Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the shoutout! :thumbsup: Equinox is indeed a great metal finder and kudos to you for taking the time to learn it. You Dorian area folks stay safe!!!

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you seriously thought the garrett AT series was better, but a stranger on the Internet said that the equinox was better. It would behoove you to agree anonymously on the Internet but the equinox is better. If you actually thought the Garrett machine was better, then I wouldn’t want anyone else to own one, and I would be saying,” yeah, pick up an equinox“

I am not a self-proclaimed expert, but I Metal detecting like it’s a part-time job. I have owned two Garrett machines, and one mine lab equinox. I would say they are similar, but how is it controversial to make the proclamation, with evidence, that the equinox is simply better at picking up smaller deeper targets??

Mr. digger makes it very clear that this is his opinion. And then he backs it up with all his evidence, and all his labors of love for the hobby and the community.

Mr. digger is never disparaging to Garrett, or their products. He is simply pointing out that at a similar price point you can achieve different levels of functionality. The video is most helpful to Garrett fans. Yeah Garrett fans seem to be the most pissed off. Maybe I am not detecting sarcasm in people’s posts, or I’m reading into things incorrectly. But regardless of what machine we use, we all owe the original poster a big ‘thank you’

Why in the heck aren’t the metal detecting manufacturers creating wonderful test gardens like this, with adjacent iron, and a variety of early American signals. I would be burying even deeper signals, saturating the ground with freshwater, trying to mimic scenarios that I hunt In. If Garrett showed some initiative, or wanted to make their machine shine, they could show you the scenarios where their machine does great. And guess what, there are many scenarios where the machine does excellent.

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dorian is a monster. Please make a donation to your favorite hurricane relief place if at all possible. I will.

The Delaware coast should be ok, UNLESS they are wrong and it moves farther inland, in which case the trip there will be delayed. I haven't been there since March.

Too many places, not enough time.

This! If one feels they are not in a position to donate cash - and many of us have been in that position at one time or another, please consider a donation of life-saving blood. Not bragging about it but I have donated blood approximately every 10 weeks since 1975 and sometimes in between regular blood donations during tragedies. I consider it my duty. When you feel helpless in the face of tragedies, this is something that most of us can do to make a difference and feel good about doing it.

And you could talk up your favorite detector brand or model while waiting to give blood or during the donation! (there - now post is on thread topic...)

Last edited:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
A person doesn't have to own both machines to realize that the way calabash swings the at pro is not the way anyone swings a metal detector and is clearly a biased video. Re-do the video, SLOW DOWN when swinging over the iron and start with the coil on the ground, not up in the air. Swing the AT coil in the opposite direction, like you did the EQ, as well. A proper comparison will still show the strengths of the EQ over the at pro but it won't show you are intentionally bashing the Garrett.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, please go fast as a rascally wabbit being chased by a coyote! It will leave more for me. Like one guy with a Nox did today! I had so much in my pouch (including sinkers which are getting expensive), it almost took my pants down! I lost weight since the winter. I'll post it after the happy nap. Guys just go play and have fun.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, please go fast as a rascally wabbit being chased by a coyote! It will leave more for me. Like one guy with a Nox did today! I had so much in my pouch (including sinkers which are getting expensive), it almost took my pants down! I lost weight since the winter. I'll post it after the happy nap. Guys just go play and have fun.

You may have even more sinkers than I do! I wish there was some way to trade sinkers for permissions! Thanks for the reminder to get some suspenders before hunting DE all day (have a wedding to attend saturday so that day is out...)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got about 20 today. Many more coins than sinkers today, and I got spiderman! IMG_0748.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A person doesn't have to own both machines to realize that the way calabash swings the at pro is not the way anyone swings a metal detector and is clearly a biased video. Re-do the video, SLOW DOWN when swinging over the iron and start with the coil on the ground, not up in the air. Swing the AT coil in the opposite direction, like you did the EQ, as well. A proper comparison will still show the strengths of the EQ over the at pro but it won't show you are intentionally bashing the Garrett.

Which detector from the video would give you the best odds on picking up a masked target on the first pass???

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a proud owner of several detectors that calabash repeatedly bashes.
I also refuse to watch videos that has commenting turned off.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ROFL, I'm not interested in either machine. My cat told me I had to use all my money on cat food and toys.

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Garrett does excel at is advertising skills and hiring shills on youtube. Some of the big names on youtube ran an XP Deus, T2 or E trac before they sold their soul to Garrett.

I owned an AT in the past and it is my opinion is that the AT is a solid, average detector that is good enough for 90% of the consumers out there.

I am in the other group..... the 10% that don't want a "good enough" detector.

I hunt often, it's my main hobby. I drive hours to sites, often taking multi day trips. I land hunt, wade and hookah dive. I want to try to maximize my chances when hunting.

I don't want to miss targets next to trash or lose a inch or 2 in depth.

I think that either the XP Deus or Equinox individually are a considerably better choice then a AT...... and as a combo..... they just cant be beat, at least in my area.

I appreciate the time and effort CD puts into making his vids. Test gardens may not be perfect and your swing might be different, but I agree with Calabash, then post a video of a AT repeatedly kicking butt on a Equinox or Deus.

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other

Smokey, how do you sell lead sinkers. I hunt a river where I could have all the lead I want. But I didnt think they were worth anything

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent a big box to my daughter who has a scrap yard a couple block from her house. She sold them there. Now I have a bunch more and I may recast them into lead rounds to sell on the net - or go fishing, I'm not sure. yet.

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What Garrett does excel at is advertising skills and hiring shills on youtube. Some of the big names on youtube ran an XP Deus, T2 or E trac before they sold their soul to Garrett.

I totally agree. While the AT series machines were legends in their own time, they are now old news. I've stopped watching many of my favorite detectorists on Youtube as there is absolutely no machine variation to keep things interesting. They all run AT's anymore, and frankly, it's tiring and a bit pathetic that so many have sold out.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with these tests totally. The only thing I don't understand is the point? Or why anyone is surprised. It would be like car and driver testing a 2010 mustang vs a 2018 Corvette, for example.....then beating home the fact that the newer model out performs.

I've hunted beside AT pro's and TBH they just don't impress me.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say anyone as confident and sure they have the best machine would have no problem invite everyone down for a few hunts...using inferior machines of course.

And I think most of us here have learned in life there is Always someone better, no matter the circumstances or machine.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya Smokey love my Nox but like a car some people like minivan or a inexpensive car easy to use good on gas all the operator I know many people who own expensive cars and cant drive em or have the Corvette but the drive shaft is wobbly the tires are out of balance and the windows leak Calibash knows his machines and how to use em bet he doesn't use the nox in iron or water the XP he uses different machines different uses. Tons of gold silver and banner finds posted with Garrets. I would rather have a reliable car then one the breaks down a lot.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To spend thousands of hours for nothing to promote one machine and get nothing out of it ???? your time your dime!!!! thats a little creepy, Air tests are totally worthless unless you detect through air not dirt and to do that to compare one machine to the other. I have the EQ 800 with the big ice cream cone control box that leaks on alot of people, and sucks in water its good on coins and iron not many people hunt in iron or want to but if you do than ho rah. Many people I could ask how to change tone pitch in 5 tone and dont have a clue about any functions or features of their machine or even haved used both machines you could drive a vette but if you dont know how to drive it Ill smoke you in a pinto. A treasure hunter has many tools if you just choose to use one. than more for me. We hunt in ground with high mineralization , some hunt in areas with high iron content an air test really!!!!!!lol The 800 is a great machine but the At is also I dont want to dig 1 ft down or more for a clad dime. The At can Id pop tops much better than the 800s solid signal with not waver, no roll tone. Different machines for different people just like cars, If you have a vette and dont know at what rpm to shift,or or how to take corners, or when to let off when you get squirrley then you wasted all that money on a car, and all the features that are useless because you dont know how to use them but you can stand on top of a building Vettes rule, yet you dont even know how to drive it. Then just Park it 1 or 2 ........like driving the vette in first or second gear all the time if you dont know how to use all those features you paid for then you wasted your money on them cause they are useless. lol

Tommy, sometimes having a Corvette just isn't for you! I saw a guy with a brand new one pulling it off the road. BRAND NEW and DOA! He blew the transmission the first week he had it.

Most of the time success is due to the operator. I won't watch an air test. They are useless.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread