The mature stoner: why are so many seniors smoking weed?

FloodcityTom

Jun 25, 2020
West Va
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Im a senior and I do know of others in my peer group that do toke, mostly for medicial purposes, but some coz they have been doing it all their lives, dare I say "over fond of it" as I wish no arguements about what constitutes addiction.. I make no judgemets, to each his own. I tried it one time whe younger didn;t do a thing for me except make my mouth feel like the 3rd infantry mached through it barefoot. Im 67, don't smoke anything, dont drink ad dont do drugs and use no medication. I suppose thats why I can still bench press 250 hike a mile, or so Metal detect, hunt, fish etc.

Word of caution to my fellow tH's, be careful you dont run up on somebodies pot plants, people around WVa will shoot you full of holes and bury your corpse.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m not convinced that someone’s outlook is directly altered, by smoking weed, but definitely indirectly.
If smoking weed provides enough relief from some debilitating ailment, that in my opinion would be something indirectly altering outlook.

Maybe I should go out to the barn and think about that for a little bit. 8-):laughing7:

Stay away from the straw and hay in the barn while you are "thinking!" :headbang:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im a senior and I do know of others in my peer group that do toke, mostly for medicial purposes, but some coz they have been doing it all their lives, dare I say "over fond of it" as I wish no arguements about what constitutes addiction.. I make no judgemets, to each his own. I tried it one time whe younger didn;t do a thing for me except make my mouth feel like the 3rd infantry mached through it barefoot. Im 67, don't smoke anything, dont drink ad dont do drugs and use no medication. I suppose thats why I can still bench press 250 hike a mile, or so Metal detect, hunt, fish etc.

Word of caution to my fellow tH's, be careful you dont run up on somebodies pot plants, people around WVa will shoot you full of holes and bury your corpse.

My Brother-in-law, a few years back, happened upon someone's plot while deer hunting. The crop was ready for harvest, but nobody was around, so he plucked an ounce or so, and stuffed the buds in his pockets. As he began walking away, the cops came out of the woods, and arrested him. Dumb luck.

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
My Brother-in-law, a few years back, happened upon someone's plot while deer hunting. The crop was ready for harvest, but nobody was around, so he plucked an ounce or so, and stuffed the buds in his pockets. As he began walking away, the cops came out of the woods, and arrested him. Dumb luck.

So someone WAS around. Several someone’s!

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think pots stigma started by the government movie, "Reefer Madness". It's a real Hoot, and SO misleading. BUT, hey, that's what the government does.
I think the film was made in the late 1930's..
As Old Blue Eyes once said, " I always sat in the back of the bus when we toured, that's where all the cool guys were, we smoked pot." Frank Sinatra
The Book of Genesis states, all things are here for a reason...go figure
It's either , yea or nay...your choice...some will argue, "it's grape juice, not wine." bs, it's both.
Man has been using drugs for several thousand years. Was he wrong? Egyptians had traces of cocaine in the hair. DUUUUH History got it wrong and that was just yesterday and anything beyond a few seconds ago is History.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting thread and points of view. I went back and read it from the beginning, a good day for being retired.

Society has certainly changed radically since 1970 = 50 years ago. What a difference 50 years mean.....

I really do think we as a society are far more aware now, far more conscious of what our lives mean to us and to others.

All you contemporary people, just how many good friends from 50 years ago remain standing today? On my end, I've lost most all of them (only one remaining). Mom's 94 - she's lost ALL of them.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
DADS, friendship is transitory

As a rule, that's life. I have one friend left from my teenage years, and all the rest are gone by whatever happened along the way.

FloodcityTom

Jun 25, 2020
West Va
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
On this subject, I am aquainted with a young lady (well young to me, she is 47) who is an Iraqi War veteran, mother of 2 (grown) grandmother to 1. Really great person, she has Thyroid Cancer which is worsening and early stages cancer in the kidneys. I Had a long conversation with her recently, one Vet to another. She has told me that she smokes weed every single day several times on some days to kill the pain. She says the pain is driving her mad and without it she might attempt suicide, she prays every time she lights up asking God for relief. The man in her life is sticking by her as she slowly degenerates and it is tearing him up too, I admire him for his strength and for staying by her side. Both are afraid that Chemo will harm her and the painkillers she gets she rarely uses as she fears addiction. this Lady changed my views on MJ.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many elderly folks are drawn to the drug for its pain- and anxiety-relieving benefits. My uncle has been suffering from back pain for years. He was on meds but understood they were pretty addictive. According to the Canadian pharmacy site, a lot of pain relievers can have side effects and lead to complications (I checked this info myself). So, he does his best to avoid taking painkillers. He replaced them with CBD and says it works for him. Actually, I know that medical marijuana has many benefits and helps many people with awful diseases. Though I'm against recreational use.
So if your against recreational....
your FOR...
the continued wasting of massive ... and we are talking massive amounts of tax dollars and first responders time and the continued jailing of people for their CHOICE of use of a plant less harmful than all others on Earth...

Correct ? ? ?

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Many elderly folks are drawn to the drug for its pain- and anxiety-relieving benefits. My uncle has been suffering from back pain for years. He was on meds but understood they were pretty addictive. According to the Canadian pharmacy site, a lot of pain relievers can have side effects and lead to complications (I checked this info myself). So, he does his best to avoid taking painkillers. He replaced them with CBD and says it works for him. Actually, I know that medical marijuana has many benefits and helps many people with awful diseases. Though I'm against recreational use.
"a lot of pain relievers can have side effects and lead to complications"

AMEN. I get so many side effects from all man made meds that I simply have to tough out miseries, suffer and avoid most all junk drugs. MJ is illegal here but dabbling with it a little tells me it is a miracle worker. The US mindset over MJ since refer madness days and still today, is the madness. It is sad for humanity.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Interesting column.

A friend I ride with son moved back to central Indiana from out west a few years ago, we were riding in Southern Indiana and stopped at small country diner for grub. His son proceeded to tell me a tale of his job out west. He worked at a commercial marijuana farm. He was issued a riffle, shotgun and pistol for 'protection.' They had more of a problem with raiders from south of the border than US citizens. Longs story here cut short.

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
"a lot of pain relievers can have side effects and lead to complications"

AMEN. I get so many side effects from all man made meds that I simply have to tough out miseries, suffer and avoid most all junk drugs. MJ is illegal here but dabbling with it a little tells me it is a miracle worker. The US mindset over MJ since refer madness days and still today, is the madness. It is sad for humanity.
I’m thinking the madness in the mindset is called greed.
Hard for big Pharma to make trillions, if they were to be sharing benefits of herbal approach to ailments ..... in fact they do all they can to thwart any research or spread of the knowledge.
In my opinion, big Pharma is the current day snake oil salesman, except they promote the illusion that we have no control about it all....
HOG WASH. I say boycott them all.
:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread