Best coin shooter

Boog

Apr 30, 2007
E. Central Indiana
Probly go with the MXT, it'll do all you need and then some, good on batteries,balance ,near perfect, and can pick up used with still warranty on one, when you get older, you like the light weight and balance, and they work good :)
;D

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I'm putting my vote in for the CZ as well. I have a CZ7, and hunt with a buddy that uses a whites DFX. I come back with more coins almost every time. I did a lot of research before buying the CZ7 that I have, and I am completely satisfied with it (coming from a guy who is constantly wondering if the next thing might be a little better than mine). Not in the case of detectors. Unfortunately, they don't make it anymore...and folks don't part with them often (another sign that they're good). Look around for used ones. I got mine at a steal. I put a 12.5" coil on it and can really cover some ground and get outstanding depth with it.

The CZ seems to like rusty iron at first, but after a little experience you'll be able to tell the difference easily most of the time. And...usually when it says nickel, it means nickel.

Umm...if you're in my area, nevermind. I like being the only one swinging a fisher around here :D! (joking)

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Get a Minelab ..Sovereign... the best detector made stay away from the...Minelab Explorer... they are slow . And you spend more time fooling with them then you do hunting..==Jim==

OP
OP
gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well got a Garrett 1350, and I must say I am not all that happy with it.....My Ace 250 is every bit as good for what I use it for.........Now on the beach, or in high mineral soil may be a different story, but in the park, and the yards I still get the Ace out, and leave the 1350, and the Land Star in the trunk......I am really surprised that it does not do better for the amount of money paid............Oh well live, and learn...........

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gallileo60 said:
Well got a Garrett 1350, and I must say I am not all that happy with it.....My Ace 250 is every bit as good for what I use it for.........Now on the beach, or in high mineral soil may be a different story, but in the park, and the yards I still get the Ace out, and leave the 1350, and the Land Star in the trunk......I am really surprised that it does not do better for the amount of money paid............Oh well live, and learn...........

Best to just trade it in on something else rather than hang on to something you won't use or have confidence in. Consider trying one of the exterras. either the 50 or 70 with the 10.5" 7.5 Khz DD coil. That should get you down to the deeper older coins is they are there. The CZ's are real nice, I have owned 3 in the past but have since switched to the newer machines that allow a little faster sweep.

Tom

OP
OP
gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TomNWMI said:
gallileo60 said:

Best to just trade it in on something else rather than hang on to something you won't use or have confidence in. Consider trying one of the exterras. either the 50 or 70 with the 10.5" 7.5 Khz DD coil. That should get you down to the deeper older coins is they are there. The CZ's are real nice, I have owned 3 in the past but have since switched to the newer machines that allow a little faster sweep.

Tom

I will be honest, all the bells, and whistles are a bit much for me....I like to jump out of the car, and hunt right away.....I DO NOT beach hunt, so that is not a factor for me...The soil is pretty mild here on the Gulf Coast......I want depth, but I want simplicity........Thanks for the reply also.........Tom

Willy

Well, if you want plain ol' simplicity while still getting outstanding performance, you can't really go wrong with an MXT/M6. The M6 is even simpler to use than the MXT and will give the option of using tone ID too. They're both turn on & go detectors. ..Willy.

TXDIRTFISHER

Dec 11, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
F75LTD / Tejon
I've got a CZ-7 and I've had good luck with it. I can't say much about the other brands because this is the only MD I've ever had. I've found coins that were on edge/upright at 6", and today I found a bleeping pull tab at 8". I don't live on the Gulf Coast anymore, but when I did I spent a lot of time in the marsh and on the beach and I never had any issues in that environment with the CZ7. I'm thinking of buying an M6 or DFX to have another brand and try that out. I'm not sure that there are too many huge differences in brands with the exception of specialty detectors.

bavarianminister

Dec 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett GTA1000, GTAX550, ACE250, Fisher 1212, Minelab X-terra, Whites DFX
Stick with a name brand with good discrimination. Tesoro - Garrett - Fisher - you can't go wrong! Heck - buy more than one brand - it's more fun.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I'll chime in for the CZ one more time...

You mentioned liking to be able to turn on and go, and you want depth. That's the CZ70. No crazy programs, has the notch system like your ace 250, discriminates much better than the 250 and most other machines out there, volume control (the 250 doesn't have), 4 tone ID (more accurate disc with 4 tones separating targets allows you to have a much better idea of what you're swinging over), simple ground balance knob that only takes a second to balance (250 doesn't have ground balance), backlight (250 doesn't have), and in my opinion it is more comfortable to swing than the 250 although it is heavier...it is balanced better. It's also easy to pinpoint with, accurate depth meter, and one of the deepest machines you'll find. Also rain-proof.

I'm comparing to the 250 because that's what you like, although it's like comparing apples to oranges, the CZ70 has the things you like about the 250, but better, and a few more options most folks wish the 250 had. The CZ7 and &7a are the same as the 70, but only have 3 tones for ID instead of 4. I use the CZ7.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
heck I'm willing to get laughed at for saying this but the Ace 250 -- you want a penny at 8 inches--- I hit that with my ace 250 here in the wood chips at a tot lot in fernadina ,florida the other day --- nice solid hit too --- it was a older pre 82 real copper cent --of course not the zinc crap type ones (I hate those) -- for its cost , its a great lil coin grabber --- its light in weight (important for me -- I have copd and thus tire easy )-- but for those in better health it allows for longer hunts without getting tuckered and more time spent hunting equals more goodies most likely if you in the right spot --- it uses AA batteries --cheaper --- than 9 volts -- gets good "running" life from them too -- for most coins say up to 8 inchs in decent "inland" type soil the 250 can run with the bigger betters for the most part -- at a much easier on the wallet price --- while "usible" on the beach it is a bit limited and for rough"bad ground" areas where you need to be able to manually ground balance as with any of the less expensibve "fixed" GB type machines --your stuck with trying to lowering the sen / upping the disc and hoping --- but for less than $213 not too bad at all really -- yes the CZ 70 is better granted but at almost *4 times the price I would expect it to be --- Ivan

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How tight does the CZ70 pinpoint?

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
BamaBill said:
How tight does the CZ70 pinpoint?

Very tight on my CZ5- just guessing the 6's and 7's would be too.

I'm comfortable enough pinpointing with it that I don't bother feeling for the coin anymore with my probe. I know where the edge is, I just go to the side and flip it right up on shallow coins.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Me too, it pinpoints very tight for me. Even with the 12.5" coil, I can pinpoint to a 2" circle. On occasion, a coin on edge or odd shaped piece of metal pinpoints off a little, but that's with every detector. I can hit the coin with my knife if I want (and often do if it's a shallow coin...just to pop it out instead of cutting a plug).

I own the ace 250 and the CZ7. I know the 250 is a good little all around machine for beginners, but it doesn't even compare to the CZ. The CZ isn't the only good machine out there, but it's my choice machine. Too bad they quit making them. I wonder if the new F75 is as good. Anyone tried one? I see they don't have the lifetime warranty anymore.

I don't mean to push my favorite so much, I just like it. The detector that's best for me may not be the best for you. Something to consider anyway.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Willy said:
Well, if you want plain ol' simplicity while still getting outstanding performance, you can't really go wrong with an MXT/M6. The M6 is even simpler to use than the MXT and will give the option of using tone ID too. They're both turn on & go detectors. ..Willy.

With the $700 limit of the original post that's where I'd put my vote.

But for a bit more I gotta tell you I'm impressed with the coin shooting ability of my F-75; especially in trashy sites. That's where I put it to use 95% of the time and it shines.

Willy

Well, Fisher is coming out with that F70. Seems to be IMO a better detector for the money than the F75. It's priced to compete directly with the XTerra70 and MXT and, while not having ground tracking, does have pushbutton AGB. They also have that F5 coming out. I'm not a fanboy for Fisher or BH, but they ARE coming out with new detectors and they look to have some interesting features. ..Willy.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd like to see a feature comparison before I judge where the F-70 falls. It's hard for most of us to compare relative worth and value on a detector that hasn't been put on the market yet.

docbars

Oct 15, 2007
SOUTHEAST OHIO
Detector(s) used
V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'am a little partial to the CZ5 but any Fisher,Whites,Tesoro,or Minlab would do just fine. It's all about learning your machine.
good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread