๐Ÿ† HONORABLE MENTION Found grandfathers wedding ring!!!

jangrok

Dec 27, 2012
New Jersey
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Nox 800, Garret ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last night I went out and finally bought a Garret ace 250. Today it was warm enough to thaw the ground so I decided to go out and start learning how to use it. Since I was a child I had heard about how my grandfather lost his gold wedding ring in the front yard of our family home while caring for the lawn. Nobody was ever able to find it. My father bought a metal detector from radio shack about 8 years ago and he had tried to find it, and from time to time me and my brother would take it out in our front yard to try and find it. All of us had zero luck. My grandfather had lost this ring about 28-30 years ago ( way before I was even born) he was very upset about losing it. He passed away on January 1st 2005, that was 8 years and 6 days ago. So today as I assembled the ace 250 I thought I should search one more time for this ring. With metal detector in hand I walked to my front yard and selected the jewelry setting on the ace. While slowly sweeping my yard I kept getting false and faint hits. This was probably due to the power lines almost above me, so I dialed the sensitivity Down and dug some of the more promising hits. To my disappointment most of these hits were tin foil and a 1983 nickel. The last hit I got sounded worth digging so I dug a hole 6 inches deep and alas...foil of some sort. I scanned the hole again to make sure I didn't miss anything, but the ace remained silent. As I was about to fill the hole in I noticed a small clump of dirt that had fallen off the shovel from the initial dig. What I saw I almost couldn't believe. There out of the corner of my eye I saw the glint of gold. I picked up this clump and sure enough it was a golden wedding ring! I could not believe my eyes, my heart was beating extremely fast. I picked the ring out of its dirt nest and proceeded to clean the rest of the dirt off of it. The ring was in perfect shape, no nicks or dings or scratches! I took it inside and showed my parents and cleaned it with warm water. After we all were done looking at it in astonishment and recounting stories of my grandfather, I took it to the house next door (which is where my grandmother lives) and gave her the ring from her husband/my grandfather. I've never seen her happier in all of my 22 years of life. It truly was a great feeling :) she is now wearing that ring which she never thought anyone would ever see again. I don't think I will ever dig anything with more sentimental and emotional value as this ring. I included some pictures I took during the dig. This was a great first hunt with the ace 250 and a great first hunt of 2013! Oh and one more thing, on the inside of the ring it says 14kE ARTCARVED. Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

Attachments

• image-1195586395.jpg
    image-1195586395.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 339
  • image-1627323617.jpg
    image-1627323617.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 285
  • image-3157631515.jpg
    image-3157631515.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 304
  • image-4100886010.jpg
    image-4100886010.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 307
  • image-3288005229.jpg
    image-3288005229.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 383
  • image-2254419528.jpg
    image-2254419528.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 337
  • image-905083119.jpg
    image-905083119.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 305
  • image-3077743218.jpg
    image-3077743218.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 313
Last edited by a moderator:

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply awesome!!! Maybe even a banner find, because of the story behind this special ring!!!

:thumbsup:

OP
OP
jangrok

jangrok

Dec 27, 2012
New Jersey
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks dansalata! I look forwarding to pursuing this hobby in the year/years to come

OP
OP
jangrok

jangrok

Dec 27, 2012
New Jersey
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks joe! I am new to treasure net and I don't quite know the difference between banner finds or honorable mentions?

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great story..I'm happy you found it..save it for when you get married :thumbsup:

kilmer

Mar 30, 2005
Central Indiana
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3 , F75 LTD, CZ70 pro, Teknetics G2, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome story. Talk about a tear jerker. Congratulations that would have been a great story no matter who found and returned it but even better since you are related. Hope you have many more great finds.

Don
HH

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and find!! You will love the 250

TreasurDiggrNY

Dec 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story, congrats, definitely a find of a lifetime, made my wife cry.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
only one word for this AWESOME

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is truly a heart warming story for sure! I am happy for you and I know that will by far be the best dig you could have made!
The ace 250 is a good little machine and it rocks for the money. The best two machines for the money are the 250 and the cibola.
The new year is starting out pretty grand for you and your grand mother. :thumbsup: Congrats!!

OP
OP
jangrok

jangrok

Dec 27, 2012
New Jersey
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everybody! I love the support and sharing of stories on treasure net, that's what made me want to sign up and share stories as well.

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last night I went out and finally bought a Garret ace 250. Today it was warm enough to thaw the ground so I decided to go out and start learning how to use it. Since I was a child I had heard about how my grandfather lost his gold wedding ring in the front yard of our family home while caring for the lawn. Nobody was ever able to find it. My father bought a metal detector from radio shack about 8 years ago and he had tried to find it, and from time to time me and my brother would take it out in our front yard to try and find it. All of us had zero luck. My grandfather had lost this ring about 28-30 years ago ( way before I was even born) he was very upset about losing it. He passed away on January 1st 2005, that was 8 years and 6 days ago. So today as I assembled the ace 250 I thought I should search one more time for this ring. With metal detector in hand I walked to my front yard and selected the jewelry setting on the ace. While slowly sweeping my yard I kept getting false and faint hits. This was probably due to the power lines almost above me, so I dialed the sensitivity Down and dug some of the more promising hits. To my disappointment most of these hits were tin foil and a 1983 nickel. The last hit I got sounded worth digging so I dug a hole 6 inches deep and alas...foil of some sort. I scanned the hole again to make sure I didn't miss anything, but the ace remained silent. As I was about to fill the hole in I noticed a small clump of dirt that had fallen off the shovel from the initial dig. What I saw I almost couldn't believe. There out of the corner of my eye I saw the glint of gold. I picked up this clump and sure enough it was a golden wedding ring! I could not believe my eyes, my heart was beating extremely fast. I picked the ring out of its dirt nest and proceeded to clean the rest of the dirt off of it. The ring was in perfect shape, no nicks or dings or scratches! I took it inside and showed my parents and cleaned it with warm water. After we all were done looking at it in astonishment and recounting stories of my grandfather, I took it to the house next door (which is where my grandmother lives) and gave her the ring from her husband/my grandfather. I've never seen her happier in all of my 22 years of life. It truly was a great feeling :) she is now wearing that ring which she never thought anyone would ever see again. I don't think I will ever dig anything with more sentimental and emotional value as this ring. I included some pictures I took during the dig. This was a great first hunt with the ace 250 and a great first hunt of 2013! Oh and one more thing, on the inside of the ring it says 14kE ARTCARVED. Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

Wonderful story..perhaps your Grandfather was guiding you....

OP
OP
jangrok

jangrok

Dec 27, 2012
New Jersey
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Squiggy I had thought that too.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well that ring find - money wize " "paid" off the machines cost -- the metal value of the ring was worth the cost of the machine ---but due to the fact it was your gramp pa' s lost ring --its priceless , your gramps can rest easy now that "the ring" has been found and your grandma can be happy with a "token" of love from him & you --good job !!!!

Last edited:

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well that ring find - money wize " "paid" off your machines cost -- the metal value of the ring was worth the cost of the machine ---but due to the fact it was your gramp pa' s lost ring --its priceless , your gramps can rest easy now"the ring" has been founds and your grandma can be happy with a "token" of love from him & you --good job !!!!

Nice thought!

OP
OP
jangrok

jangrok

Dec 27, 2012
New Jersey
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ivan I agree, you couldn't put a price on the ring, it is most definitely priceless :)

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jangrok,
Well you made the GREATEST find that you ever will with a metal detector, And gave the GREATEST gift that you will ever give your Grandmother. Now how could you ever top that ? Congradulations on an Awesome find and an Awesome story
You have to think that your Grandpa was guiding your hand.....just think of all the
spots in that yard that you could have passed that coil over, you picked that spot!
Amazing And here's hoping for many more Amazing finds in the future...............HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread