Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am, when health permits, and was always an avid outdoors person who loves to hunt and fish. Most often I camp out for a few days when I go on an outing. Many times as I wander through the woods or cruise along a shoreline in my boat I have noticed abandoned cabins, old foundations, cellar holes, etc. Several times I have taken one of my detectors along with the intent of detecting some of these places but have only done it a few times. I have tried it along routes to and from hunting sites and found a few artifacts. I found some mule shoes from an old road bed that had been built by mules and wagons long ago and I found a very old tin drinking cup near a spring out in the middle of nowhere. I never did it but it would seem that spots that could only be reached by boat along reservoirs would be a good place to search. Most major reservoirs in my state are built for flood control and the property some feet back from the normal flood plane is public property, often owned by the state and managed by the Corps of Engineers. Unless it's in someone's back yard you should have no one around to bother you. Has anyone else ever taken advantage of these sites? Monty

claymation

Oct 14, 2007
NM
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I always look. I make mental note sometimes but mostly it is the present opportunity to do so. Normally I wouldn't have detecting equipment as I'm doing something different. It gives me a reason to return to a certain area so I can check it out closer.
I did find a miner's pick once, small enough to pack on a burro.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a little Silver Umax that I often take along with me if I even suspect there might be an oportunity for a short hunt. If it looks promising I can always come back with my primary detector and spend more time. Monty

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
Monty, I do this in Florida Bay among the mangrove islands. We have hundreds of uninhabited islands, some no bigger than a football field. If you search the east sides of these islands you often find old fishing camp sites. (You hunt the east sides because that's where the wind comes from. Nobody camps in the lee of an island down here. Too many mosquitoes.)

I find the usual modern trash along with old fishing gear and a few coins. I've also found over 30 anchors of various types over the years. Not all with the detector. It always amuses me to find so many small boat anchors. In all my life I've never lost one anchor and I'm on the water 200 days out of the year, year after year.

Old Town

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old town you must be in the keys with all the little islands. I spent some time in Florida in the service way back in '65 and'66. I wasn't into metal detecting then but I would have had ample opportunity if I had been. But I was 20 years old and more interested in beer and girls of which there were many! I made it to Datona Beach and saw the races once. Had a buddy whose folks owned a citris orchard out of Clearwater and spent some time there, but never made it down south. I didn't know what an opportunity I had darn it all. Monty

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
Monty said:
Old town you must be in the keys with all the little islands. I spent some time in Florida in the service way back in '65 and'66. I wasn't into metal detecting then but I would have had ample opportunity if I had been. But I was 20 years old and more interested in beer and girls of which there were many! I made it to Datona Beach and saw the races once. Had a buddy whose folks owned a citris orchard out of Clearwater and spent some time there, but never made it down south. I didn't know what an opportunity I had darn it all. Monty
I met an old man that said he is rich he looked like he could barely scrape together supper. I asked him how is he so rich? He said he had invested millions over the years. I said into what he said " he invested his money in whiskey and women the rest he blew". Then he bubbled the bottle of Crown Royal. I shook my head and thought he is the supervisor? True story that old man drank 2 fifths a day of that crap never missed a day he was probably too pickled to know how close to death he was? But still smiled a lot so who knows you probably did the right thing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions