Bizarre Foods!

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have always been one to try new foods, especially ethnic or foreign. Since I've watched every episode of Bizarre Foods I have been branching out more. In the last month I've had snails, sushi, octopus, treacle, spotted dick (yes, it's food!), frog legs, many curries, devon custard, indian custard, and lots of new desserts. The only thing I really hated was the octopus. The frog legs were probably my favorite. My friend told me that there is a restaurant in Texas where you can get some dish with 15 different types of meat. My husband has a relative that cooks opossum and racoon and is rumored to have cooked road kill. :P
I wouldn't eat the road kill but anything else is fair game. Any others here considered outcasts by your family cause you enjoy eating "weird" things? What's your favorite? Try anything that is awesome?

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Road killed what? I've picked up deer and rabbit and ate it. Obviously you want fresh killed, and not squished, maggot infested, crow picked road kill. Just 'cause a car hits it, don't mean it's bad.
I've had turtle, beaver, moose, deer, dove, rabbit, squirrel, pheasant, grouse, woodcock (yuk), frog legs, sushi, octopus, rattlesnake (not sure really, a friend said it was), caribou, wild turkey.
I'll try most things, but I don't think I want one of those half grown chicks in a old egg things.

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Sara77, I admire your adventurous spirit to try out "bizarre foods". I was born with a "weak tummy" the most bizarre creature I ever ate was a soft shell turtle stew. I must admit it was good but once was enough. I also tasted shark. Never again.

I love grits. Many people from the North think grits are bizarre! :D

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pepper2004 said:
in the north we call it Cream of Wheat and it still sucks with a different name
and road kill is not bad dead its good dead

OP
OP
E59

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know the road kill he picks up is fresh. :D I'm sure if I've eaten meat at one of the family hoe downs I've probably been the unwilling consumer of it too.
I haven't had turtle, I think I can eat it but I just love to catch them for my kids to play with. It's hard to say. Rattlesnake sound interesting.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Pepper2004 said:

Even though I'm an Arkie, I've got to admit that I always give 'em a miss. As the Yankee said when asked if he wanted grits, "Well, maybe just one... but make it a small one." :P

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Road Kill ?

I Pick up Fresh Roadkill and have had

Squirrel, Pheasant ( I think they call them "Turkey Buzzard" here ?) , Deer, & Turkey road kills.

Mainly my Rule of Thumb is;
If it's Animal and
it bleeds Red I'll Try it.

I'm Picky when it comes to Reptiles & Fish

Although I have also eaten Snapper Turtle, Not Road Kill But Picked up along the Road.

Very Time consuming Letting them Soak Alive for a Week with Nothing to Eat
and changing the Water often till they Clean themselves out.
All for a Tiny amount of Meat. But Definately A taste like no other
(Not like Chicken)

Have also had canned cold octopus. but too rubbery.

I'd Try Mammals But not Human
thay say you can get addicted.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
I've hunted and eaten most of the common game of the South.

Best: green wing teal (with red onion dressing)

Worst: raccoon (very greasy)

Wildest: maybe woodcock— a.k.a. timberboodle— or jacksnipe

(Yes, Virginia, there really is such a thing as a snipe, and people do hunt it.)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although Not realy Bizzare I guess,

My Favorite Winter Snack is Cold Liver Pudding.
Not Fried. Straight from the Store.

composed of pig liver, head parts, and cornmeal.

I could live off that Stuff.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
jeff of pa said:
My Favorite Winter Snack is Cold Liver Pudding.... composed of pig liver, head parts, and cornmeal.

Okay, I'm going to say this with as much dignity and reserve as I can muster...

barf.gif

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PBK said:
jeff of pa said:
My Favorite Winter Snack is Cold Liver Pudding.... composed of pig liver, head parts, and cornmeal.

Okay, I'm going to say this with as much dignity and reserve as I can muster...

Believe me if you tasted it,
I'd be willing to wager you would buy some.

It comes in Pig Intestine Like Sausage, Etc.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Eh, you're probably right. I know all about what goes into bologna and hot dogs, and it hasn't stopped me yet! :P

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I liked octopus. :-\ Did you try it smoked?

I liked tripe (from the reticulum) 'till I found out what it was... it was fantastic in a thick vegi-beef soup.

Haggis? Never tried it... :P

I saw some scary stuff in an open air market in Korea I KNOW I would never try... but everything I did eat there I really liked!

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just had frog legs and baby squid on Sunday at a local restaurant. I'll probably pass on both next time. :P :P :P

I do love sushi...even thought that's not that bizarre. :)

OP
OP
E59

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had canned octopus and it was horrid, I think the smell is what steered me away. I thought about letting my duck set on an egg for 18 days to make balut myself but a weasel or a coon got in the hen house and stole all their heads before I could to that. :-[
What is haggis?
I do love head cheese too. Not the gelatinous kind. The homemade kind with lots of seasonings blended with potatoes to make it tasty.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I don't consider them bizzare but you ought to try some swinging sirloin, huevos del toro, mountain oysters, aka calf fries. Battered or floured and deep fried-tastes like chicken. ;) A dash of hot sauce and mmm mmm good.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
love squid! we use to go fishin for them when I lived in WA lots of fun. & a diverse fishing group if I ever saw one! also love pretty much anything from the sea, snapping turtles are ok, but kinda muddy tasting, bear was a little gamey, (ok, a lot) snails are good but they use so much garlic that was all I could taste. grew up in the south, & we were poor, so we had all sorts of game on the table. & parts of cows most people wouldn't touch! but it was food & it was on the table, just don't ask ?? if you are squeamish! I will never!!! try balute(?) the egg yuk from the phillipines I think, & will not eat live octopus. don't mind some foods not cooked but live? eww

siz3petite

Apr 10, 2006
Southwest Sunny Florida
Fried Larvae for Breakfast

I was in Thailand a few years ago. For breakfast, they served fried larvae mixed with rice. It looked like Creole dirty rice so I ate it. Not bad. The street vendors serve up all kinds of strange bugs there. I'd love to sic them on the fire ants down here in Forida. I bet they can come up with some tasty recipes for our pesty bugs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread