros and cons. Bottom line is the GPX is deeper. About all I do is relic hunt as well. The ATX is waterproof which is nice if caught in the weather. They both are a little heavy but the ATX will wear you out at the end of the day over the GPX. Both machines work well in that hot soil. I took the ATX to Myrtle Beach this year and did pretty good. The large coil is hard to swing in the water when the waves are coming it but it is deep. Also you can get the SEF coils for the GPX. The ATX is limited on coils. Both are great machines but if you are looking for one over the other hands down it will be the GPX. Good luck. Just my two cents worth.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt the Diggin N Virginia hunts and have used both machines. They both have their pros and cons. Bottom line is the GPX is deeper. About all I do is relic hunt as well. The ATX is waterproof which is nice if caught in the weather. They both are a little heavy but the ATX will wear you out at the end of the day over the GPX. Both machines work well in that hot soil. I took the ATX to Myrtle Beach this year and did pretty good. The large coil is hard to swing in the water when the waves are coming it but it is deep. Also you can get the SEF coils for the GPX. The ATX is limited on coils. Both are great machines but if you are looking for one over the other hands down it will be the GPX. Good luck. Just my two cents worth.

I DIV, I have both machines and I agree 100% with what treasurehound said above. I recently picked up a GPX 4800 after using an ATX and sometimes the Deus at DIV with some success. The GPX was easier to swing (I also traded in an old detector to to pick up Doc's Gold Screamer pack which eliminates the need to wear the cumbersome battery/amplifier harness thingy making the detector fully self contained and perhaps easier to weatherproof - but the screamer pack is not cheap but I justified it to myself because its about the same as purchasing a spare OEM GPX battery/amplifier pack which I would have gotten because I don't need to have a $2.5K doorstop at DIV due to a battery issue - you can get away without it, though). Re the GPX: I like the continuous tones vs. the high-low and bargraph indications of the ATX, it starts up instantly whereas you have to wait for the ATX to do its auto frequency scan which takes a few minutes and I like that you can use the lighter SEF coils on the GPX. The ATX is a great and capable machine and I have kept it as a backup for foul weather conditions (plus my hunting buddies who use Whites TDI machines like to borrow it at DIVs so it doesn't just sit in the truck) and folds up nice an compact - but it IS a hog and I can't swing it all day. But having used both machines at DIV now, I am sold on the GPX.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
REALLY IMPORTANT!!!!! When you buy a GPX, or GPZ, make SURE your dealer includes hands on field training!!! You NEED training, and certified Minelab dealers should include a full day of field training with your new machine. I've personally watched guys show up on a field with brand new GPX 5000 machines and have no clue how to set them up. Don't be that guy. :skullflag:

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not have a look at a second hand GP 3500 or GPX 4000, They will go deep and if you are not looking for tiny Gold then they will go as deep and they can still use the 100s of coils that are made for the SD,GP, GPX machines,,, You don't need all them fancy Gold Timings for relic hunting so it becomes a waste of money to pay for what you are not going to use, ?

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ATX will never compare to the GPX or GPZ machines - ever. :skullflag:

Are you talking for gold prospecting or relic hunting? I ask because I have found the ATX holds its own against the GPX for relic hunting and the GPZ is not a relic machine. I do not prospect gold so cannot comment on that comparison.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not have a look at a second hand GP 3500 or GPX 4000, They will go deep and if you are not looking for tiny Gold then they will go as deep and they can still use the 100s of coils that are made for the SD,GP, GPX machines,,, You don't need all them fancy Gold Timings for relic hunting so it becomes a waste of money to pay for what you are not going to use, ?

In addition, lightly used GPX 4500/4800/5000's tend to show up for sale at deep discounts after DIVs because owner's see them collecting dust other than at a DIV so I would look into a lightly used machine if you can get the owner's paperwork because the warranty is transferable. Good luck.

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In addition, lightly used GPX 4500/4800/5000's tend to show up for sale at deep discounts after DIVs because owner's see them collecting dust other than at a DIV so I would look into a lightly used machine if you can get the owner's paperwork because the warranty is transferable. Good luck.

A few months back I bought one of the GP 3500 prototypes with less than 15 hours use in brand new condition and it has not been used since it was field tested which is still wrapped up in plastic.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread