Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Jul 2011
    Bank Tellers
    90 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Question How to distinguish new posts from already-read topics w/ followups I haven't read yet

Since the the forum got its big update recently, I've found it frustrating to visit the site, and in fact I don't come by as much. Because it's just not so easy to avoid re-reading stuff I've already read before.

I believe that what is happening is that anything new in a topic -- a topic I haven't read at all, or even just some followups to an existing topic - make the topic show as boldface (and bump it up to the top of the list). I would like to have some way to distinguish which topic is new -- unread by me at all -- and which topic just has new replies.

And, ideally, some way on the topics that I've already read with the new replies for me to click and jump to the newest replies.

Otherwise, I find myself re-reading topics that I've already read before. And it's hard to get to the newly posted stuff, where there might be something newly-posted that I'd be interested in reading.

It seems like the old forum didn't have this problem, though I can't recall exactly what I did to recognize the posts with just new replies and how to get directly to those new replies.

Is there something I am missing? Or can this be a suggestion for some sort of improvement? Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Ads

TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

us
    Apr 2010
    Maryland
    125 times
    Rocks & Minerals, Furs, Mushrooms
    Forum Actions > General Settings > TreasureNet - Pro (scroll all the way down left side)

There are three different forum appearance optuions. What seems to be the issues for most users is the "folder/file" icon.. Located to the left of each post/topic.. even confuses me.. But once you change the forum's appearance as I've stated above.. you can see a difference.
    Bird Watcher | Befriender Of The Squirrel | Escape Artist | Ex-Dumpster Diver | Trash Appraiser | Deep Thinker | Creative Tinker | Seeker Of Roads Less Traveled | Finder Of Dead Ends
    "I'm Not A Geologist, Thou I Play One On TV"

us
    Jul 2011
    Bank Tellers
    90 times
    Hmm, I'm already on TreasureNet - Pro setting...

I do notice different color combinations on the folders. Blue with a red tag, yellow with a blue tag, yellow with a red tag. Not clear what means what. And even if it's telling me that there's a thread with new posts that I haven't read yet, how do I get to just those new posts, so I don't have to start at the top again and re-read what I already read?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-05-24 at 2.20.38 PM.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	639080

us
    Apr 2010
    Maryland
    125 times
    Rocks & Minerals, Furs, Mushrooms
    Explanation Needed: What my post is pointing out is that when you goto the bottom of the General settings page.. There is a small window (TreasureNet Pro) that shows you three different options when viewing the forum.. I thought that this would give you a chance to view in all three modes to see if any or none of them help you.
    Bird Watcher | Befriender Of The Squirrel | Escape Artist | Ex-Dumpster Diver | Trash Appraiser | Deep Thinker | Creative Tinker | Seeker Of Roads Less Traveled | Finder Of Dead Ends
    "I'm Not A Geologist, Thou I Play One On TV"

Charter Member
    us
    *************** WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE! **************

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_ETrac Minelab_Safari Minelab_Excal_1500_WOT Excal_SEF_12x15 Sovereign GT Whites_6000_XL_Pro Whites_Classic_ID Troy_Shadow_X2 Tesoro_Conquistador Fisher_1235X Whites_Beach ID
    7491 times
    What Jeep is saying is to try the "TreasureNet Option" version, see if you like it better, Pro is the default version...

HERE IS THE THING ABOUT RIGHTS, THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VOTED ON, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM RIGHTS!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

CLICK LINK BELOW TO READ OUR RULES..

TreasureNet.com Rules

us
    Jul 2011
    Bank Tellers
    90 times
    Yeah, unfortunately changing the look of the page doesn't address the fundamental issue, of not being able to distinguish topics I've never seen from topics I've seen with unread followups, and to navigate directly to the unread followups in the latter case.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors