Website security.. again.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not certain why my other post was locked, but this is NOT about commerce.
Nothing is private here, not even private messages and according to Google, this site shouldn't be used!
Something is severely wrong with the sites connection according to Google.
See.
I don't care about Https..but as it stands now, anyone with a little knowledge can even see your private messages here.
People should be aware of this if the website owners won't fix it!

Screenshot_2019-04-16-21-45-20.png Screenshot_2019-04-16-21-54-45.png Screenshot_2019-04-16-21-44-56.png

That Red Exclamation ain't normal!! It isn't on my end.

BC

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_metal_detector.gif
FWIW BC - the owner of this site (who is paying for server space, band width, technical support, etc.) has chosen not to pay even more for HTTPS support. Why? The owner is providing a forum to exchange information about MD'ng and not financial data, social security numbers, etc. Or, as your Google evaluation says "we suggest you don't enter any private or personal information..."

catyron

Apr 15, 2019
Forestville, California
Detector(s) used
Old Maps, Dowsing, Borrowed detecting equipment from friends.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hahaha! You tell 'em. I run a large PHPbb forum and i won't pay the https fee either, cause it's a free site, and the same thing happens -- folks freak out because their posts can be searched by Google!

I imagine them having to hold back their hands, forcibly, to keep them from typying (gasp!) their phone number, credit card, and social security number.

I dunno, i go back to the days of Usenet, and, ya know ... whatever! LOL!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the Places that Members seem to get Hacked the Most is Facebook .

another is Twitter.

Both are Http

Just because you pay for Http doesn't mean your Safe.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https does not even make you secure. The only time you should enter cc social security or private information is when the site is encrypted. That will not even protect you if you don't have a solid malware protection on your own computer. I run malware bites, avast for mac I don't enter personal info unless to an encrypted transaction site and knock on wood I have not been hacked since I picked up a laptop in 1990

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BC, we have already addressed this with you multiple times. Facebook is HTTPS and constantly being hacked, in fact lots of businesses using HTTPS are being hacked. We are informational site not a business site, no one is using cc info other than to join as Charter Member and to do so you leave TNet to a HTTPS site. If the site's security bothers you that bad, don't login, you can still read..

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scams money to feed the homeless MY@$$ This money goes straight to terror groups. Encrypted sites are very secure. You are safer using your card on line than say Target, Chilies, Walmart who have all had breaches internally. The site is secure but that get the card information on the local site. In the case of Tnet, they are not processing the card, the transaction goes to a third party encrypted site. TNet never even sees your card information. This is as safe as it gets. My cards are High profile (High Limits) They get hit all the time. You never know where it is coming from but never from an internet transaction Not even one. Heck I flew in to Charlotte on a layover and bought a beer in the airport bar. Before I got home someone was buying gas on it in Raleigh. Still had the card in my wallet. Keep an eye on you balances and charges. Report anything that looks suspicious. In almost every case the card company is calling me asking about charges that are suspect. They really are doing the best they can about security.

Eleven Cents

Nov 30, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HTTPS would prevent a router on the path between you and TN from reading or altering the data en route. That's it. Just don't use the same password here that you use elsewhere. In the unlikely event there's a malicious router on your route, the worst thing that can happen is someone could gain access to your TN account. I don't think very many hackers are interested in that.

gastor

Aug 19, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HTTPS would prevent a router on the path between you and TN from reading or altering the data en route. That's it. Just don't use the same password here that you use elsewhere. In the unlikely event there's a malicious router on your route, the worst thing that can happen is someone could gain access to your TN account. I don't think very many hackers are interested in that.

Could you have a router problem?

Last edited by a moderator:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just never post any personal information. End of problem. There is no problem. And if someone googles what I post, great! I'll be famous! (Not.)

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I post any personal info , I have Zander I’d theft insurance

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread