My recent post

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
Dear moderator, you may have noticed in my last post, I had trouble with a couple different things. First, the orientation of images in my gallery show up right side up, but when I posted them they were up side down. 2ndly in a reply to a fellow member, when I tried to post a smiley face emoji it showed as a ? Mark.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of times of times it's how you hold your cell phone if that's how you are using a cell. Pictures on a cell phone have to taken with the phone held horizontally for them to not invert on the site. Otherwise you have to run the photo through an editing software program.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where did you get the "smiley" if you try to use one off your phone rather than off the website sometimes it will do that because software doesn't recognize it.

On your pictures were they originally shot in landscape or portrait mode?

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_metal_detector.gif
Dang - I can't remember when but I searched about this problem and I seem to remember it having to do with iPhone pictures (something to do with the format you use to save the picture) - are you using an iPhone?

Found it...

metal_detector.gif
Just got back from Google - read a ton of similar problems. The common thread is vBulletin (our forum software) has a problem in the way it interprets uploads (landscape vs portrait) and the size of the image. Many experiences show that reducing the size of a image eliminates the auto-rotation that takes place. Funny, this problem was ALWAYS associated with IPhones - now Androids? Hmmm - wonder if a fix for IPhone screwed up Androids? :) Anyway - next time it happens - try crop'ng the picture a little before upload.

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
HCW, I corrected the images in your thread "Good Day", and reduced
the average image size from 3MB down to about 800k.

There is an adjustable setting on your phone for the image size. I believe yours is set
to a larger setting, making for very large file sizes and huge images. Images would
post better (correct side up) if you reset that to something along the lines of 1000x800
(or thereabouts). Images would still be plenty big for internet use without any degrading
of the image, and they would load and post much faster.

Don't know if it's the best fix, but the only solution I've found for images posting up
that way is to reduce the image size.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread