Where do you leave your car.

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you're going on an extended hike - or even an over night hike - where do you leave your car?

I'm not sure I trust leaving my car at a trailhead if I'm going to be camping out for a few days. I just have someone drop me off and arrange a pickup time and location. Of course, that means relying on others and intruding upon their time. I'd rather do it myself.

How do you handle it?

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't want anyone tampering with your car, then do as I do. I usually smear animal blood, from steaks on the drivers side window. That tends to keep people at a distance :laughing7:

Now, on the other hand if you're really adventurous, here's another great idea. Pick an area in another state, fly in, leave your car at the airport (It's pretty safe there), take a taxi to the area and camp. Oh, get that cab companies number too, so they can pick you up later. :tongue3:

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other
Leaving your car at the airport is not as safe as most people think. If a thief breaks in, he can get your address from the car registration and chances are you left your garage door opener in the car....need I go on?

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Spartacus, thats a good idea, with the blood, but then you may come back to find its called a "crime scene"!

I have left a few beaches unhunted, because of only dark streets leading to the beach, at night. I usually only hunt at night. Not worth it, coming back and finding your windows broken out, just for a few coins.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a thief breaks in, he can get your address from the car registration and chances are you left your garage door opener in the car....need I go on?

You register your car :dontknow: :laughing9:

Maipenrai, it isn't a crime scene once I show up :laughing7: Besides, your car is in good hands with the police.

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Deserted trailheads and canoe put in/takeouts are problematic. I have a four wheel drive vehicle and know how to drive it. If just going for a long day paddle or hike i usually just stick it far back in the woods way off the beaten track. Doing this for almost 20 years and never a problem. This is on rivers and trails I know very well.

Further from home, I usually arrange to leave the car at the hotel or motel. I prearrange with the owner/management to leave the car there.

On the trailheads IMO it is really just asking about the area. Even a beautiful rural area can be a infested with meth heads or some other lowly ilk. No way to know unless you ask. Nothing beats local knowledge. You can always have an outfitter or guide service drop you off and pick you up.

One other thing we do is bicycle tour. it is a really great way to travel. But doing this leaves us at the mercy of the locals. One of the problems we have is seeing the sites after we've settled in. Do we leave all our gear in a tent at the campsite or ride around lugging fully loaded touring bikes? Again, no simple answer.

Last edited:

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
Of course leave nothing of value in the car. But you might also disable the vehicle in some way, but that still wouldn't stop vandals. I'ts enough to almost take the fun out,sometimes.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your car isnt safe any place...i used to bow fish and thats a night sport so my truck would sit at the boat landing while i was on the lake doing my thing...i came back once and it was broken into things were stolen almost 500 dollar worth of stuff but i never bothered reporting it to the police because i knew theres nothing they would do

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
here is my strategy to take the methhead bullseye off my car.

1. I use an older vehicle when going hiking/biking/paddling.
2. Nothing of value left in plain site.
3. Important documents, credit cards, cash, etc are always with me.
4. No loose change left in plain site.
5.No CDs left in plain site
6. Felix Unger owns this car. When unattended Seats and back of car contain a combo of old sweat shirts/T shirts, plastic convenience store bags, fast food wrappers, empty plastic water bottles and assorted no value crap. This all fits in one bag. Doing this makes car look like it is owned by a slob, which according to my wife isn't much of a stretch, and car looks univiting.
7. car doesn't get washed.

By the end of summer my car looks like the ultimate Piney POS. So, the thief breaks into the shinny BMW parked right next to it.

OP
OP
sidvail

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like this strategy. I think I can pick up a running junker for less than a grand. Perfect for my camping trips. Florida for the win :)

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasn't Felix the super neat one,? I believe you were searching for Oscar? I used to love that show!

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
I left an older Toyota at a closed immigration checkpoint for 5 hours once and when I got back there was a ticket from the
California highway patrol that it was going to be towed the next day as an abandoned vehicle. Registration and insurance
were up to date. Later when I parked at a different location and was getting out, the Patrolman came up and checked me
and the vehicle out. He told me it looked suspicious but had no answer to why it looked suspicious and couldn't give me a
law I had broken. Seemed like I should have driven my generic (everyone has one) Ford Expedition. Can't look to poor, I
guess.
Rich

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread