Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Not really sure why I'm sharing this here but I'm just in the mood to write about something very dear to me personally.

I'm 64 and since I was a child I've loved art. It's more than a like with me, it's an obsession. I absolutely love almost all art forms.

I invented a certain painting style and only a few choice people have ever seen my work. On a regular basis I have people beg me to do a painting for them. I do very few due to the fact they're very large and I put many days (months) of intense concentration into each work.

In the past I've posted some pictures of some of my poor works I did mostly for laughs but my serious works never appear online. All paintings I do strictly for laughs are eventually destroyed by me. I keep the serious paintings and they will eventually go to various entities.

My paintings (on canvas) always lift my spirits when I feel down. They have tremendous power due to how they're made. I keep my best works in my own private art gallery and when I walk into the room my entire mood changes and I feel peaceful and fulfilled. I love them all!

Anyway, that's my story and my "hobby."

No, don't write and ask to see or buy one because they're not for sale. I don't need the money and selling one is almost like cheating on a friend.

Well there you have it, now you know I'm a nut. :tongue3:

Oh well, I do it for personal enjoyment and to me it's worth it.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you mean, I am a certified Bob Ross teacher, although I no longer teach classes, my job was interfering with the classes and my job pays the bills I still enjoy painting........

Last edited:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Art has always been an interesting hobby for me, both in painting and photography. Photography is now nearly impossible to even find film, so my cameras will sit and collect dust. Too bad too, I loved playing with film speed and F stops, just to fool the camera and get interesting pictures.

Took art in school (painting), but really appreciated the simplicity in the style of Bob Ross. There used to be several other higher end artists on the PBS stations and I taped some of their shows for additional techniques. Maybe it's time again to take the old easel outside and paint something.

Something other than my toenails :laughing9:

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Art has always been an interesting hobby for me, both in painting and photography. Photography is now nearly impossible to even find film, so my cameras will sit and collect dust. Too bad too, I loved playing with film speed and F stops, just to fool the camera and get interesting pictures.

Took art in school (painting), but really appreciated the simplicity in the style of Bob Ross. There used to be several other higher end artists on the PBS stations and I taped some of their shows for additional techniques. Maybe it's time again to take the old easel outside and paint something.

Something other than my toenails :laughing9:

:laughing7:

It's been 6 or 7 years but I could order B&W 16mm film cheap. I found a guy online who told me where to get it. In fact now that I think about it, I think it was just Kodak. They don't advertize it but they still make the old movie and still films.

Using old 16 & 8mm movie cameras is still very big throughout Europe I'm told.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wish I still had my enlarger, B&W is a great medium for photography :icon_thumleft:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While in the airforce i worked in intelligence division, we had a full lab, i learned how to develop and print all my own pictures, since i could do my own work we were encourged to practice so i had full use any time i wanted. I rarely printed anything smaller than 8x10 and many times printed 14x16 and 18x20. I use to order my b/w film in 100 ft rolls and load my own 35mm rolls.

S

stefen

I just wish I still had my enlarger, B&W is a great medium for photography :icon_thumleft:

Still have a B & W Bessler 23C enlarger Nikon lense, timer, trays and all other allied equipment, all set to equip my darkroom that never was built...(all equip was never used...most still in original boxes)...that someday we always talk about never came...Oh well...

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still have several antique cameras, my favorite is an Exacta which is the 1st SLR made. In addition I have several adapters for different body types, a slew of lenses, 2 & 3 time adapters, and a ton of filters including fog, sepia, starburst and special portrait ones. It is one hell of a good hobby. BTW, I have a walk-in closet, that would be my dark room :laughing7:

Learned to develop, enlarge, crop, etc from my father when I was 8 and continued to learn from him through the years.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Digital technology really took the zeal out of classic film processing. Although I've heard some top photographers still prefer film. I haven't kept up with the industry but back a decade or so ago many major motion pictures were still being shot with film. The reason being the reproduction to digital advantages (higher quality copies).

But today digital is so easy and a heck of a lot cheaper.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Badger, I really don't know enough about digital to comment. I don't know if there is a way to fool digital, like messing with the ASA/DIN when shooting. You could get some interesting shots trying to fool a camera.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang badger, I'da never guessed. You a painter!! Funny I should come across this post. I'm thinking of retiring in Jan and picking up the ol' paintbrush again. I even googled some oil painting sites yesterday just to get a feel about what's out there to assist. That Ross wet-on-wet style is pretty simple so I may do a few of those just to loosen up. I've done a number of those in the past. My favorite medium is pencil sketching. It's very relaxing and forgiving. :)

Coureur de Bios

Feb 5, 2013
NW Lower Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Interesting thread. Just happened to stumble across it while surfing, as it were, some of the other forum sites. Fairly new to the forums and have mostly focused upon the Metal Detecting and Second Amendment Watch sites. Recognize a name or two from one or the other of those areas.

Have drawn and painted in most mediums for about all of the better part of my 70 plus years and, in the no accounting for taste department, have even had folks who wanted to buy a few. Have enjoyed painting in acrylics in what might be termed the most recent past, although that hasn't happened in several years. Always plan on getting back into during the snowy Michigan winter, but suddenly it somehow turns into spring and other pursuits have taken precedence. Even inventoried the paint supply last fall and restocked a few tubes, they remain unopened. Seems the only obligation that makes me get semi-serious about anything related to art is the program cover for our muzzle loading club's annual June shoot. Did a cartoon type character for the cover about twenty or better years ago and he became the club mascot of sorts. Now, while sitting on a stump during deer season, I have become obligated to conjure up an idea in which to put him into some situation for the next year's cover.

Not sure I'd want to post any of my stuff here in-as-much as I'm not sure if I'm the only one who is most critical of his or her own work. Also do most of this pecking and browsing on this iPod thingy so not real savvy on all this copying and pasting computer stuff either. You know, old dogs and new tricks. Always interesting to see what other folks can do, Looks like some very good talent here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions