Eagle Carving

tertiaryjim

Aug 5, 2008
NUKE I've worked with metals on the lathe to tolerances of + or - one ten thousanths of an inch . That's one thirtieth the thickness of a human hair. But, when it comes to wood I'm a total clutz . Would like to see your carvings . Jim

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
NUKE! I too like to carve wood and love carving natural subjects like eagles.

I would love to see some pics of your work. To help get you to post pics :wink:, here are a couple eagle walking sticks I have carved. I also use a woodburner in tandem with the carvings.

Happy carving!

Attachments

• eagles1.JPG
    eagles1.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 195
  • eagles.JPG
    eagles.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 193

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Very nice ME, are the pics on the sides done with wood burning ?
I hope to take up wood carving soon, I figured it would be a good retirement source of fun.

Nuke I hope you post some pics real soon I'd love to get inspired along these lines for those days it's too rainy and cold here to MD. ;D

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
MD, Nice to hear of your interest in carving. I have done signs, clocks, boxes, and walking sticks. I like the sticks, and have made many. The honey colored eagle stick has eight eagles on it. The only carving is the top one, with the rest being burned in. Both sticks have a combination of carving and burning.

Good luck!

Can't wait to see NUKE'S stuff! NUKE, NUKE!!! Where for art thou NUKE!

OP
OP
N

NUKE345KV

Apr 1, 2009
NW OHIO
Detector(s) used
Ace 250/Vibraprobe 580
Nice looking stuff i'll post some pics this weekend been busy. Working nights this week and I stay awake all day with my daughter sorry guys sleep is the priority this week look for pics by sunday.

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
MD Dog said:
So I wanna cut some stick wood this weekend. How long should I dry them before trying to work them ?
Cut sticks can be ready to use from just a few months to as much as a year, depending on when you cut them, the type of wood, etc. Springtime is worse because the tree is filling with more liquid to facilitate growth. When I cut sticks, I never lean them in a corner. I hang them from the rafters separately or tie them into small bundles so they don't warp while they dry. I cut them long and trim then up after drying. Some sticks will warp or crack to the point of being unusable. It is just a hit and miss sometimes.

You can also purchase ready to go sticks online, at a fairly decent price.

Stable sticks can be found on fallen trees or along riverbanks. Areas around beaver dams can produce good stick material, but don't touch any fresh beaver cuttings or chewed sticks, or come in contact with the water in the beaver areas, as they may harbor Giardia viruses.

Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread