What does gold look like after being buried in dirt, sand and salt water?

Golden oaks

Aug 4, 2012
BEACH BETTER HAVE MY MONEY!
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Excalibur II
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have yet to dig gold with my MD.
What effect does salt water & dirt have on gold items.:icon_scratch: I tried to google this and only found pics where the gold seemed to darken. I realize it is a mineral from the earth and would suspect it would not change too much.??? Nothing like the discoloration of coins & iron. Any pictures of your (as they lay) gold before clean up would be appreciated! Thank you

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What effect does salt water & dirt have on gold items.:icon_scratch: I tried to google this and only found pics where the gold seemed to darken. I realize it is a mineral from the earth and would suspect it would not change too much.??? Nothing like the discoloration of coins & iron.
Depends on the karat and base metals. Most times it remains just like minted, especially in ground, but lower quality gold can react to the minerals in the salt water...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you talking of raw gold or jewelry? If you are thinking gold jewelry don't disc out pull tabs at the beach an soon you'll find gold. Flies and Baits 042.jpg

AuLobo

May 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What effect does salt water & dirt have on gold items.:icon_scratch: I tried to google this and only found pics where the gold seemed to darken. I realize it is a mineral from the earth and would suspect it would not change too much.??? Nothing like the discoloration of coins & iron. Any pictures of your (as they lay) gold before clean up would be appreciated! Thank you

I've attached an image of a vial containing Arizona gold pickers and fines. At the time the image was taken this gold had been out of the ground for only a few hours where it had been buried for millions of years. Nothing had been done to clean or otherwise alter the appearance. This gold precipitated out of very hot subterranean water forced up through cracks in the earth's crust then remained on the floor of an ancient sea for many millennia until the land rose, forcing off the salt water. In spite of all that time spent in those rough conditions, it still looks like gold.

Attachments

• Gold Vial.jpg
    Gold Vial.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 416
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread