purepleasure2

Tenderfoot
Sep 13, 2013
ocean city maryland
Detector(s) used
currently looking to buy one
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
New to this hobby and bought the Minelab Excalibur detector. So far no gold but lots of coins at the beach. The problem I'm having is when I take the machine down in the water, every time a wave or water moves over the coil it sends a tone like it "hit" on something but I know it's just the water rushing over the coil. IS this normal or do I need to change my settings. I usually hunt in the Discrimination mode Discrimination is 1 and the sensitivity is around 6. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks - Steve

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "hit" is caused by the black sand rolling over the coil from the wave. How deep are you when it happens? This usually happens when coil is in real shallow water.

You can turn your sensitivity down, you can turn your threshold down too, or do as I do and ignore the false tone.

I have hunted in rough surf where every wave caused a false, I turned my threshold down to where I couldn't hear it yet I was still finding targets. You want hear the real faint targets that don't tone, they are the ones that barely break the threshold.....I only use this method when I am getting constant false signals caused by the waves...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread