l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I presently have an Equinox 600. and my problem is I just don't get out enough. I never go beyond the pre set programs, and honestly it is so long between uses it takes me a while to get that far. I was just wondering if the Vanquish would be a better fit. Any thoughts on performance of the Vanquish compared to the 600 in the preset modes? Thanks for any help.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny you bring this up. I just sold my Equinox 600 about two months ago for $500 (i paid $560 for it with my military discount) and i had it for 3 years, thats about $20 bucks a year! I too didn't fiddle much beyond the base programs and was looking at the Vanquish 540.

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What types of hunting do you do and what soil types? For the beach the Vanquish is more than adequate. If you do a lot of relic hunting in iron infested ground then the 600 might be a little better, but if you never touch the 600 presets, you might not notice.

OP
OP
l.cutler

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mostly looking for old coins and relics at old cellar holes, old home sites. Some areas are quite iron infested. thanks for the input.

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have tested the 540 at iron laden sites behind the Equinox and they are not equal in that situation. In cleaner ground such as beaches or parks the Vanquish does great. I think it has the same raw power as the Nox but without the internal fine adjustments. This video describes exactly what happens with the Vanquish in my KY ground at colonial sites. The heavy iron drives it crazy (clipped high tones) and the lack of GB causes it to give constant iron grunts on the extra iron mineralization that would normally be balanced out with the Nox.

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are just messing around the vanquish is good enough for general detecting.

It is a very good machine for the money and about the best on its class. It will not do well in trash with a large coil.

So if your planning on spending 500 for the pro pack, you might as well spend the extra and go ahead for the 600. It has a lot more features for a little more money.

But if you were just going to use it every now and then as you have said, stick with the 369 vanquish 540. That makes more sense than buying the complete pro vanquish pack.

Either one are good machines but the equinox does perform better.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Apples and Oranges. The Vanquish 540 is the "poor man's" Equinox 600. I LOVE my Vanquish 540 at the beach, I had the Equinox 600, but between my Simplex Plus in parks and Farm fields, and the Vanquish 540 at the beach, I ended up selling it. :skullflag:

OP
OP
l.cutler

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info all, thanks!

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Had the Nox 600 - great machine but for relic hunting prefer the Orx and f19. Just got a Vanquish 540 pro pack new for $310 which I couldn’t pass up. I’ll use it in parks and definitely beach if I ever get there, and I’ll try it at homesites using the 5x8 coil though I’m aware of it’s falsing issues.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread