My worst Deer Tick bite ever.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
My record was 16 deer tick bites in one year.

Now I'm dealing with my 6th of this year - and astronomically my worst bite ever.

Last week I found one on my left belly just above the belt line, and that one got me good. When I pulled that tick out it seriously hurt, the most deeply bitten one I've experienced. That was two days ago.

Following removal, the bite area swelled up the size of a baseball - a seriously burning welt.

Hard to sleep last night and burning & itching like crazy.

I'd been adding an onion to my diet, eating a full slice a day = because I'd been reading about the healing qualities of the onion.

This morning I cut a slice of onion and put is over the wound, today my first day. The welt is now gone, the swelling and redness and overwhelming itch with it. The wound still burns, and I've still a slice of onion over it. But that onion looks like it will have conquered that bite - the nastiest I've ever had.

So I'm now a believer!!! Try it yourself out there.

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the advice. Will try this...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read up on Lyme's disease. I never had a tick bite go nuclear on me. Kinda different. Be careful.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Try it myself? Oh heck no!
I'll never go outdoors again.....( kidding).
Been saving t.p. roll tubes to make " tick bombs".

Using permithrin (sp). Or per her thout not poison the neighbors cat, cedar oil.
Cotton batting ,or cotton balls ( or laundry lint) treated with tick killer placed in those tubes and placed around where mice hang out at night.
Mice snatch cotton/ lint for nesting material. Bringing killer to prime tick locales....

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can put Sevin in the old toilet paper rolls or paper towel rolls. Cotton with the Sevin dust will do the trick. It will break the life cycle of the ticks, and the mice will love you.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Read up on Lyme's disease. I never had a tick bite go nuclear on me. Kinda different. Be careful.

Oh yeah Smokey, studied that my first year of retirement with the 16 bites. Went to the VA about those - concerned about Lyme disease. This one was the worst and I'll be right on top of that. But I've taped a fresh slice of onion over the bite right now. The welt is gone, the bite still there, and I have another VA appointment on May 1st. That onion is staying in place until then.

Read up on the health benefits of onions, and their medicinal benefits versus whatever gets to take a bite out of us. That welt this morning prior to the onion was frightening - knew I'd been serious got this morning - with a heck of a difference this afternoon & evening. I'll sleep well tonight - a thankful break. No more itching and burning right now.

Stay safe.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DeepS, Please do not take that bite lightly. Seek a medical opinion. I am talking from first hand experience and two years of treatments. Mine did not get me until about ten days after the initial bite. I had to be revived in intensive care one time. It cost me better than 50 % of my physical well being. Mine was a mutated version of Ehrlichiosis.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I need to pick up some cloves of garlic too!

Thanks for the posts and concerns.

When I was digging into the benefits of onions, and their antibiotic benefits the last few days, I got the bite and had nothing else here besides salves which were not helping. I was reading that onions could inhibit infections in wounds. This morning was kinda freaky with the welt. So the best thing I could do was adlib with the situation so I put that onion on it.

And here I am now with a fresh onion on the wound - no swelling - itching - discomfort with it. I've done the best I can right now and we'll see where it goes tomorrow.

One thing I can testify to is that the onion took away the swelling, the itch & burning (except the onion on the wound right now), and immediate concern for my health - to be confirmed by my next VA appointment.

I'd put medicinal salves over the wound yesterday to awaken this morning with that fiery welt - to have it disappear now with the onion patch. I'd read the humble onion was an antibiotic. Certainly happier with it right at this very moment. Tomorrow is another day.

Worth a shot and worked so far.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'd think we're talking about vampire ticks. I hate ticks.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That danged Vampire Tick, never had one hurt that bad pulling it out. So far, onions are my friend. Doctors later!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Eat some raw garlic also,it's a very good natural antibiotic.if you ever get an infected tooth and can't get to a dentist chew up some raw garlic and hold it against the tooth.the infection will be gone before you know it.cooking kills the antibiotic properties of garlic just to let you know.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Eat some raw garlic also,it's a very good natural antibiotic.if you ever get an infected tooth and can't get to a dentist chew up some raw garlic and hold it against the tooth.the infection will be gone before you know it.cooking kills the antibiotic properties of garlic just to let you know.

Good post Red my friend! Right now I've used the only tape I have = masking tape, and a slice of onion over the wound. Not itching, burning or discomforting. I'll sleep with that tonight and see where I am tomorrow. Thing is, this morning that wound was burning and itching the crap outta me.

Right now I'm just fine heading to bed with ZERO itching or discomfort.

When all I got is masking tape and an onion - I'll use that for here to come. It worked for me today. What else could I ask from Our Father?

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Slept with that onion slice taped over the wound. There's only a dot of the wound remaining. ZERO itching/burning whatsoever.

I'll be using that onion trick again, as I'm certain I'll be bitten again.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread