Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok I'll start,
one of my fondest moments fishing was in 95. went to the hood canal bridge with a friend, my kiddren & her grandkids. We were fishing for silversfrom the fishin platform. Needless to say we were busy plug cuttin the herring, & keeping the kids from jumpin in, & trying to keep hats & jackets on them. Patty finally gets her kids settled & throws her line out. literally hook line & sinker, & rod & reel. we just stood there to stunned to speak when she realizes the line is caught on her coat sleeve thinking we might save the rod, we start pulling the line in, but before we can get to it, she has a fish take the bait!! It's tuggin, we're pullin line in, kids are sayin they have to go to the bathroom. She & I are still pretty speechless. at this point we can actually see the fish coming up, a nice silver. we pull some more line in & snap, there goes the fish. there goes the rod. we pack up our gear grab the kids & go home to make hot cocoa & talk about the one that got away! She died a few yrs later from a brain aneurysm. but I still can't go fishin without thinking of her & that fish. a moment I will cherish forever!

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i caught a piranha once here in Illinois
no joke on a night crawler in a retention pond next to a college campus

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
did ya kill it? there were 2 caught here in the Black River. we swim there!

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mamabear said:
did ya kill it? there were 2 caught here in the Black River. we swim there!
NO
its in cryogenic hibernation in my freezer ;D

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Once my husband and I where fishing in the Flint River. The fish where slow biting. All of a sudden I got a bite. I grabbed the reel and it started whining. No doubt about it I had a monster fish on the other end of that reel! My husband is all exciting giving me instructions on how to reel, stand, sweat, cuss, you name it he told me how to do it to get that big fish in. Finally I had it close to the boat and just yank it in over inside of the boat. Turn out to be one of the longest eels I've ever seen in my life. I was terrified!! :o That thing was flopping all around me and I'm yelling for my husband to kill it. It flopped on my bare foot....that was all it took...I jump out of the boat and was swimming towards shore. Hubby was laughing his head off. ::) All the time I am swimming and crying. Hubby got himself in control and dump the eel back into the water. He drove the boat over to where I was swimming 100 MPH. Got me back in the boat (still crying and cussing). 8) We then looked at each other. Me looking like a drown cat and burst out laughing. If the water isn't clear and I can't see what I'm hawling in I don't "yank" it into the boat unless I can see it! ;)

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
OMG Pepper that is hilarious!! you did'nt put it on the barby? wish there could've been pix!

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is a hoot
ive caught a hand full of 20 lb. snapping turtles
a soft shell turtle about 20 inches across meaner then the snapping turtles!! :nono:
saw a albino catfish onetime 2-3 pounder in a strip mine pond
cant count how many regular sized turtles mostly by hand showing off ::)
oh one day i found a little shaded hole about 4x4x4 under a tree
ended up hooking 6 smallies in the span of about an 1/2 hour
on a smoking hot august day :headbang:

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's funny, Pepper. I would have given anything to see that.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I was fishing with my little sister on the Jump River ,Price County WI...out of the canoe.... ....I dont know why but I had a pocket fisherman....so I decided to use that ...I was standing up when ...bam....something hit the side of the canoe and took my line.....I was having a heck of a time trying to sssssssteady the canoe but not lose my monster fish either....I kept fighting the fish and wasnt strong enough to pull it in....the fish was pulling the canoe and finally got me close enough to shore and I jumped ...hauling that fish to the shore with me....My sister was screaming her head off and so was I....some other fisherman rowed over because they thought we ran into a bear....I started walking up the bank and dragging that fish in....54 inch Muskey.....Holy Cripe. On a pocket fisherman no less!

Cheyenne and a bunch of us were fishing the Jump last summer....we were in the shallows and just walking up the river....one of the guys got a bass on his line and handed it to Cheyenne and told her to pull it in....She was struggling and struggling and no one could figure out why....finally she got to shore and drug it in...huge muskey hit on the bass as soon as he handed the rod to her.....and here this tiny girl was fighting it the whole time.

The girls and I were fishing Lake Wausau off the pontoon...we went into a quiet bay where several other fisherman were....we ran out of bait but Mariah wanted to fish so I told her to put cheese on her hook....the guy in the next boat had some stupid comments to make about us fishing with cheese....we were trying to ignore him when Mariah got a hard hit...pulled in a huge large mouth bass....two seconds later Chey got a walleye ..
The guy next to us didnt say a word ....but his friend in the boat said " Would you girls mind tossing over some of that cheese?"

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Fishing at the locks and dam one July 4th with my two sons, the fish weren't biting much, but we were getting plenty of snags.

Suddenly, a discarded McDonald's bag starts hopping around, right beside me. :o I grab it and shake the rat out of it....hmm, someone didn't eat their lunch. In the bag, I find some chicken McNuggets. As usual, that light bulb lights up over my head. I'm fishing with a white Mr. Twister, so I reel in and put half a nugget on the jig with the twister tail and cast that out.

BAM! My rod bows down like it's hooked to a log, and that's what the boys claimed, that I was snagged and just fooling around (again). I say no, just watch, it pulls back on it's own, see? Then I passed the rod around and let everyone hold it for a minute. They've both caught a lot of fish in their life, but they're pretty impressed with this one. But soon, they're back to telling me I'm never going to reel that log in, I should just break my line.

After about 20 min., the fish tires out, and I land the biggest hybrid white bass any of us has ever seen in these parts. People came running off the fishing pier to look and ask what I caught it on. I hold up the nugget box, but I don't think they took me seriously.

My brother-in-law is a pretty adventuresome guy, once had his pic on the front page for riding his bicycle on a frozen river. One year the trout hatchery up in the mountains flooded, releasing brood trout into Shavers Fork. So here we go at 3am, all our gear loaded into his Corvette, it's been snowing for days.

Close to dawn, on a twisty two-lane road, we zip around a curve and there's a huge white horse standing in the middle of the road. We stop within inches and all I see is the horses belly at windshield height. :o

We arrive and begin fishing, catching one here and there, using chest waders, the water is so cold it feels like burning instead of freezing. We get to a point in the river where it's all frozen over, but we see trout under there. BIL produces a hatchet and chops a hole in the ice. We're catching fish out of two holes, then the ice breaks and plunks us into the water. Whew, no problem, the water isn't over our waders. We're catching fish while dozens are circling around our feet.

Later on, the fishing gets slow, and we climb back on top of the ice. We're standing there thinking of what to do next. CRACK! The ice we're standing on breaks off and starts drifting downstream. We know the water is over our heads in places, so we're kinda nervous. CRACK! Our frosty raft bumps a rock and splits into two rafts. Ok, so what do we do now? Fish! Here we go, floating down Shaver's Fork on two sheets of ice, and we're still catching fish.

We reach a shallow spot where our ice rafts hit some rocks and break apart. Except we tip off into the deep area, over our waders. Talk about shrinkage! :o With waders full of ice water, and winter coats soaked too, we are two heavy dudes. By that time, we were miles from the car, the snow is ten inches deep, and here we go slogging along in a deserted state park. When we reached the first picnic shelter I built a roaring fire and we strip off our gear. Now there's two wet, naked, hillbillies cooking trout in a park. Luckily, nobody spotted us. Or if they did, they avoided contact. :P

Whew, that story went a little long. Maybe I should have told you about catching 12lb carp with 4lb line on ultralight rods.

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Excavater, that is one heck of a story! I would like to have seen you 2 hillbillies neked around the fire, or maybe not. Hope you tell this one to the family cuz it needs to be passed down!

Nick, wow what a fish!

Gypsy, I have never fished muskees but have heard they're great fighters. I think I'd like to go fishin w/ you. prabably never a dull moment!

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
mamabear said:
Excavater, that is one heck of a story! I would like to have seen you 2 hillbillies neked around the fire, or maybe not. Hope you tell this one to the family cuz it needs to be passed down!

Nick, wow what a fish!

Gypsy, I have never fished muskees but have heard they're great fighters. I think I'd like to go fishin w/ you. prabably never a dull moment!

I am looking forward to meeting you and hunting and fishing with you...are you going to Camb's hunt? I plan on it also....

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
yup I plan on going. haven't heard the date yet. have you?

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Thanks Buddy,

I like him too,
That movie is a fun one to just sit back and enjoy from time to time

Some times you just have to watch the silly stuff. LOL

Thom

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy and I were night fishing on Lake Keystone about a fourth a mile off a small island. I hooked onto something that was huge! I couldn't make any headway at all trying to reel it in for nearly an hour and I was using 40 lb test mono for catfish luckily. Finally it made one big run and it stripped off about all my line and had my drag singing like Pavorati. It actually pulled the boat quite a ways, almost onto the shore of the little island. Before we got a good look at it it ran across the beach, climbed a tree and flew off! That's my one that got away story and it's all true except for the part I made up. M :P nty

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Monty, lmao! ya had me going. I was fishin a pond that had a fence running thru a perfect spot for bass. I cast a couple times then got a good hit. was trying to keep him away from the fence but he wasn't gonna listen. sure enough he goes straight for it. I give the line a big yank & up the fence he goes. here I am on shore, tennis shoes & shorts & this is snapper heaven! & my fish is floppin all over the place hanging from that fence. I run up to the house thro my boat in the truck race around to the gate jump out open it, jump in drive it, jump out close the bleepin gate, jump back in rush to the pond. thro the boat in, amazing I had the oars!! & go out to my fish. It was still gulping air! needless to say I enjoyed a bass dinner that night. it was a bout a 4 lb'er.

idighistory

Feb 19, 2008
Bellaire Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter/ Pioneer 202
My best was dry fly fishing at this one pond,night fishing between 9:00 and 10:00p.m, during the Hex hatch caught my limit of brown trout all between 13" and18" with some lost flies and and losing some. Boy was I shaking from all that action!

My dad and I were ice fishing for white fish at Torch Lk. Northern Michigan after a major thaw, had about 2-3" of standing water on top of the ice. We threw our catch outside of the shanty and we ended up chasing them around the shanty.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread