Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Codeless tech is cool.
Back in my day I had to do the code but have no problem with non code.
I never use it anymore but still have my key and may get back into it.
Have never run out of free t-shirts doing public safety on 2 meters for races and events.
With a general class ticket I have met friends on voice from all over the world on HF.
Daily I have talked to folks in 5 western states and Canada.
(Western states tend to be larger areas than eastern states).

If I am out of range of cell towers I can still talk to someone.
Now they have satellite phones that work great. Anywhere anytime.
Ham radio has it's limits. Calls are free though. $20 here for a phone patch for a year.
Some folks will patch you for free.

Grey

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you all might know, I'm in the US Army. I'm a radio Operator by trade and I've argued this for as long as I've been in the service. Lately, radios have almost become obsolete, being replaced by computers and software. HF has become the bilge of the radio spectrum, too noise and too much junk. It pulls the ash and trash duty or worse, it's been religated to theory and historical citations. Plus, HF is low enough that you pick up quite a bit of clutter from simple electrical components.

Never the less, my argument has always been that HF is free, the equipment is inexpensive and about 80% of the world uses it effectively. You can literally talk around the world with a $250.00 transmitter and a $100.00 antenna and a little skill on HF whereas it costs tens of millions of dollars to launch 4 satellites and pay a team of techs to figure it all out so I can talk around the world on UHF SATCOM. Of course even now with computers, it's getting easier now that the architecture is in place that supports the WWW. I believe we (i.e. Military and other radio professionals) are becoming lazy and neglecting our true radio skills because we like our toys and technology. IMO HF is sexy, but it's a dying art. Heck, if I'm not mistaken, code was even dropped from Special Forces training a year or so ago!
Well, I'm ranting - I would like to obtain my civilian basic licence, so as to appease 'The Man'. When the zombies come to eat my brains in 2012, I guess I can at least talk to myself, on my radio!

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
SC_hunter said:
EDDE said:
This is something id want to get into on the cheap,any ideas?
EDDE....The best thing to do is go to a "hamfest" near you. It is kinda like a big flea market. Try and find out who is a ham in your area and just ask him about the hobby. He will fill you in on all the specifics. They are usually a real talkative bunch.

Sorry to contradict you, but No. A hamfest is a place where people are VERY proud of their stuff and they will only get rid of it for major bucks. As far as a talkative bunch, your right. I think that's all they go there for.

Been so upset so many times at some of the prices they were charging for 'junk'.

For the most part though, if you do get on, it's mostly ol' timers talking about 'stuff'... Hey, that doesn't sound all that bad now that I think about it. At least it gets you away from the 'kids' on the internet forums badmouthing everything you say.

Let my lic expire too. I did, however, get into GOES weather birds at one point. I've got a couple dishes and LNA under my belt... but the internet is much faster these day... so that's expired too.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to hear you feel that way Miko,
I have met many good friends on HF and while helping out with comms during public activities on 2m.
Public service is a prime point of Ham Radio.

Gosh, if you don't want to buy their "junk" then don't.
Yup there is a lot of stuff at Ham Conventions that is ancient.
I don't want a PRC22 from Vietnam times but someone may.

I do like to see the new stuff and get some more connectors for a discount.
My antenna farm is full right now but want to know what is new.

I like to travel and am not always in cell phone range.
Cannot afford a satalite phone.

Ham radio keeps a lot of folks in touch with the world.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KD0CWQ

After a tornado wiped Greensburg Kansas off the map it was determined that we had communication problems. All emergency communications failed, and emergency people were not able to communicate with each other. A program was established using Ham Radios to keep hospitals in touch with each other.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
73's de YI9LCA

I've also been Z3QZX.

When I'm at home, K1LCA maritime mobile, western Fl and el Carib, the land of hoodoo, voodoo, and all kinda weird $hit. (one of my favorite movies of all times by the way)

Working a Yeasu FT100D micro mobile with a Cushcraft MA5B over in YI9 land. In the truck, it's the ATAS 100.

On my boat I wire into an insulated 40' ss backstay from the mast.

I've got a couple of thumbs up :thumbsup: :thumbsup: for the folks operating the Waterway Net. The web page is http://www.waterwayradio.net/ I recently sailed from St. Pete, Fl. to Cancun, Mexico and they were great. I gave regular position reports and received updated weather along the way in exchange.

Nice bunch of folks there.

minelabdan

Tenderfoot
Mar 22, 2009
CQ CQ CQ de KD6GH

Just a shout to all my felow hams. I am not actve on HF but have an Icom 2M rig in my truck. Kenwood TS-180S, AT-180. Had a homebrew Tri Band Quad that I used to keep in touch with my buddy in Singapore but the Santa Ana winds tore it apart and bent the toer mast. I'm to old to be climbing towers now days. I am contacting some local clubs and try and get some folks together for an antenna party.

73's HH

Dan KD6GH

Attachments

• KD6GH - Dog.jpg
    KD6GH - Dog.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 480

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Second generation ham here....KD5YQF.....Love all types of Radio, C.B.,..Ham, Shortwave, Scanners...You name it...

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WhackJob said:
They Killed the hobby when they kill the code! >:(

I've seen alot of changes over the years, my Father was a ham since the 1930's (K5KIO).....I grew up around Radio.....What really hurts it is now we are all just "Plugers, and Players", There are not too many guys who build their own equipment anymore..........Lack of code, just furthered the trend.....I still have fun tho......

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I used to wrench on my vehicles back in the 1970s, hot rodding tended to blow things up.
Now I can help my kids with somethings like brakes and such but the computer units just have to be replaced.
Cannot rebuild micro chips in my garage. Same with modern radios.

Sorry to hear Special Forces get no training in Code because it will never die and always useful when everything else fails.
My Son is in Iraq for the third time and has his ham license but is still learning code during his off time on his own.

Grey

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
greydigger said:
Well, I used to wrench on my vehicles back in the 1970s, hot rodding tended to blow things up.
Now I can help my kids with somethings like brakes and such but the computer units just have to be replaced.
Cannot rebuild micro chips in my garage. Same with modern radios.

Sorry to hear Special Forces get no training in Code because it will never die and always useful when everything else fails.
My Son is in Iraq for the third time and has his ham license but is still learning code during his off time on his own.

Grey

Very good points...I used to think I was a mechanic, but not any more.....Yes too bad about the code in the military...

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
minelabdan said:
CQ CQ CQ de KD6GH

Just a shout to all my felow hams. I am not actve on HF but have an Icom 2M rig in my truck. Kenwood TS-180S, AT-180. Had a homebrew Tri Band Quad that I used to keep in touch with my buddy in Singapore but the Santa Ana winds tore it apart and bent the toer mast. I'm to old to be climbing towers now days. I am contacting some local clubs and try and get some folks together for an antenna party.

73's HH

Dan KD6GH

Too Cool....

mrtim

Jan 7, 2008
Nancy, KY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Spectra V3i HP, Whites MX Sport, Fisher F2, Bounty Hunter Quicksilver, Nokta/Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a couple UHF repeaters up and running in my area. 443.825+ and 444.200+ both running PL tone of 127.3
My call is KR4MT but not too active on the radio, My job keeps me tired of messing around with radios most of the time. I repair radios, I'm lead tech at my company and have been a ham since '85.

73's
Tim

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
alpha78 said:
Anyone here into Amateur Radio besides myself?

I'm about half way through the HamTestOnline course which I like a lot. Was concerned about the technical stuff but feel comfortable about the subject.:)

However, I may not take the exam as I just don't trust Washington anymore. Mainly I'm concerned about loss of communication with the outside world. And I have a nice SONY FM Stereo/SW/MW/LW PLL Synthesized receiver for the same reason.

Same with my new two-way radios that used to require a special license but am waiting to see what the new rules will be. Just as you don't need your callsign available for all to see, I don't see the need in the Rocky Mountains anyway, for the Feds to know too much of my personal stuff. FIgure I'm entitled after having to pay for all their goofy bailouts and programs.

Kudo's to you HAMs! If it weren't for you we probably would know squat about what's going on in the world.

BB

bcinbucks

Dec 30, 2007
Philadelphia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a licensed ham (yet) But have been a short wave listener (international broadcasts / ham traffic) for years. Use a Kenwood R2000, several portables and a scanner. Really enjoy it. Will be looking into getting a ham license soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread