Minelab Equinox located targets checked with Xp Deus multiple coils.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
QAlright I have been back to site.
Have done head to head on targets found by Minelab Equinox and cross check XP Deus and muliple coils.
My hunch was right.
Give me some time to put together.
I may post in thread here, but will have to keep adding for fear of losing data.
Here I am at the site.
2s92fys.jpg

Alright before I start adding data here I need to say a few things.
It rained last night and this morning probably around an inch since my visit to this same site as yesterday,

I sure don't wan to mislead folks and I indeed may have. I stated I had hunted this site previously using Deus with LF coils and HF coils, but I need to clarify. Hunting in this site (with HF coils) was limited using the highest bands frequency wise using both of the HF coils. This site was predominantly hunted using the middle frequency band of 28.8khz previously.

Every target today was located using Equinox and 11" DD coil using field 2 detect mode, factory mode disc, sens at 24, iron bias at 0. Targets today were located using speed levels 6 and 7.

There were never 2 detectors turned on at the same time. When one detector was being used all others were OFF. My side by side and all other detectors not being used at the time were around 50 ft from actual spots were targets were located using Equinox.

The comparison test done, not done to make any one detector inferior or demean.

Xp Deus when LF coils were used (both 9" and 11") the highest frequency band only was used (17.xxxkhz)
When HF coils (9" round and 5x10" elliptical) were used, I compared using 28.8 kHz and each coils respective highest band freq wise-there was one exception and I will mention it later.

All detectors used today were ground balanced to actual ground.
Winds were light when I was in the site. Back phones wore with Deus with audio response 5 setting and a volume level 6 in the headphones. Wireless headphones used with Equinox.

All the detectors used today bought personally by me, I have no connection currently with Xp or Minelab other than the fact I own equipment they manufacture. And have had no formal or semi formal connection with either in the past period.

Next comes the pics of each nonferrous targets found and compared. One ferrous target was located and dug using Equinox.
A clad dime will be placed in each pic with each nonferrous object to give the object scale.
I should remind folks yesterday when at the site I did dig nonferrous smaller, about the same size and a little big than a clad dime.
After I post what I am about to post,, I encourage all to go back re read want I posted yesterday as far as what I saw and heard using Equinox in this very same site.

The nonferrous targets located today, what I was really wanting was to find some targets that gave no dig me or tone when using single freq on Equinox (15khz. 20khz and 40khz).
I did find some, but some did sound off using some single freqs on Equinox. I will detail each nonferrous find as far as what exactly happened.
I wished I would have done comparisons yesterday on what I found using Equinox in this site. Would have been easier and less time consuming.

Here is pic of all targets. Rain moved in on me so this is what I got today.
A total of 7 nonferrous targets and one ferrous target.

14mrqlk.jpg

Here is pic of first nonferrous item located with Equinox.
w9bsz9.jpg

Seems to be made of lead.
Equinox using multi freqs gave good signal.
Looking at the target before digging, use of 20khz and 40khz mandatory for good signal using singe freq ops.

Deus wearing 11" LF coil could see this target 18"kHz hot program 3 reactivity. After I saw this I ceased any further testing using any other Deus /coil combo for comparing.

Next item found with Equinox- a small button.
25hic9k.jpg

This item gave very good signal using Equinox using multi freq, sweeping using single freqs of 15, 20 and 40 kHz yielded nothing to alert me to button.

Deus using both 9" and 11" LF coils using highest freq band no detection. Tried all reactivity settings 2-5. Silencer was at -1 at all times. Checked using full tones 0 disc, disc level. 2 and disc level 6. Even tried pitch tone disc 6.

Deus wearing round HF coil checking button using 28.8khz and 54kh using hot program with reactivity settings of between 2-5, no signal, silencer at -1 at all times. Sens varied between 86-92.

Deus wearing elliptical HF coil, sweeping button using 28.8khz with reactivity levels between 2-5, no signal.
Sweeping button using 74khz a signal was acquired with reactivity level 3 only.

Next time located with Equinox- a small round button
153qik1.jpg

This button gave very good signal on Equinox using multi freq. sweeping using 15kha, 20khz and 40khz yielded nothing tonally to alert me to button.
Using Deus both LF coils yielded nothing tonally alerting me to the button.
Used 18khz hot program reactivity levels 2-5. Silencer at -1 at all times. Even checked with TX power at level 1.

Deus wearing round HF coil.
The only detection I got was using 54khz reactivity levels 3 and 4.
Use of 28.8 kHz yielded nothing alerting me to button.

Deus wearing elliptical HF coil.
No signal,ever gotten using both 28.8 kHz or 74khz. Tried reactivity levels 2-5 silencer at both 0 and -1.

Next time found using Equinox- unsure of its composition.
309jvoh.jpg

This item gave good signal using Equinox, I could walk practically all the way around it sweeping getting a good signal-using multi freq.
Using single freq ops of 15khz, 20, and 40 kHz, use of 20 kh was borderline signal, use of 40khz a pretty good diggable signal.

I first swept this suspect area with Deus using 11" LF coil,
It did detect this object, but what was shocking was how narrow angular wise I could be around target and get a hit. Extremely narrow. Use of 9" LF coil did somewhat better than. 11" LF coil as far as a angular approach allowed to sweep and detect, but nowhere as good as the Equinox in Mulit freq.

I did check with round HF coil, a little better results (anguslr approach) vs 9" LF coil.
The elliptical coil HF I didn't use to check this target.

Here is pic of next item found with Equinox- round piece of lead.
zna06t.jpg

This item gave a good signal with Equinox using multi freq.
Single freq ops sweeping using 15,20 and 40 kHz yielded nothing alerted me to piece of lead.

Both Deus LF coils failed to detect- used hot program only multiple settings.
Round HF coil failed to detect- used hot program.only using multiple settings.
HF elliptical did detect, but highest freq band had to be employed.

Next object found using Equinox- one of the little studs like on a saddle, checked with magnet totally nonferrous.
2v17nlz.jpg

This object gave a good signal using Equinox and multi freq. use of single freq ops using 15, 20 and 40khz yielded nothing tonally alerting me to this target.

This object could never be detected using Deus any of the LF coils or any of the HF coils period. Hot program used, various settings and freqs tried.

This next pic last nonferrous object located using Equinox. May be part of 22 cal rim fire bullet.
2nbc314.jpg

This object gave good signal using Equinox using Mulit freq. Using single freq ops of 15,20 and 40khz yielded nothing to alert me to this object.

All Deus coils I had with me today failed to detect this object. Hot program used on all. Multiple settings and freqs tried.

The only ferrous I located (by accident) lol, it sounded pretty good with 13 in the meter.
Nail,was around 8.5" deep.
2jg8dux.jpg

Checked using all Deus coils I have, none of them told me to dig this nail.

To conclude here.
If folks will notice there is a pattern. And remember yesterday all the nonferrous I dig out of this site, if I remember correctly, all signals had by Equinox yesterday using Multi freq all but 2 gave nothing tonally alerting me to the nonferrous targets when sweeping using 15, 20 and 40 kHz. So we will never know whixh Deus coil would have gotten signals on those when doing head to head. I can draw a conclusion and get close though I think based on what I Saw today.

Equinox is a very powerful detector (wide ranging) in its actual capabilities.
I hope folks enjoy this data and maybe it will help answer question for folks.
This here doing is work. Can be fun.
Nothing I want to do everyday though.
Cheers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tnss
Thanks for all the work,and the very useful info,you did a great job...you also type very fast .
Gary

You are quite welcome.

I don't do too bad for IPad mini and thumbs.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TNSS,

Couple of questions.

1. Were you pulling these targets out from amongst iron?

2. We're you using primarily 0 Disc and Full tones or did you cut-in disc, iron Volume, and pitch or multitones?

OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TNSS,

Couple of questions.

1. Were you pulling these targets out from amongst iron?

2. We're you using primarily 0 Disc and Full tones or did you cut-in disc, iron Volume, and pitch or multitones?

The targets where I say I checked with Deus and a particular coil.
Hot program used on all Deus units/coil combos.
Disc 0 full tones was checked .
Disc 2 full tones was checked
Disc 3 full tones was checked.
Disc 6 full tones was checked
Disc 6 pitch tone was checked.
Using LF coils tx power 1 was used to checked plus tx power 2

This site where I was is right near where courthouse sat back in late 1700s to 1817.
I don't know what happened to court house and when.
This area a hot spot during late 1700s and early 1800s.
Jail sit in front of my side by side and off to the right.
Yeah there's iron in there alright. Bricks, you name it.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. Very thorough testing.

the lama

Greenie
Mar 19, 2017
Detector(s) used
at pro,cz21,infinium,ace 350,f2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks i really appreciate your hard detailed work and fact you dont seem to have an agenda

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detector companies... start taking notes. These are the type of features and testing that SELLS detectors.

In the Information Age cute photoshop pictures are nice by solid data always stumps BS .

Thanx for doing this test so thoroughly from day one.

I certainly appreciate it.

CCDD1D8F-8724-4CD2-AB26-2424031F0036.jpeg

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TNSS, I am impressed by the time and effort you put into that, really am.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wyohunter99, I haven't seen anybody do that or hot ground yet. And the HF coil needs to be used also. Most of us with the Deus have gone to the HF coils because they suck small stuff out of the ground. Would be a good set of tests to do. There's some nasty red ground from VA through GA.

OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far it seems if a target is discovered using Equinox using Mulit freq and a target is checked using single freq (all) on Equinox and no signal is had. Deus and low freq coils fail to detect. And using Deus with HF coils use of freq 14.4khz and 28.8khz fail to detect.
Using the highest bands using both HF coils on Deus. It can be hit and miss, one HF coil may see, the other not. Or vice versa. Or sometimes both HF coils sometimes will not see.

But I can only run one detector and coil at a time detecting.
So what I am seeing shows Equinox for one coil detector using multi freq is very wide ranging in its capabilities to detect nonferrous buried undisturbed.

Now to be PERFECTLY clear here. The things I talk about above goes for Equinox located targets using multi frequency,,meaning for example could a Deus signal on a nonferrous target using even LF coil and Equinox fails to detect?
I am almost 100% sure using the 9" LF coil this would happen.
Bottom line here, I have not done any testing to prove one way or the other.

Last edited:

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I haven`t got a HF coil yet for my Deus been very impressed with it wearing a LF 11" ...the Equinox 600 might be better idea .
Plenty of time to see 18 inches of snow here today .
Gary

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven`t got a HF coil yet for my Deus been very impressed with it wearing a LF 11" ...the Equinox 600 might be better idea .
Plenty of time to see 18 inches of snow here today .
Gary

Hang in there Gary. No snow, but we're getting blown off the map.

600 is a very capable detector.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you so much for providing this detailed testing and distribution of the results! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright more data.

Back to site, one of my proving grounds sites.
Mineralization strength meter using Deus 6 ticks.
Very old site. Nail and iron density I rate as moderate.
I located 24 nonferrous targets using Equinox using field 2 program, disc backed off 2 marks from factory, speed 7, 0 iron bias, Mulit freq.
This area previously pounded by Minelab CTX stock coil multiple times, Minelab Etrac 10x12 sef coil multiple tiems, Xp Deus both 9 and 11" LF coils as well as both HF coils for Deus.
Using HF coils use of highest freq bands very limited. Use of HF coils freq of 28.8 kHz is what 95% plus of the time spent in this site.
Limited use of other detector models with both stock sized coils as well as smaller coils.

After locating all targets, they were checked/compared using Deus both 9 and 11" coils, and both the elliptical and round HF coils.
Only freqs of 12 and 18khz used to check using Deus LF coils.
All freqs bands used to check targets using both Deus HF coils.
Minelab Etrac witth stock coil was used to check 2 targets, these happened to be the 2 highest Equinox located meter reading targets.

This area when I got my HF coils for Deus is actually (all previous hunts combined using all detectors in my possession over the last 6.5 years at the time, netted 8 finds) when the most nonferrous finds were discovered. A total of 20 for both HF Deus coils plus the 8 found previously using other detector and deus LF coils. This all previous to hunting with Equinox,
Only one coin was ever detected by me in this area prior, a Spanish 1 bit located and recovered with Minelab CTX and stock coil around 5 years ago.

Today using the Nox I located and recovered my second coin ever, a dad gum wheat head penny.

Okay as far as the 24 nonferrous targets.
Etrac was used to check 2 targets.
I used any and all huntable settings that I could think of to detect the targets.
No cigar with either target.
One of the targets was in fact the buried undisturbed wheat head penny.
The other a flat button.

Now the Deus comparisons.
Using both 9" and 11" LF coils using deep and hot programs with various settings, any and all what I would declare as useable / huntable.
Only one out of the 24 located nonferrous gave me anything remote signal wise to dig, and this was using 9" LF coil.

Now for the elliptical coil comparisons- used any and all useable/ huntable settings.
One target using 14.4 kHz using elliptical HF coil reported as diggable signal.
One target using both HF coils reported a dig me signal using 28.8 kHz.

Of the 22 remaining targets.
HF elliptical coil hit on 9 of them using 74 kHz.
Round HF coil hit on 3 of them using 54khz.

Only 2 of the same targets did both HF coils hit using their respective highest freq bands.

There were 20 nonferrous Equinox located target that didn't provide diggable signal period when using round HF coil ( any and all usable/huntable settings).
Thee were 13 nonferrous Equinox located targets that didn't provide diggable signal period when using elliptical HF coil (any and all useable/ huntable settings).

I was fooled on 3 suspect targets- turned out to be iron,
Deus LF coils didn't alert on any of these as nonferrous.
Round HF coil alerted on one of these- as nonferrous sounding.
Elliptical HF coil alerted on one of them- as nonferrous sounding.

I climbed another rung today on the Equinox ladder. I dug some of the least textbook signals I had ever done previously. One object turned out to be the wheat head penny, another a real small thimble, and a few thin small flat buttons.

Equinox gives info, person just has to decipher. I can now say, some crippled targets (not all) will give lower that airtest mete readings.
Equinox IMO is a Top notched VLF relic unit.
I will even go as far to say.
In my soil, an old site ain't purged of all detectable nonferrous until the mighty Nox goes in there.
Amazing to see the stock sized coil do its thing at sniffing out nonferrous.

My next mission with Equinox, is to go back and use the disc I used today using field 2 mode, and locate some targets I feel are tremendously crippled, and adjust disc back to factory level setting and have a listen.

Forgot to say, when looking at and air testing all targets for the most part in this site,,and one other area. Deus HF coils using 28.8 kHz, seems they have trouble alerting on targets (odds wise) that actually ID as 10 or less in Equinox meter. Now using HF coils and using highest bands, both HF coils hit and miss, but edge goes to elliptical HF coil.
Now saying all this, remember what the gold $1 US coin IDs as on Equinox.

NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes..... Type-1, 2 & 3 U.S. Gold Dollars ID as a
>10/11 in an air-test.......and in most soils.,.,.,.
> ,.,.,.,. even tilted. "On edge"...... and ID's can
> be much lower..... to include 'no detection'.
>
> U.S. 3-Cent Nickels ID as 7-8....... under most no
> rmal conditions.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread