Can we get the bottle forum out of the basement?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How is it in the basement? It is under the artifact forum, same as Indian artifact and civil war, that is good company.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 10 years ago, I dug up an old tree stump in the back yard.........and found the ash pit from the wood/coal burning era. The pit disgorged several nice old bottles that my wife keeps on the window sill above the kitchen sink. I used some old pieces of sidewalk to put together a makeshift area for the grill. Unfortunately, the decorative treated timbers are beginning to succumb to gravity and are slowly creeping down the slope. The entire area will have to be dismantled...........not looking forward to the backbreaking work, but it will be interesting to see what other treasures are under there................

OP
OP
MuckyBottles

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 10 years ago, I dug up an old tree stump in the back yard.........and found the ash pit from the wood/coal burning era. The pit disgorged several nice old bottles that my wife keeps on the window sill above the kitchen sink. I used some old pieces of sidewalk to put together a makeshift area for the grill. Unfortunately, the decorative treated timbers are beginning to succumb to gravity and are slowly creeping down the slope. The entire area will have to be dismantled...........not looking forward to the backbreaking work, but it will be interesting to see what other treasures are under there................

It's probably not an ash pit, it's more than likely an outhouse, you could be sitting on big $$$$...I don't know if you have dug outhouses before, if not get a couple people who have, you don't want to lose out on valuable glass/stoneware...

Outhouses is big time bottle digging...

Last edited:

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's probably not an ash pit, it's more than likely an outhouse, you could be sitting on big $$$$...I don't know if you have dug outhouses before, if not get a couple people who have, you don't want to lose out on valuable glass/stoneware...

Outhouses is big time bottle digging...

LOL.......I admit to not getting too deep into the pit, but what I found was definitely wood and coal ash..........
The rebuild will actually be a set of steps up the bank to the yard, sooooooooo.............the excavation will be more extensive..............
Any tips?

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No depression.......or sink hole........just gravity working on the heavy slabs of concrete pulling them down the slope.
Not even sure about the tree. The stump was there when I purchased the property in the 90's................
Thanks for the link...............
My phone doesn't take good pics, but, I will get my daughter or son-in-law or grandson to take pics of the area..........and the bottles retrieved and upload them tomorrow..........

Last edited:

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on where in PA you are, I could come and lend a hand..

That is very generous of you........
Are you familiar with the home of Little League Baseball? That's my location.............

OP
OP
MuckyBottles

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Little far, lol...I'm familiar with Port Jervis down to Stroudsburg. ..if you have any questions don't hesitate to pm me

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Understandable...........I'll begin a thread tomorrow in the proper location with pics..............
Thanks for your input!!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This will probably start a peeing contest, but nobody loves early American antique bottles more than me. But, I never felt like the bottle section had been relegated to the basement. Sure, it's on down the forum home page, but everything can't be at the top. Muck, you just need a soothing balm to relax a bit.

covert1.JPG
covert.JPG

I know, it was made for pulmonary disorders and diseases of the windpipe, but it sounds good.:happy3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread