AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250i Nel Hunter
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do i still consider Garrett ?? could an AT max or pro cut it ? i see all the youtube reviews with the new tech... but in reality the old die hards use the ATs,, there is a reason, i would presume...

OP
OP
Coin-Digger

Coin-Digger

Sep 18, 2019
Alabama
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/ Whites MX-Sport/ Minelab X-Terra 505/ Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why do i still consider Garrett ?? could an AT max or pro cut it ? i see all the youtube reviews with the new tech... but in reality the old die hards use the ATs,, there is a reason, i would presume...

I see nothing wrong with it at all!

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those of you considering the ORX there are a few things you should be aware of (I love mine and after a somewhat lengthy search of trial and error I now have a machine I trust)
1. The control box is not waterproof (you can't even get it wet) - Just so you know you will need a case or bag to protect it in the rain. They do sell an underwater kit if you plan to have the coil submerged it won't communicate without the add-on kit
2. No notching - This should really be fix in an update IMO. If you want to notch out a specific VDI number or range you can't - You can notch up to a number though. So I will notch up to 40 just to knock out most of the iron at parks.
3. Charging - You will be charging the coil, headphones, control box, and MI6 pin pointer. Not a big deal to me just make it part of your routine. The headphones die first so pack a backup pair with 1/4 jack because the internal speaker has no volume control and is loud. It is nice to not need batteries for a pin pointer anymore and the locate lost pin pointer feature has already worked for me.
4. Pinpoint button - This is a personal preference but the button is small and there is a little delay turning it on and I never use it. So if your really buying for that feature you might want to try a deus out first. I personally don't mind because I don't pinpoint anyway the target will be at the front of the coil on the XP logo 90% of the time if you wiggle the coil back. (I do need to experiment more with the pinpoint feature to discriminate trash)

My only real issue is the waterproofing the control box is a big negative so I carry a few ziplock bags in case it starts to rain. The ORX is just a simple machine you turn it one pair your headphones select deus fast and go. You don't have to think about settings much and you can focus all your time on hunting. It is so fast and light you will have a hard time going back to anything heavier or slower. The 9" HF coil is an interesting coil that almost mimics the best of small and large coils in that you have excellent separation and depth, with the only sacrifice being coverage.

* Bonus - I have heard some people say you dig a lot of bottle caps with the DEUS and this in my experience has been somewhat true but no more than most machines.
I can tell a bottle cap from the iron grunt using the wiggle method about 80% of the time at a depth of 3 to 4" in my Indiana soil (not the beach?)
I still dig deep rusty bottle caps though and I am perfectly ok with it you never know when it might be a quarter next to a rusty nail.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the Deus and just got the ORX. Not sure why? My wife has started accompanying me on beach hunts and I thought it would be perfect for her to have a lightweight detector should could enjoy using.
The ORX is lightning fast and super easy to use. I love the XP products.

OP
OP
Coin-Digger

Coin-Digger

Sep 18, 2019
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For those of you considering the ORX there are a few things you should be aware of (I love mine and after a somewhat lengthy search of trial and error I now have a machine I trust)
1. The control box is not waterproof (you can't even get it wet) - Just so you know you will need a case or bag to protect it in the rain. They do sell an underwater kit if you plan to have the coil submerged it won't communicate without the add-on kit
2. No notching - This should really be fix in an update IMO. If you want to notch out a specific VDI number or range you can't - You can notch up to a number though. So I will notch up to 40 just to knock out most of the iron at parks.
3. Charging - You will be charging the coil, headphones, control box, and MI6 pin pointer. Not a big deal to me just make it part of your routine. The headphones die first so pack a backup pair with 1/4 jack because the internal speaker has no volume control and is loud. It is nice to not need batteries for a pin pointer anymore and the locate lost pin pointer feature has already worked for me.
4. Pinpoint button - This is a personal preference but the button is small and there is a little delay turning it on and I never use it. So if your really buying for that feature you might want to try a deus out first. I personally don't mind because I don't pinpoint anyway the target will be at the front of the coil on the XP logo 90% of the time if you wiggle the coil back. (I do need to experiment more with the pinpoint feature to discriminate trash)

My only real issue is the waterproofing the control box is a big negative so I carry a few ziplock bags in case it starts to rain. The ORX is just a simple machine you turn it one pair your headphones select deus fast and go. You don't have to think about settings much and you can focus all your time on hunting. It is so fast and light you will have a hard time going back to anything heavier or slower. The 9" HF coil is an interesting coil that almost mimics the best of small and large coils in that you have excellent separation and depth, with the only sacrifice being coverage.

* Bonus - I have heard some people say you dig a lot of bottle caps with the DEUS and this in my experience has been somewhat true but no more than most machines.
I can tell a bottle cap from the iron grunt using the wiggle method about 80% of the time at a depth of 3 to 4" in my Indiana soil (not the beach?)
I still dig deep rusty bottle caps though and I am perfectly ok with it you never know when it might be a quarter next to a rusty nail.

Thanks! That’s some good advice! I keep leaning toward the ORX! Yeah it doesn’t have many bells and whistles as the Deus, but from what I’ve read and seen, it hold its own!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure the bells and whistles are worth much. I set my Deus on Deus fast, tracking balance, and most of the time 74khz, which is higher than any other manufacturer has, as far as I know. I understand the lower frequencies are supposed to hit harder on some items, but I get good targets 10" or more down. I always tell folks to get to a dealer to "test drive" a machine if at all possible before they buy one.

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took the plunge and went for an Equinox 600, having formed the opinion that the 800 is basically the same but with more specialized 'gold' functions, which i don't really need.. Will be delivered next week.
Excited now.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I took the plunge and went for an Equinox 600, having formed the opinion that the 800 is basically the same but with more specialized 'gold' functions, which i don't really need.. Will be delivered next week.
Excited now.

Good choice.
I live in Birmingham, we have the mineralized SE red clay and healing helpings of extra iron from microscopic up to huge.
Plus tons of trash.
The Nox is getting deeper here more accurately than most anything I have tried before and its ability to find masked targets is...remarkable.

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good choice.
I live in Birmingham, we have the mineralized SE red clay and healing helpings of extra iron from microscopic up to huge.
Plus tons of trash.
The Nox is getting deeper here more accurately than most anything I have tried before and its ability to find masked targets is...remarkable.

Hopefully the Nox will sort that out for me, we too have clay here, and some pretty mineralised areas. Summer it bakes dry and is practically un-diggable, winter we get some solid frost, and in the wet it is like a wet cement that coats everything in several inches of the heaviest dirt on earth... I really only have about two months a year when i can dig ...:laughing9:

OP
OP
Coin-Digger

Coin-Digger

Sep 18, 2019
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
XP Deus on the way! Can’t wait to try it out!

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should have bought the MXT as the MX sport isn't the MXT for sure, if you put in the time the V3i can make any change you want but you must know what each setting does and how it affects other settings. HH

OP
OP
Coin-Digger

Coin-Digger

Sep 18, 2019
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should have bought the MXT as the MX sport isn't the MXT for sure, if you put in the time the V3i can make any change you want but you must know what each setting does and how it affects other settings. HH

I like the MX-Sport as well! Not getting rid of it. The light weight of the Deus was the main reason of getting one. I haven’t tried the MXT, but I’ve heard good things about it. The sport will still be used a lot because I do old swimming holes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread