Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
NH set to revoke licenses of irresponsible hikers
December 29, 2008 11:23 AM

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — A New Hampshire law enacted this year aims to make people think twice before heading into the woods unprepared or under the influence.

The state Department of Fish and Game currently fines lost hikers who recklessly venture into the woods to pay for the cost of the rescue, but now the department will have the power to revoke the driver's licenses of those who don't pay. Hikers can also lose licenses with the state Health and Human Services Department, and hunting and fishing licenses.

The law also gives the state more power over who they decide to fine. Previously, the state had to prove someone acted recklessly before charging a hiker for repayment for a rescue. This meant the state had to show the hiker or hikers were aware going into the woods posed a substantial risk but they did it anyway. Now the state only has to prove the person was negligent.

The Attorney General's Office is now reviewing four cases the Fish and Game Department believes meet the new standard. Officials estimate that of the 140 rescues a year, the state will be able to bill those rescued in about 40 of them.

Lt. Todd Bogardus, search and rescue team leader for Fish and Game, said the change in the law makes it easier to recoup costs.

"We are now using a reasonable person's standard," he said.

Fish and Game Col. Martin Garabedian, chief of law enforcement, said the cases now under review might not have gone forward without the new law. Most of these cases involve people who wandered from a trail or a campsite without supplies or a flashlight.

"Our ultimate goal is to reduce the numbers (of rescues). We'd like to do it through education, but in some instances we have to forcefully educate," Garabedian said.

In the past decade, more than $1 million has been spent on rescues but only about $25,000 has been recovered from reckless hikers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/29/us/29rescue.html?em

S

seger98

That's a very thought provking post. I'm gonna sleep on it & give ya my 2 cents in the morning!

S

seger98

Ok I slept on it, :icon_scratch: Just doesn't sound right to me to fine someone because they got lost, I doubt any of the lost people went into the woods intentionally to get lost. But I guess that's just another way for the states to control our lives & take more from us!

P

pippinwhitepaws

great idea...

arizona already has a "stupid motorist law" , too many fools were driving into flooded creeks and washs.
'i have a 4x and it can go anywhere, so i am ignoring the barricades, gotta get to circle K and get some twinkies.'

then the fire department show up with water rescue gear to pick the fool up off the roof of that 4x as it bounces down the wash.

stupid people need to be handed a bill for their stupid behaviors.

2Shoes

Dec 16, 2008
Wise
I agree if someone is doing something stupid and has to get rescued they should help with the bill. But if your out and break a leg or something or something you cant really help then I don't think they should bill ya. I would imagine most hikers are responsible hikers. If they billed for every rescue may scare everyone off.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Stupid laws are the best. :thumbsup:

Some, take that back; many folks are a
danger to themselves and others.

:wink:

all have a good un...
SHERMANVILLE

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am not sure how I feel about this law, but I do know NH does not have state income taxes thus alot of their state agencies can be strapped for cash and work on minimal budgets.

cptbild

Oct 3, 2005
NM/AZ/CA/Co/Utah & P.I. Tx.
I'm for that kind of Law! :D

How would you treat the Dumb Ba_____ ! :tongue3:
Who got lost in California
Then, decides to set THREE SIGNAL Fires
That ended up burning thousand of acres,
Burning to DEATH Thousands of Animals >:(
AND
Hundreds of homes!
Why in The H_ _ _ !
Didn't he just buy a Topo Map/GPS/Etc :icon_scratch:
I think that they should have "staked" him out on an ANT HILL !
He's TOO! Dumb to LIVE! >:(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread