Purchased two American Eagles 1oz Gold Bullion Coins for $120 yesterday

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I could not believed my eyes when I saw them on the garage sale table.

No one was interested in buying them. No one was even looking at them.

Got them for $60 the two of them. The owner of the coins told me well they are worth $50 each so give me $60 for each.

I paid $160 for the two of them.

Today I went to return them and explained the owner that they were worth more than $1,000 each if taken to a Coin dealer.

Got my $160 back.

Sorry guys, I broke the rules but my conscience did not let me keep these two coins.

DW

OP
OP
Darth Walker

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correction Paid $120 for the two of them. The rest was some old watches I got.

DW

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV
That was the right thing to do. Honestly don't know if I would have done it myself. I like to think I would.

A tip of my hat to you sir.

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
That's what a bargain is... I'd take the money and run. If you buy a painting and a copy of the declaration of independence is in the back of it, do you return it? Hopefully your deed will bring you a dream box or 2! But I'd take the 2K over any dream box... lol

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle
Cherryman68 said:
That was the right thing to do. Honestly don't know if I would have done it myself. I like to think I would.

A tip of my hat to you sir.

Totally agree on all accounts. I wish you the best of luck in the upcoming months! :thumbsup:

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Darth Walker said:
Well, I could not believed my eyes when I saw them on the garage sale table.

No one was interested in buying them. No one was even looking at them.

Got them for $60 the two of them. The owner of the coins told me well they are worth $50 each so give me $60 for each.

I paid $160 for the two of them.

Today I went to return them and explained the owner that they were worth more than $1,000 each if taken to a Coin dealer.

Got my $160 back.

Sorry guys, I broke the rules but my conscience did not let me keep these two coins.

DW

Good choice, in my mind too.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
:headbang: - Makes you wonder where the guy got the coins? Hard to believe someone would just stick them out like that but then again before I got into CRH I wouldn't have believed you could walk into a bank and have them hand you full rolls of silver coins. That person was lucky you picked those up.

Maine_Jim

ocjeff

Oct 14, 2009
ocean city maryland
Detector(s) used
excalibur, cz20, v3
hi, you were well with in your rights to keep them. he made the deal to sell them. by returning them and telling him what they are worth will give you good karma for something better down the road. have a great nights sleep! Jeff

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
You know my hat is off to you as well Sir. The right and good thing to do by far. I don't know if I would have had the same strength of conscience to do the same to be honest. But obviously they did not know what they had and they were having that sale to begin with because they needed some extra cash. Now they will no doubt have it. Good deal all around I'd say. Good luck to you.

Golden Silver

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. Walker,

You should double post this in "Garage Sale Finds" as well. I think that many there would blow their gaskets. I don't know what I'd've done, if I were wearing your shoes, but that was indisputably generous of you. And I always thought that you were firmly aligned with the Dark Side. My opinion has changed.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darth Walker:

Your honesty has a far greater value than those 2 coins. Your goodness will be returned to you 10 fold. :thumbsup:

obsessedwithsilver

Sep 26, 2009
I truly believe when we do the right thing wonderful things will happen. And you definitely did the right thing. I wish you all the luck in the world this next year. Something great will happen.

OWS

An Ri Rua

Apr 7, 2008
On da money
Detector(s) used
Mermet brass pendulum; Aqua Locator (antique), Luddite Skeptic detector
Hey Darth,

like everyone who surprises themselves by their lurking goodness (!!), you know you found the greatest treasure by far. Sleep well, as another poster said, vistas of human potential have just opened in your mind.

You hit the real jackpot buddy

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008
You did the right thing. I am "almost completely" sure I would have done the same thing, but I have never been confronted with this much of a score. The closest I have come is when I got a roll of SBAs at the bank when I asked for halves (brought them back the next day) and when the old guys at the coin shop mess up the math on my receipt...uh, you said $45 instead of $25... Who cares if you get a "payback" on day; it just seems like the right thing to do.

Now, with that said, I did get a dream score at the B of A a few months ago, and I did not contact the owner. I got a ton of halves that some old lady brought in. The bank knew who she was, took her money, and when I wandered in, sold it to me for face. I suppose I could have told the bank to put me in touch with her so she could get 10X her money, but I did not do this. I guess what feels different is that you were in direct contact with the person, where I was one step detached. I guess things are never clear, but I know you can say that you did the right thing.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hats off to you, sir!

I don't believe that good deeds always get rewarded and bad deeds always get punished. But what you have done is making the world a better place to live, just like a whiff of fresh air, a slice of sunshine, etc.

OP
OP
Darth Walker

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least I keep them for One day.

They are beautiful and heavy. It is when Gold more beautiful then Silver.

On the halves I have not found anything in about 4 weeks.

Thanks for your support

DW

goldeagle

Jun 28, 2009
THE EAST COAST
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,EXCAL-II
well done ,that my frtiends is called KARMA, you will get it back 10 fold people have to remember that you leave this earth with nothing.the same way we came in but at least you know for the rest of your time you did the right thing good things happen to good people. thats my theory anyhow. congrats and hey i hope you find a 10 oz nugget.

supn9

Oct 21, 2009
That was nice of you. And you didn't break any rules. Not only that, you gave someone some wisdom :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread