Hilleberg tents advice?

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi I have been trying to find a suitable tent for extreme wind conditions, I think I've narrowed it down to the Hilleberg Janna. The Hilleberg Saivo also seems to fit the bill. Does anyone have any experience with these tents or maybe have other suggestions. It needs to be able to handle possibly 80mph winds. Are there any dome tents in this category and price range that I missed, and why would I want or not want a dome tent in high winds. It might snow too but the wind is my main concern. What's better for windy conditions dome or tunnel tents? All advice is welcome thanks.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eureka makes the best "A" frame tent,and it stood up to 80mph. winds out in Big Bend National Park, I beleive it's on sale right now on campmor.com site
The tent is called the Timberline,it comes in several different sizes.

OP
OP
Alex Burke

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Produce Guy thanks for the reply, I found the Alpenlite 2XT tent and it looks like a good buy. I'm going to research the fabric they used a little but it looks good. I'm worried that there is a reason its less than half the cost of the ones I was looking at. I'm thinking its single wall design I read the specs and since they dont advertise it maybe thats the case. I'll do a little more research and post findings thanks again. I checked the timberline one the alpenlite looked tougher though.

Last edited:

AC500

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a look at the Bibler Ahwahnee, its pretty much a bomb proof 2P/4S tent, I had mine for about 6 years and never any issues, pitched in rain, high winds, woke up in snow, the tent was an all round serious shelter. I do regret selling it a few years back to get into a more basecamp style tent for family camping with my daughter, but the REI Kingdom fits the bill for me these days, not so much into the mountaineering I was. The Biblers are pricey but not as much as those Hilleburgs, I think you may be impressed.
Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Alex Burke

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I will check them out thank you for your reply.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread