Folks, A thread for foods that are good for you....

OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,

As promised here's a post showing the health benefits of various common herbs that we can either grow or buy.

1:- Parsley....add it to your salads or sprinkled over over vegetables, meats, etc....lots of good stuff nutrition wise for you.

7 Surprising Health Benefits Of Parsley | Care2 Healthy Living

2:Sage another herb that is easy to add to your diet.

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/herbs-and-spices/sage.html

3:Thyme lots of goodies in this herb also.

http://www.healthline.com/health/health-benefits-of-thyme#1

4:-Rosemary another herb packed with good stuff for the body.

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/herbs-and-spices/rosemary.html

5:-Basil called the queen of herbs.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/healthy-basil

Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't forget Extra Virgin Coconut Oil..good stuff,put a spoonful in your morning coffee for a brain start.

GOD Bless

Chris

OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folks,

Here's a plant most people consider a weed, however, it's packed with good stuff for cleansing and strengthening the body....the lowly dandelion.

We buy the commercial ones from a ethnic supermarket but you can pick the wild ones preferably before the flowers come out so it's not so bitter.

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/herbs-and-spices/health-benefits-of-dandelion.html

Regards + HH

Bill
Years ago my grandaddy used to make wine using dandelions, he also used honeysuckle. He had a nice garden with lots of variety. Even a few rows of Maryland Silver Queen corn. Myself, I can't even grow a weed and my diet is terrible lately.

OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
digummup,

Welcome to the thread....heck maybe you'll learn a trick or 2 about what to add to your diet to get a bit of a boost.

Regards + HH

Bill

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Apple Cider Vinegar with the Mother.

4805526e82fe2e1a99bc68da5f884283.image.278x550.jpg

There are sooo many uses for this.

GOD Bless

Chris

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
digummup,

Welcome to the thread....heck maybe you'll learn a trick or 2 about what to add to your diet to get a bit of a boost.

Regards + HH

Bill
I strayed from my dietary regimen a couple years ago. I know how to eat right. Actually doing it is another story. I turned 50 last month, I've lost 10 pounds since then without trying too much.

OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
diggummup,

This is a true story when I was still working I used to go for a walk at lunch time and try different spots to eat....I wasn't a brown bagger and it got me out of the office for some fresh air and exercise.

That said one day I stopped into this fried chicken joint and the owner was behind the counter and was on the hefty side probably from eating to much of his own cooking....lol...

We got to talking and and asked him what he was drinking and he told me it was fresh lemon juice with water he had already lost 50 lbs without changing his diet or habits.

Appears the lemon juice managed to burn off additional calories and fat that he was consuming...heh whatever works.

Regards + HH

Bill

I strayed from my dietary regimen a couple years ago. I know how to eat right. Actually doing it is another story. I turned 50 last month, I've lost 10 pounds since then without trying too much.

OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't forget Extra Virgin Coconut Oil..good stuff,put a spoonful in your morning coffee for a brain start.

GOD Bless

Chris

My wife uses it as a binder for some of the grainola bars she makes. We had some butter in Croatia mixed with this too, it was really good stuff. My wife got the formula from the farmer who was serving out of his little farm/cafe. He is the last farmer in the National Forest there and the only person who has the rights to have a cafe. He makes some of the best stuff. Almost worth driving the four hours to get there, just to buy some stuff up in bulk. LOL At easter we did pick up a nice 40 liter barrel of wine from him though, the foods we got are all gone now. LOL

But you are correct, out of all the oils out there this is the best stuff. You can get it in an oil form but the good stuff you mentioned is more like a paste in texture.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife uses it as a binder for some of the grainola bars she makes. We had some butter in Croatia mixed with this too, it was really good stuff. My wife got the formula from the farmer who was serving out of his little farm/cafe. He is the last farmer in the National Forest there and the only person who has the rights to have a cafe. He makes some of the best stuff. Almost worth driving the four hours to get there, just to buy some stuff up in bulk. LOL At easter we did pick up a nice 40 liter barrel of wine from him though, the foods we got are all gone now. LOL

But you are correct, out of all the oils out there this is the best stuff. You can get it in an oil form but the good stuff you mentioned is more like a paste in texture.

I use this one,it melts on skin contact.

71TEUB5DIGL._SY679_.jpg

OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Chris/Oddjob,

Keep the posts coming hopefully this will turn into an interesting thread....maybe just maybe some people can learn a few tricks to eat healthier foods than the processed crap being pushed at us left, right and center.

Regards + HH

Bill

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Chris/Oddjob,

Keep the posts coming hopefully this will turn into an interesting thread....maybe just maybe some people can learn a few tricks to eat healthier foods than the processed crap being pushed at us left, right and center.

Regards + HH

Bill

A doctor I had years ago told me"western medicine doesn't work and if it doesn't grow out of the ground don't eat it."

OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digzit2,
We do a lot of canning/preserves also recently did a bunch of currant jelly both red and black....tomorrow we're planning on hitting a wild raspberry patch both red and black with any luck we'll have some more berries for preserves.

Regards + HH

Bill

Oddjob,
I would love to see your garden.I find it amazeing of all the things you grow and can.My wife and I have a little vegtable garden and we can as well.Thanks for your post also.

OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oddjob,

Another plant which is good for sores, burns, etc among other things is aloe.

Top 12 Benefits of Aloe Vera - Laura Dawn - Happy & Raw

Dandelion does not taste so bad, I like mine with avocado and oranges.

another good one is thistle, first you can soak the leaves in normal rubbing alcohol and let it stand. Then if you have an infected cut one wipe with that stuff and it will clean up fast.

But also thistle taste great when it is finely chopped up in a meat loaf or with some horse meat in a frikadella. No matter what meat yu use it in you will want to make sure it is cooked, eating that raw is a bad idea, unless you are making feta (sheep cheese) then you can add that in raw.

I wish I had links for half this stuff so I could post it; all my stuff comes out of books like the PDR or just from normal use.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Oddjob,

Another plant which is good for sores, burns, etc among other things is aloe.

Top 12 Benefits of Aloe Vera - Laura Dawn - Happy & Raw

Yeah tell me about it. Grew up on a South Texas ranch, it was that, mud or raw pork depending on what you had.

I have never seen a single aloe plant in Europe my entire time here. So back in 2007 my Team and I where being sent to the States for some training. I had sourced all sorts of seeds, plants and saplings. LOL

On our way out my Team and I had rented some trucks because we did some shopping in many other places too; couldn't go to North America without the families giving us a list that was well thought months in advanced. We started loading up the plane and some Customs Officer drives by in his little golf cart. He asked us what our destination was and we told him Europe; he says "so you guys get a no customs flight coming and going". Told him that was correct, he started smiling and said well it looks like you guys have some big families. LOL

Anyway that Aloe plant lasted about 3 months. I took it in to a botanist I know who works with many types of succulents and she said that no matter what her facility has never been able to find a suitable habitat to keep them alive either.

So no aloe here, just that fake store bought stuff.

OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oddjob,

We've had ours for several years now and it's holding up well we just keep it on a window ledge.

Regards + HH

Bill

Attachments

• DSC00929 (640x424).jpg
    DSC00929 (640x424).jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 95

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions