The mature stoner: why are so many seniors smoking weed?

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
In 1975, I took a criminal justice course at the local community college. We had a term paper and I chose the topic that I didn't think marijuana was so much worst than alcohol that in SD you could get life in prison for one joint, but the states sold alcohol.

Long story but in the end, the ex-cop teacher gave me an A. I learned that almost all real studies ever done show alcohol is much worst than marijuana. Socially; medically; and more. Two studies, one 1895, India, and one later in NYC show society would be much better off if everyone used marijuana than alcohol. In 1975, Consumer's Report did a major article showing pot did very little , but first time booze users can kill themselves.

There are two very large dangers with pot. You can still lose your house and freedom if they catch you. And, people who sell pot illegally have been known to lace it with bad stuff to hook you.

I am a teetotaller, no drugs; no booze, but believe marijuana should be totally allowed. You should be able to go to the drug store and buy it USP.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Earthfoot, please post by rules, no politics except in our politics forum.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
DING-DING-DING-DING!!!! We have a Winner!:headbang::hello2::icon_thumright:
K1024_022_InPixio_InPixio.JPG

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some interesting points going on here. Because I have been diagnosed with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and take a PPI medicine to reduce the amount of acid my body produces, I am very limited with the pain relievers that I can take. Most of them cause gastric distress and those that don't (acetaminophen, for example) have the potential for negative outcomes for a person's kidneys and liver. I talked with my doctor who has traditionally not been a supporter of cannabis and asked her about using CBD products for pain and gastric problems. She thought it might be a good idea and suggested that I try some CBD infused oil. Since she knows I enjoy academic pursuits for fun, she also asked me to do some scholarly research about CBD and cannabis as potential medicine.

While there has not been extensive research because of the federal law proscribing marijuana as a Schedule-I substance, the passage of the Farm Bill in 2018 has allowed research into the use of CBD. My research, which has been based on scholarly articles published in professional medical and research journals, shows that there is potential for several non-pharmaceutical (in sense of synthetic creations) medical uses for CBD. The prime case is that of Charlotte Figi, a young girl with incurable, intractable, epilepsy who was given a high CBD, low THC medicine that reduced her seizures from multiples per day to very infrequent occurrences. Studies show a good potential for treating anxiety, gastric issues, and pain (among others) with CBD without THC.

The last time I smoked any weed was nearly 50 years ago and I really have no desire to start again now. I do, however, use CBD products on a daily basis. I have found CBD to be beneficial for arthritis pain and IBS problems. It works for both. I have, with one exception, not used any pain medication for over a year (the one time I used some Tylenol was about two weeks ago when I was blessed with a mild case of the flu).

I have to say that I am not a fan of anyone under the age of 35 using marijuana. I taught high school for my last career before I retired and saw too often the negative effects of marijuana on the brains of teenagers. I will continue to stand against the legalization of marijuana for recreational purposes. I am still undecided about medical marijuana but believe it has a place in modern medicine as much as it has for the last 4000 years. As for comparing cannabis to alcohol, I will come down on the side of cannabis. Cannabis likely has less negative effects than alcohol but much more research is needed.

So ends my rant ...

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I didn't think marijuana was so much worst than alcohol that in SD you could get life in prison for one joint, but the states sold alcohol.
I am a teetotaller, no drugs; no booze, but believe marijuana should be totally allowed. You should be able to go to the drug store and buy it USP.

I'm a pretty private fellow, but at times foolish and unaware. Years ago I got a DUI while going home from a bar. Oh my was that life changing! OUCH - the things I had to go through... My driveway is a kilometer long to reach the "real world" - where it's pretty nice to sit up the holler without having to deal with all that crap.

Last edited:

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
The problem with what you said is it is hard to say those high school kids were using pure marijuana. People who sell illegal drugs have been known to lace it with whatever they really want to sell.

Some interesting points going on here. Because I have been diagnosed with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and take a PPI medicine to reduce the amount of acid my body produces, I am very limited with the pain relievers that I can take. Most of them cause gastric distress and those that don't (acetaminophen, for example) have the potential for negative outcomes for a person's kidneys and liver. I talked with my doctor who has traditionally not been a supporter of cannabis and asked her about using CBD products for pain and gastric problems. She thought it might be a good idea and suggested that I try some CBD infused oil. Since she knows I enjoy academic pursuits for fun, she also asked me to do some scholarly research about CBD and cannabis as potential medicine.

While there has not been extensive research because of the federal law proscribing marijuana as a Schedule-I substance, the passage of the Farm Bill in 2018 has allowed research into the use of CBD. My research, which has been based on scholarly articles published in professional medical and research journals, shows that there is potential for several non-pharmaceutical (in sense of synthetic creations) medical uses for CBD. The prime case is that of Charlotte Figi, a young girl with incurable, intractable, epilepsy who was given a high CBD, low THC medicine that reduced her seizures from multiples per day to very infrequent occurrences. Studies show a good potential for treating anxiety, gastric issues, and pain (among others) with CBD without THC.

The last time I smoked any weed was nearly 50 years ago and I really have no desire to start again now. I do, however, use CBD products on a daily basis. I have found CBD to be beneficial for arthritis pain and IBS problems. It works for both. I have, with one exception, not used any pain medication for over a year (the one time I used some Tylenol was about two weeks ago when I was blessed with a mild case of the flu).

I have to say that I am not a fan of anyone under the age of 35 using marijuana. I taught high school for my last career before I retired and saw too often the negative effects of marijuana on the brains of teenagers. I will continue to stand against the legalization of marijuana for recreational purposes. I am still undecided about medical marijuana but believe it has a place in modern medicine as much as it has for the last 4000 years. As for comparing cannabis to alcohol, I will come down on the side of cannabis. Cannabis likely has less negative effects than alcohol but much more research is needed.

So ends my rant ...

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
No herbal influences in my world at the moment, but I do have a 42 oz 8.1 alc/vol Steel Reserve beer in front of me. After all, it's hot up here (my upstairs domain) at the moment = makes the throat dry. I smell supper cooking downstairs right now. Maybe later I'll think about smoking something, or not.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
No herbal influences in my world at the moment, but I do have a 42 oz 8.1 alc/vol Steel Reserve beer in front of me. After all, it's hot up here (my upstairs domain) at the moment = makes the throat dry. I smell supper cooking downstairs right now. Maybe later I'll think about smoking something, or not.

42 oz.? !!!
You'll wet the bed again.
Or worse, miss supper.....Again.
:laughing7:

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
42 oz.? !!!
You'll wet the bed again.
Or worse, miss supper.....Again.
:laughing7:

Oh man, it's been quite while since I pee'd myself (or the bed).

After all my friend, I do pretend to be an adult :)

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Back in the Vietnam days, the statement was "hut tuoc can sa". That translates to essentially "smoke marijuana" .

Been around many a block since then....

Last edited:

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The meaning of life according to terence mckenna, eccentuate the beauty, the wonder, and the glory. Weed does this. A stoned population is a population at peace. The alternative is people on edge and scared and desiring to be good infastructure for the elite All so they can pay there bills. Meanwhile the homeless stoner is happy. So long as he has weed and can catch a fish to eat.

Last edited:

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
I’m not convinced that someone’s outlook is directly altered, by smoking weed, but definitely indirectly.
If smoking weed provides enough relief from some debilitating ailment, that in my opinion would be something indirectly altering outlook.

Maybe I should go out to the barn and think about that for a little bit. 8-):laughing7:

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my weed experience has been great throughout my life. Daily smoker for 30 years.
Drug tests at work 14 years ago forced me to quit, but as soon as i retire i plan on smoking again.

there is nothing like it for relaxing the body, and the mind.

I drove stoned everywhere i went, never any traffic violations. It helps you focus on the task at hand, i am a much safer, slower driver when stoned.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some folks smoke pot to keep it out of the hands of minors, these folks are known as good deed doers! View attachment 1672684
ROFLMAO

I always liked good deed doers.

Our reaction to pot since the "Reefer Madness" days of the 1930's has not been a result of science but of lobbyists, even back then (because the research was effectively stifled and eliminated).
Some interesting points going on here. ........

While there has not been extensive research because of the federal law proscribing marijuana as a Schedule-I substance, the passage of the Farm Bill in 2018 has allowed research into the use of CBD. ......

Studies show a good potential for treating anxiety, gastric issues, and pain (among others) with CBD without THC ....

The last time I smoked any weed was nearly 50 years ago and I really have no desire to start again now. I do, however, use CBD products on a daily basis. I have found CBD to be beneficial for arthritis pain and IBS problems. It works for both. ....

.... it has a place in modern medicine as much as it has for the last 4000 years. As for comparing cannabis to alcohol, I will come down on the side of cannabis. Cannabis likely has less negative effects than alcohol but much more research is needed ...

It never made sense to me why Pot is classified as a Schedule I (which includes heroin, Peyote, "Ecstasy",etc.) and more dangerous than Schedule II (methadone, meperidine (Demerol®), oxycodone (OxyContin®, Percocet®), and fentanyl (Sublimaze®, Duragesic®), morphine, opium, codeine, and hydrocodone

or Schedule III drugs (anabolic steroids and others)

DOJ LINK for the information on Schedule I, II, and III drugs.

Here in Fl. there was so much resistance to it and it never received much political traction until the early 2010's(?) when the child of a member of the (state) House of Representatives had an aggressive form of cancer that could be treated by it. When it was "MY" childs life on the line it was then deemed worthy of consideration, study and acceptance. When it was "their" families that could benefit it was deemed reprehensible and dangerous!

Honest, science-driven data is what is important, not lobbyists or religious influence.

By The Way:
I haven't "intentionally" :headbang: inhaled since 1985 (although I have found myself downwind from some enjoying a nice toke) and smoke does create an issue for me personally.

CBD and THC have gotten most of the glory but those looking to take financial advantage of Industrial Hemp might want to look into other products for hemp in the modern construction industry (even though it has been used for thousands of years).
Take a look and I think you may be surprised. (Hemp-crete, insulation, deck oil, etc.):pot-of-gold: (pot-of-gold :icon_thumleft:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread