Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    us
    Relic Hunter & Raconteur Extraordinaire

Mar 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2SE, Fisher 1266X, Garrett Propointer
    301 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

My 3 Best Finds This Year - And I Couldn't Keep Any Of Them

Went to a new site yesterday in central Virginia that was allegedly used as a hospital for Confederate soldiers. Pulled some clad out of the ground, but nothing else . . . until my granddaughters who happened to be visiting next door showed up! That made it all worthwhile. Then, my daughter-in-law asked me if I'd mind driving about 5 miles to where her aunt lived and search for a diamond engagement ring that her aunt lost about 4 years ago. A sad story is connected to the losing of the ring. The aunt's daughter had been in a terrible accident - struck by a drunk driver. She almost died. She lived, but she is disabled for life and bound to a wheelchair. She's doing much better now, thank the Lord. However, at the time the ring was lost, her Mama had lost a lot of weight due to the stress and worry over the accident. So while she was in her front yard one day, the ring slipped off her finger. So I loaded up my gear and drove over. My granddaughters tagged along to "help."

The first signal was a dud - something very deep and large, so I knew it wasn't worth digging. I took about 6 more steps and my MXT Pro, running in the Coin and Jewelry mode with presets, rang out loud and clear with a 0-4 VDI. Sure enough, 2 inches down was the ring. I hadn't been swinging the detector more than 2 minutes! The smile on Mom's face, along with her daughter's "thank you" was payment enough. Below is a photo of me with my other 2 "finds" for the day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	md_granddaughters2.jpg 
Views:	928 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	610313  
    "A land without ruins is a land without memories -- a land without memories is a land without history." ~ Rev. Abram Joseph Ryan, Poet Laureate of the Confederacy

Visit
    Old Virginia Blog

Proud great-great grandson of three Confederate soldiers: John Meredith Crutchfield who served with the 60th Virginia, Maurice Coffey, & John McGann who both served with the 51st Virginia. Grandpa Crutchfield and Grandpa Coffey were both wounded and both served time in Yankee prisons.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2011
    Occupied Virginia
    WHITE MXT & NEW VX3 and a few others
    65 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: My 3 Best Finds This Year - And I Couldn't Keep Any Of Them

Way to go, sad but G reat story..

Feb 2008
    8 times

Great Story!

us
    Jan 2012
    76 times

Couple of keepers there for sure.

us

Mar 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    301 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Arey
    Way to go, sad but G reat story..
    That's the 2nd gold ring I've found for other folks. I'm delighted to help and returning these items is a wonderful feeling. But I'd sure like to find one some time to keep!
    "A land without ruins is a land without memories -- a land without memories is a land without history." ~ Rev. Abram Joseph Ryan, Poet Laureate of the Confederacy

Visit
    Old Virginia Blog

Proud great-great grandson of three Confederate soldiers: John Meredith Crutchfield who served with the 60th Virginia, Maurice Coffey, & John McGann who both served with the 51st Virginia. Grandpa Crutchfield and Grandpa Coffey were both wounded and both served time in Yankee prisons.

lost hunter

us
    Apr 2006
    a few miles from the ocean
    Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
    8 times

True treasures....... I just heard of an aquaintance whose daughter lost a diamond ring years ago throwing a snowball. I'm trying to make arrangement to for a recovery hunt. Hopefully, my story will be equally rewarding. Blessings to ya, Ralph

us

Mar 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    301 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by petersra
    True treasures....... I just heard of an aquaintance whose daughter lost a diamond ring years ago throwing a snowball. I'm trying to make arrangement to for a recovery hunt. Hopefully, my story will be equally rewarding. Blessings to ya, Ralph
    Thanks. Hope you find it Ralph.

Visit
    Old Virginia Blog

us
    Nov 2008
    Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
    76 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Priceless! I VOTE HONORABLE BANNER! Much better than a Banner relic find on top!

us
    Jan 2005
    somewhere in Asia for now
    T2 SE,Sovereign Elite,two Excal II s and a cibola
    510 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)

You have some real treasures there.
    God and country.

us

Mar 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    301 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Woodland Detectors
    Priceless! I VOTE HONORABLE BANNER! Much better than a Banner relic find on top!
    Thanks Mike! I should have gotten a photo of me, Mama, and the ring, but was in a hurry to be some place and didn't take the time. Oh well.

Visit
    Old Virginia Blog

us

Mar 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    301 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by birdman
    You have some real treasures there.
    You got that right. They loved the clad I gave them.

Visit
    Old Virginia Blog

Jan 2007
    91 times

What a great story and I am sure a great feeling. Don't you worry Karma is sure going to come your way. What goes around comes around! Beautiful girls

ad
    Mar 2009
    WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
    570 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (3)

great post !
      No matter how long the storm, the sun always shines again between the clouds ...... 

Charter Member

Jan 2007
    Northern Middle Tennessee
    Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
    1240 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)

Richard, I'd say that a magazine would be very interested in that story and you are the man to write it. Although I have not met you personally yet, your reputation precedes you and I'd expect an act of kindness like this from you. HH, Quindy.
    Everyone will make a good find on occasion. The challenge is to find CW relics consistently.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors