Returning another piece of family history

vthepresident

Dec 30, 2007
Charlottesville, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Prism II, Tesoro Sand Shark
Tomorrow, I am returning to the farm where I dug a Virginia State Seal button two weeks ago. I have made a display with the button and some info about it, and I am going to return it to the owner. The owner's grandfather was a Confederate surgeon, and it was almost certainly a button from his coat, since he lived on the same property and was the only soldier in the family.

I returned a Southern Cross of Honor to the same gentleman that I found in his yard last year, and I hope this frame gets a place on his wall next to that.

Thanks for all the great button cleaning advice, and as you can see, I chose to do just some light dry brushing and some gentle tooth pick work to get the details to show. You can still see lots of green and a little gilt, and I think that's about as good as it's going to get.

Thanks for looking,
V
DSCN1883-1.jpg

DSCN1885.jpg

DSCN1886.jpg

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. Congrats on finding and being able to return that piece of history. Great post. :thumbsup:

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what it's all about...you definately made a life-long friend. Plus you'll be able to hunt there when ever you want... :icon_thumleft:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Guess what dude?

You just received your first "Honorable BANNER"

Better than the typical "Banner"

You rock, and the metal detecting God's are going to shine brightly on you.

Watch and see

lidigger

Sep 4, 2010
Savannah, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, White's BeachHunter 300, White's Prizm IV, White's Bullseye II Pointer (x2)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a generous gesture. I am sure he is thrilled that you have been able to help him connect with his past. I think this was a win-win situation for you both.

Chris

OP
OP
vthepresident

vthepresident

Dec 30, 2007
Detector(s) used
Thanks!

I believe this button will more to him than it ever will to me, so I think it is the right thing to do. Now I get to look forward to an awesome day of hunting at his farm tomorrow!

My father in law is going with me, and he has a new Spectra D3 to try out, and the weather is supposed to be perfect, so I'm a happy guy.

If it could only rain for about four or five hours during the night to soften things up..................

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats really cool man..im not a spiritual freak..but i do believe in karma :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Glad to see kudos already awarded. Definately deserved. Great piece of history as well as the farm owner's history, for sure.

OP
OP
vthepresident

vthepresident

Dec 30, 2007
Detector(s) used
Banner? Did I miss something? Where is it?

[mod]Marc is the only person who can award this...we can move the thread to "Honorable Mention" but he is the person who adds the HM banner to your profile. [/mod]

OP
OP
vthepresident

vthepresident

Dec 30, 2007
Detector(s) used
Oh I understand! No problem!

The landowner absolutely loved the frame. He was very suprised, and very thankful.

In exchange, I had a GREAT day detecting at his farm again today!
See my post in Today's Finds

Thanks for reading!
V

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread